• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Android system failure?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyk View Post
    id like to try the down n dirty reset....im having the same problem it just wont reset what it does do is turn off and on 3 times now and remains fixed on the acer logo i know that by holding volume down n power i get some sort of bootlog screen but then it stays on a black screen with that in the upper left can u help me??
    First, if you have not tried resetting via the pinhole hardware reset, try that. It can sometimes clear hardware conditions that a power down will not.

The title of your post states the device is brand new. If I had a brand new tablet that was broken like this, I would not risk custom ROM flashing unless/until I was absolutely certain that there was no hardware defect causing the problem. I'd take/ship it to where I bought it in exchange for a new replacement. You could have a hardware defect causing the boot problem. That would require physical repair, but if the service center finds a custom or invalid ROM, or a modified bootloader on your device, they could deny warranty support. You may get lucky with a custom ROM, but that seems to be a big risk to take on a brand new device with an unknown problem cause.

If you cannot exchange it, the next logical step would be warranty service.

If exchange or warranty service are not an option, then you have little choice but to attempt a ROM recovery method.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-17-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    bilderberg likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I agree with Mrhelper.

One step I forgot in my earlier post was a bootloader unlock. Without that you will not be able to flash the recovery.
    Want to thank me? Use this link and we both get 500 mb of dropbox space!
    or this link and we both get 5 gb of Copy space!

Droid Bionic - Stock JB - rooted(retired to a dev device)
    Acer Iconia A200 WiFi - CM10 overclocked to 1.5ghz
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - Paranoid Android 3+

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    yeah Wetzel.....but nothing you sent me has worked... as i said noone of the files will install and the device driver definitely will not install and ive tried both on my desktop and my laptop it recognizes the device and tries to download the driver and install and when its done it says driver not installed so whats does that mean ..... Trash it ?? I dont think its as new as the person has told me.. and this persons kids are hard on electronics i just finished a repair on their laptop and the next day it was screwed up so bad AGAIN it wouldnt even boot from the HD or the DVD. I had just finished repairing this same tablet 2 days ago one of the kids got ahold of it right after i fixed it i said ask ur mother if u can use that n 30 mins later it was handed back to me all screwed up and now these are the problems im having. Its also saying that the driver for this device is up to date.... yet theres a yellow triangle with an Exclamation mark in it ? in device mgrit shows MTB USB Device but theres a yellow triangle with an Exclamation mark in it
    Last edited by tonyk; 07-18-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    The Acer driver pack I linked to should have drivers for all modes. Keep in mind that each mode will be recognized as a different device and try to install a new driver. You primarily need fastboot to work so when you put it in fastboot and plug in via USB what shows up in device manager? If it appears to be installed you can issue a command from command prompt

Code:
    fastboot devices
    and should get a ? I believe if working.

It sounds like more than anything you have PC issues right now because without the drivers being installed you are not going to communicate with the tab.
    Mrhelper likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    NAH pc is fine.... this is the first time that it hasnt RECOGNIZED A DEVICE AFTER ITS SAID THAT the driver was installed correctly the fact that the tablet will not even boot past the logo screen seems to be the problem because when it has gotten past the logo screen and then the Iconia Tab logo screen pops up it will start trying to install the driver but it never has any success if i restart the tablet the MTB USB Device tab in device Mgr disappears unless i have my android LGp505 phone pluggged in also. it will say that the driver for this device did not install correctly and then it will tell me its up to date.... so i dont know... so ive now got a reformatted 512mb sd card .. i wanted it totally clean so that there no files on it but the files i need for the Android are all thats on it. Im gonna assume thats enough space for what i need ?? any other information you can offer that will help id greatly appreciate it ..What do i need to put on the SD card jjust so im clear...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    yeah Wetzel.....but nothing you sent me has worked... as i said noone of the files will install and the device driver definitely will not install and ive tried both on my desktop and my laptop it recognizes the device and tries to download the driver and install and when its done it says driver not installed so whats does that mean ..... Trash it ?? I dont think its as new as the person has told me.. and this persons kids are hard on electronics i just finished a repair on their laptop and the next day it was screwed up so bad AGAIN it wouldnt even boot from the HD or the DVD. I had just finished repairing this same tablet 2 days ago one of the kids got ahold of it right after i fixed it i said ask ur mother if u can use that n 30 mins later it was handed back to me all screwed up and now these are the problems im having. Its also saying that the driver for this device is up to date.... yet theres a yellow triangle with an Exclamation mark in it ? in device mgrit shows MTB USB Device but theres a yellow triangle with an Exclamation mark in it
    That's a different story. I mistakenly assumed that your note about the tablet being "brand new" meant that you were the original owner from a retail purchase, and likely still under warranty. It now appears that's not the case.

If the firmware is still all stock, then you could try a full update using a stock ROM via the SD card, which should not require any PC connection. Someone here should be able to direct you to an appropriate stock ROM download, and an SD recovery procedure suitable for the a200.

In any case, whether you go stock or custom, you appear to be getting some very dedicated assistance here from Wetzel402 on working toward recovery. I'd personally be very appreciative of that.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-18-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    of ccourse im grateful ....lol im sure wetzel can appreciate that fact.. but since u responded would u know where i could actually get a stock rom i can download to my SD
    Mrhelper likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    That came out wrong. I did not mean to suggest that you were not grateful, I just wanted to point out what a nice job I thought he was doing. These short quick messages are just not clear at times.

On your ROM question, try this link: acer all factory roms. It contains a file with a list of links to ROMs. On the a500, certain factory ROMs require decryption. I don't know if that is the case for the a200, but seems possible. Someone here may have also written a procedure to go along with the list. It's not likely very complicated, but I'd rather have someone advise you who has experience with this on an a200 in case there are any procedural differences relative to the a500.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhelper View Post
    That's a different story. I mistakenly assumed that your note about the tablet being "brand new" meant that you were the original owner from a retail purchase, and likely still under warranty. It now appears that's not the case.

If the firmware is still all stock, then you could try a full update using a stock ROM via the SD card, which should not require any PC connection. Someone here should be able to direct you to an appropriate stock ROM download, and an SD recovery procedure suitable for the a200.

In any case, whether you go stock or custom, you appear to be getting some very dedicated assistance here from Wetzel402 on working toward recovery. I'd personally be very appreciative of that.
    Are you sure that is possible? I have not heard of anyone being successful with the standard update.zip method on this tab.

NAH pc is fine.... this is the first time that it hasnt RECOGNIZED A DEVICE AFTER ITS SAID THAT the driver was installed correctly the fact that the tablet will not even boot past the logo screen seems to be the problem because when it has gotten past the logo screen and then the Iconia Tab logo screen pops up it will start trying to install the driver but it never has any success if i restart the tablet the MTB USB Device tab in device Mgr disappears unless i have my android LGp505 phone pluggged in also. it will say that the driver for this device did not install correctly and then it will tell me its up to date.... so i dont know... so ive now got a reformatted 512mb sd card .. i wanted it totally clean so that there no files on it but the files i need for the Android are all thats on it. Im gonna assume thats enough space for what i need ?? any other information you can offer that will help id greatly appreciate it ..What do i need to put on the SD card jjust so im clear...
    Are you in fastboot mode when trying to install the driver? You must put the tablet into fastboot or the fastboot driver will not install. If on regular boot you can get a logo then you should have access to fastboot which will not display a logo at first only the text "fastboot protocol" or something to that effect in the upper left corner of the screen.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetzel402 View Post
    Are you sure that is possible? I have not heard of anyone being successful with the standard update.zip method on this tab.
    No, I am not certain of that, and this was apparently just wishful thinking that it was more like the a500. I think he's in very good hands with you on this problem. I can tell that you've got some solid experience and skill at this, and you apparently actually own an a200, which seems very useful in this case.

Ads