• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tab only mounts as MTP or PTP device

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Tab only mounts as MTP or PTP device

... and won't allow me to mount it as a USB mass storage device. There is an option under storage that offers it, along withh MTP or PTP, but it's grayed out. I've tried re-installing the Acer drivers, but it didn't work. Tried removing the old ones first, too. How do I get it to read it as if it's two SD cards, like with my phone? Or does it ONLY work with MTP/PTP?
    Last edited by UndeadSquirrel; 07-26-2012 at 06:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Not one person?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thank you, that was very informative, but it doesn't solve my problems. Perhaps I should have stated before that the problem I was having was mainly on the Windows end. Sometimes the MTP filesystem does not accurately reflect the changes I make. For example, if I create a folder, sometimes it is THERE, but not visible. If I browse the tablet via Root Browser, the folder is there, but Windows does not see it, apparently. Sometimes files just refuse to copy at all. It's annoying. I liked it better when both the internal storage and external micro-SD card. I never had those problems with USB mass storage.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i would also like a solution to this problem.
    The only way to see the folders in Windows is a restart of the tablet.
    I use PhotoBackup for my DSLR and every folder this programm creates is not visible until a restart.
    Its kind of annoying.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    You can try installing the most current USB PC driver from the Acer support site. If you cannot find a specific USB driver for the a200, the a500 driver there should do.

I'm not certain that this will resolve every (or even any) problem you are seeing, because it seems possible that some issues may be related to the version(s) of Windows you are using.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The Windows drivers forces it to be used as an MTP device. Even if you use Acer's drivers, it still does it. Reading that article, I don't see how that applies to the tablet. Most Android devices I've used allow mass storage, and show both the internal and external storage as separate drives, and I've never had the problem the article describes about not having access to that space. I mean, wtf are they even talking about?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    That article linked above contains a link to a thread that explains the reasoning for use of MTP instead of UMS for accessing internal storage in ICS: Whoa, whoa. ICS doesn't support USB mass storage? : Android

That seems to explain it fairly well, and includes several questions and answers to further clarify the explanation. Per that thread, the lack of UMS access for ICS internal storage is the result of an improvement in the storage management scheme. The current scheme makes the large amount of internal storage in tablets more flexible so owners can install more apps using more data, or install fewer apps and leave more space on internal storage for media files. It allows the user to control the allocation of available storage for those roles. That improvement in the storage options makes it a better overall solution. According to the description in that thread, the cost of that scheme is the lack of simple UMS access to internal storage.

I don't use the MTP interface much, but when I have, it has appeared to work OK. You may be seeing some bug in ICS, or you may be seeing a problem or limitation with the version of Windows you are using to access the interface. It even seems possible that your PC needs a patch (Windows update). You may want to research the issue with that in mind.

Another point on your original post:
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadSquirrel View Post
    ... and won't allow me to mount it as a USB mass storage device. There is an option under storage that offers it, along withh MTP or PTP, but it's grayed out. I've tried re-installing the Acer drivers, but it didn't work. Tried removing the old ones first, too. How do I get it to read it as if it's two SD cards, like with my phone? Or does it ONLY work with MTP/PTP?
    The grayed out "mount USB storage" option in the tablet storage settings is for mounting USB storage that you have plugged into the tablet, not for mounting the tablet internal storage.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-28-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    O.o
    But I have an SD card inserted. I don't install apps to the internal storage, so where's the option to use UMS instead?

Ads