• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rushmore

Thread: Reluctantly returning the A510

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Reluctantly returning the A510

Yep, I gave the A510 a very good rating (FWIW) and stick by it, but I could not get past a few things- in ranking of priority:

1. The heat on the right. Since having the A510 at launch, I notice it seems the heat is getting a little worse. This could be more a cumulative effect and I am noticing more, but I notice that even when viewing PDF files, it can get hot on the right. I appreciate the big battery forces the heat to be piped there, but it is very annoying and longer term, battery life could be impacted (heat is a battery's worst enemy). Simply put, IMO this device gets too warm.

2. USB location. Sure, the Asus tablets do not even have one (sans the proprietary connector), but what is the practical point of the function if located on the bottom? That is problematic for resting the device (even with right angle adapter) and flipping upside down for use is still awkward for the USB connector. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE SIDE.

3. Line effect on the display. Though not as bad as the A500, the A510 has lines going down the display due to the lcd design. Perhaps ignorance is bliss, but since comparing to the Excite, I really notice it now. Were it not for the light bleed on the Excite I currently have, I would prefer the Excite display since no lines. I also prefer the warmer colors on the Excite and the touch response is better as well (virtual game pads with game emulators are more playable).

Perhaps if the A510 did not get hot on the right side I would have less emphasis on the USB location and display, but it does and I have tested enough to see it is not going away. Even the Acer manual mentions the heat, which is another good point about the Excite, it barely gets warm and is actually 13% faster. The battery life when set to balanced mode is good (eight hours) and then the performance is the same the A510. I also have a 128gb SD card in the Excite and it has the USB on the side. Big a$$ power connector sux, none the less.

I will also return the Excite and find one with minimal light bleed (they do exist).
    Last edited by rushmore; 06-03-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Disable virusscan and it will magically change from hot to warm.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I did that the first day I had the A510. Not seeing any improvement as far as heat. The Excite shows no sign of even getting warm, but is 13% faster than the A510. Though the tech reason the heat is focussed on the right side is the bigger battery in the A510, I think I will take the couple hours less battery life and not deal with it. Touch response is also better, so that is a bonus, plus no visible lines on the display of the Excite.

For perspective, my iPad 3 has a higher res display and a big battery too, but gets nowhere near the heat of the A510.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    No shame in sending it back. I am a huge fan of Acer tabs and was extremely disappointed by lack of full size USB and the placement of the mini USB on the A510.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
    SGS2E4GT, A500, Galaxy Player 5.0, A100, A200, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kernschatten View Post
    No shame in sending it back. I am a huge fan of Acer tabs and was extremely disappointed by lack of full size USB and the placement of the mini USB on the A510.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
    Hey kernschatten..how do you like your GTab2 7 inch? I saw one at Costco for cheap ($268 IIRC) but its battery was dead...usually they have that stuff fired up and I kill time on'em while the wife shops...Looks pretty sweet, tho.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Hey kernschatten..how do you like your GTab2 7 inch? I saw one at Costco for cheap ($268 IIRC) but its battery was dead...usually they have that stuff fired up and I kill time on'em while the wife shops...Looks pretty sweet, tho.
    $249 at Best Buy.

I like it, though I'm not fond of the 30 pin connector. I bought it for my commute on the train. The Tab 2 7.0 battery easily goes over 10 hours. I've had no issues at all. TouchWiz on ICS is okay. The screen is a tad smaller than the A100 and not as bright, but does not suffer from the "floating" icons.

Still waiting for the Asus 370T / Google Nexus tablet. If they can hit under $250, I will probably buy one of those.

My A100 will inevitably be handed down to my daughter.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
    SGS2E4GT, A500, Galaxy Player 5.0, A100, A200, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    $249 at Best Buy.

I like it, though I'm not fond of the 30 pin connector. I bought it for my commute on the train. The Tab 2 7.0 battery easily goes over 10 hours. I've had no issues at all. TouchWiz on ICS is okay. The screen is a tad smaller than the A100 and not as bright, but does not suffer from the "floating" icons.

Still waiting for the Asus 370T / Google Nexus tablet. If they can hit under $250, I will probably buy one of those.

Excellent....and thanks..report back if you discover any showstoppers...I'm relegated to Android evangelist for friends, and with A100's scarce, I'm looking out for other 7 inch near bullet-proof tabs to recommend. Will likely score the Google tab too...I think they're shooting for $199...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    $249 at Best Buy.

Rumors I have heard is that the Nexus Tablet will be between $150-$250. Most are pointing to $199. It showed up at the FCC not that long ago. Hopefully it will be announced soon, because that will be a tablet to beat (at least for those looking for the 7" variety)

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a HTC View 32gb which is a nice tablet and charges with any micro usb connector. Nice 7" tablet (got for $230 during a 1buy sale).

The S4 is only a single core, but at 1.5ghz. No problem with video or game emulators. I can see the appeal of a small tablet, but prefer the 10" display.
    Frederuco likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was also annoyed by the USB position, but for the moment if I need to use it I just turn 180 degrees the tablet...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links