As many of you who purchased a refurbished A200 from 1SaleADay (and possibly ebay and others) know:
1) it does not get the ICS (4.0.3) OTA update
2) it does not work with the usual instructions for updating A200 (gets the Android with Exclamation on it)
3) Acer refuses to offer ANY support, directing you to Teleplan Logistics.
4) Teleplan Logistics is completely worthless. Don't even bother calling
After dealing with the above crap and getting extremely frustrated, I was ready to return the tablet, but decided to try one more thing, AND IT WORKED!!!
I saw that the Thor recovery was failing, but it didn't show why, which is why I tried the other recovery. In the TWRP Recovery, I noticed that it could not mount the external SD, so obviously couldn't get to the update.zip.
So, here are my instructions. Hopefully someone who actually knows what they are doing can use the info to make a "Simple" setup work.
If you already have Simpleroot and unlocked the bootloader, skip to step 5
1) You need to get the Acer USB drivers and install them
Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents - Tablet / ICONIA TAB / A200
2) Get SimpleRoot. Refer to:SimpleRoot (super simple root for your Acer Iconia Tab A200)
3) turn on USB Debugging on your tablet. (in Settings, Developer Options)
4) Using SimpleRoot, select the following action (and ONLY THAT ACTION):
"unlock bootloader..." and follow instructions
5) Download TWRP Recovery Image from here:
and save it in the SimpleRoot directory (from step 2)
6) Download the A200 4.0.3 stock ROM file called Acer_AV041_A200_1.037.00_PA_CUS1.zip from here:
Acer A200 Recovery Pack.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
and save it to the DOWNLOADS directory ON THE TABLET. (NOTE: Explicitly NOT on the external SD Card)
7) Open a command prompt and navigate to the SimpleRoot Directory
8) Plug in your tablet to the USB cable (make sure it is on)
9) Type the following in the command prompt:
(and hit ENTER)
and wait till the screen on your tablet reboots and shows something like this in the upper left corner:
Bootloader Version 3.1.3
Device is in Unlock mode
Bootlader version 3.1.3
Starting Fastboot USB download protocol
NOTE: for the following 2 steps I am assuming that your SimpleRoot directory is located at C:\SimpleRoot
If it is in a different location, update the commands accordingly
10) Type the following in the command prompt:
fastboot flash recovery C:\AcerRoot\nics-TWRP_stable.img
(and hit ENTER)
11) Turn tab off.
12) Hold the left volume button (the one with two dots) and the power button down until you see some white text in the top left corner. NOTE: It will first show 2 lines including version and Unlock Mode. Keep holding until it shows the 3rd line. This should start the TWRP Recovery
13) in the TWRP Recovery, select INSTALL
14) Navigate to the Downloads folder and select the Acer_AV041_A200_1.037.00_PA_CUS1.zip file and start the install.
15) now just reboot the tablet. As it starts up you should see it install the new update.
Once it completes, you will be on ICS!!! The only thing I am not sure about is if now that I am on ICS, can I root using the regular SimpleRoot stuff? If anyone knows, let me know please.
the 4.0.3 image: Help on getting Acer Iconia Tab A200 REVERTED back from leaked ICS to stock
It is also part of the A200 Recovery Pack Download at Figured how to go from 3.2.1 (No OTA found) to ICS!!!
TWRP Recovery: [Recovery][Beta 2] TWRP 2.1 Touch Based Recovery For A200