• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry I am so irritated with the update- email issues.

I noticed after the sandwich update, that my mail did not automatically come in, but it would after I shut down, and restarted the tablet. Some of the email servers have magically switched over to imap, even though I did not do it. The ones that have gone over to imap seem to be fine, but the ones that are straight pop/smtp, do not work. So I open the settings, and look at them, cancel out of it, go back to the inbox, and all of the mail I had in there GONE. Not in the trash, nowhere. SO, I delete the account, to set it up again, and now it will NOT stop 'checking the incoming settings'- like for TWENTY MINUTES NOW. I am so PISSED. Just like Google to screw something up. I cannot set up this account with IMAP. I do not have that option on the mail server.

Does anyone know of a work around? Please, and thank you.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Is it a hotmail/live account by chance that is having issues?

If so, try using server name debug-m.hotmail.com

There is an issue with Android and hotmail (may just be ICS) that started recentlyo across all tabs.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene. - Homer Jay Simpson

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Is it a hotmail/live account by chance that is having issues?

If so, try using server name debug-m.hotmail.com

There is an issue with Android and hotmail (may just be ICS) that started recentlyo across all tabs.
    No, it's a website email. Business. I have it finally in there, but 2 times now, it has said there is no mail, and there is a ton of mail that I want back on the tablet. I turned off the synch, and am trying that now, but I bet it tells me that there is no mail. I'm not sure why it thinks there is no mail. (nothing is read on the email server- just on my laptop, which is not synched with server.)When I originally set the emails up, it pulled in everything that was on the server. On all of them. Just like any other mail program. I have it set to NOT delete anything from the server as well. Overall, I don't mind the update, but there are a few quirky things, such as this email glitch. And it's a biggie. I don't want to have to restart every time I want to check the friggen mail!

Thanks for the input though.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne22 View Post
    No, it's a website email. Business. I have it finally in there, but 2 times now, it has said there is no mail, and there is a ton of mail that I want back on the tablet. I turned off the synch, and am trying that now, but I bet it tells me that there is no mail. I'm not sure why it thinks there is no mail. (nothing is read on the email server- just on my laptop, which is not synched with server.)When I originally set the emails up, it pulled in everything that was on the server. On all of them. Just like any other mail program. I have it set to NOT delete anything from the server as well. Overall, I don't mind the update, but there are a few quirky things, such as this email glitch. And it's a biggie. I don't want to have to restart every time I want to check the friggen mail!

Thanks for the input though.
    It may be of some value to reduce some of the confusion about how the current Android email client works. The Android email client downloads and caches only the newest 25 messages per account on the device at a time. There is a button at the bottom of the list of messages to "Load more messages." Pressing that button will temporarily download 25 more messages from the server if available, but these extra messages will be deleted from the client message cache the next time you run the client after a boot and sync with the server. Messages are automatically deleted to reduce the total back to no more than 25. This also happens when new email arrives -- i.e., when new messages are downloaded, the client will remove the oldest messages to again reduce the total number cached on the device to 25.

This is apparently a device storage management feature designed to prevent excessive buildup of old email messages on the device, which if left unmanaged and unconstrained -- a very typical scenario -- would impair email client function and general device performance.

The Android email client was apparently never intended to function as a storage area for large quantities of email messages.

The following post explains a few other features of the Android email client: email app folders disappeared (post #2).
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-05-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I understand how the email is suppose to work, however, it does not work at all now, unless I restart the tablet, I cannot leave the email open like I did before, and it keeps giving me a connection error even though the server info is bang on. They really screwed this OS up!!! Tablet is sluggish on some things, for no apparent reason, I have to connect to wifi EVERY TIME I restart now, whereas before it automatically connected. Thanks for nothing GOOGLE.

If I could go back to honeycomb, IWOULD.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links