Tablet => TV via HDMI, no sound
I'm new to this forum and owner of an A700 since 2 weeks now, so lots to learn.
Yesterday I bought a Micro-HDMI cable to be able to connect the tablet to my LCD TV to watch movies located on the tablet on the TV screen.
The video works fine, but there is no audio, no sound, not from the tablet, nor from the TV.
I googled this issue and found several solutions that were proposed to other people having this issue with several brands of tablets.
What I tried:
- checked that the volume was up on the TV and the tablet. Works fine.
- tried 3 video apps that are standard available on the tablet
- tried several sequences of switching the devices on (first TV, then tablet and vice versa)
- tried several sound sources including youtube, other movies, ... no joy
- tried all 3 HDMI ports on the TV
- other devices work fine on the TV's HDMI ports
- PC via TV works find via VGA/normal audio cable, but I don't want to use that option anymore, tablet works much faster with less hassle.
What I didn't/couldn't try:
- the state of the HDMI cable as I don't have any other devices with micro-HDMI. It's a cable described as "HDMI with Ethernet". Video works via that cable, not sure if that rules out cable failure.
- one solution I found was to make sure the version of HDMI on tablet and Tv are the same. I think the tablet's HDMI is 1.4, but I cannot find the version of the one on the TV.
I'm pretty much at the end of what I can think of to try, and my 2 year old son is putting pressure on me so he can watch Shaun the sheep "on the big screen" :-)
thanks in advance for any advice you might come up with.
01-16-2013 12:55 AM
I haven't encountered this problem with my 42" LCD TV nor with my 23" LCD monitor. My monitor doesn't have speakers, so I connect external speakers to the line-out. So, if you can't get sound from the TV speakers, you may try this approach. If your TV has no line-out, you can also connect speakers to the headphones port of the A700. It will still work even with HDMI connected to the TV. Good luck.
To add to the confusion (or maybe not) I found out a couple of things that are quite strange:
First of all I managed to make sure it's not the cable or the tablet, because everything works fine on another TV.
Two days ago I wanted to check out a radiostation livestream on the tablet, but instead of hooking it up to my amp, it remained connected to the TV, which was turned on, and all of a sudden the sound was transmitted via the TV speakers!
I then started a movie, and BINGO, video and audio worked fine.
I thought the issue was fixed, but yesterday I had the same problem again. Workaround is to briefly start that livestream again, and after that any video works fine WITH sound.
Of course this is not the way I want to keep running this setup, so if this additional info makes a bell ring for one of you, that would be great!
I'm thinking of contacting Acer as well, maybe there is some kind of sound mixer somewhere hidden on the tablet that I didn't find yet.
Re: Tablet => TV via HDMI, no sound
Perhaps the live stream app is starting a process or service that is needed for the sound to work, but then again you experience no issues on a different tv. See what is running before and after you start the livestream app, perhaps that can help you isolate the issue.
Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2