• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Where are the custom roms?

at the beginning i was debating between the a510 and tf300, and i chose the a510 because it was better in a lot of things. they both got released around the same time (a week apart). but when it comes to android development the a510 gets no love, the tf300 has several ICS custom roms and a couple JB previews. it makes me sad but i still believe the a510 is the better tablet. what makes it even worth is that the older model a500 is getting JB.
    Acer Iconia Tab A510 32gb (rooted)

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tested both models before settling on the A510. It just fits my needs better as a portable media consumption device: longer battery life, better speakers, more rugged design overall compared to the TF300. The heat I can live with, and I have no need for a dock. I loved my TF101, but the A510 was simply a more solid device for what I needed. Also, I got it at the same price as the Asus.

It's true there are no custom ROMs. Asus has basically won the race to be the customizing nerd's plaything for 2012 with the TF300, Prime and now Infinity. On a consumer level though, the A510 should be just fine, and that's where I live. A such this particular forum is dead compared to its Asus counterpart, and the XDA forums are similarly barren.

Mark

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mnguyen View Post
    I tested both models before settling on the A510. It just fits my needs better as a portable media consumption device: longer battery life, better speakers, more rugged design overall compared to the TF300. The heat I can live with, and I have no need for a dock. I loved my TF101, but the A510 was simply a more solid device for what I needed. Also, I got it at the same price as the Asus.

It's true there are no custom ROMs. Asus has basically won the race to be the customizing nerd's plaything for 2012 with the TF300, Prime and now Infinity. On a consumer level though, the A510 should be just fine, and that's where I live. A such this particular forum is dead compared to its Asus counterpart, and the XDA forums are similarly barren.

Mark
    i agree, the hardware is much better on the a510 but it needs improvements on the software. i get a few browser and launcher crashes im hoping a custom rom can mend that issue. and i wouldnt mind getting jelly bean on my a510 early, im really enjoying cm10 on my S3
    Last edited by mash2k3; 07-31-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Acer Iconia Tab A510 32gb (rooted)

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    A French site reported 4.1 heading to the A510 and A700 right away, but it turned out to be false. Instead we've got a pair of OTAs to wait for (depending on your region, apparently) which fix a bunch of stuff. I'll be happy when those arrive and put the sensitivity issue to bed once and for all, smooth the UX out a bit, and hopefully reduce the heat a bit too (as has been reported). No news on when, but we know it's coming. Hopefully within days, as everyone in Europe seems to have it now!

Mark

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links