• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: considering buying one but this review scares me!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

considering buying one but this review scares me!

Reading reviews I stumbled upon this one:

Reviews Extended: 2 Weeks Living with the Acer Iconia Tab A510

I'd like to chalk it up to an inexperienced user but he seems to have a lot of experience with android tablets.

He has serious issues like no headsets working problems using hdmi, to lockups etc.

I'm interested in the acer a510 over the asus tf 300 for the following:

-trickle charges via usb. I know this is slow, I've read about 4 % an hour, but it's better than nothing. My understanding is no previous acer tablet could trickle charge via usb so confirmation on this would be nice. I can't find any confirmation if the tf 300 can or can't. I read on the asus faq that the original transformer could. Anyway, I travel sometimes and hate the thought of always needing an adapter with me.

- usb host. The acer 510 provides an adapter, the tf 300 needs the dock or buy an adapter, which may be hard to find and minimizes the price difference of the two. Btw, with usb host can one use a hub? I'd like to add a usb keyboard and mouse at the same time I've never read of someone hooking up multiple devices. Also, and you don't see this mentioned much, the acer 510 has the driver built in to do ethernet over usb if one is so inclined to wire it to their network for faster performance. I wonder if the tf 300 could have this added later? Well, I'm sure it could but wouldn't this be part of the linux kernel (a module I assume) so couldn't one just compile an ethernet driver themselves for tf 300? Anyway, another reason I'd want to use a hub: mouse, keyboard usb over ethernet at the same time and right now the acer 510 provides ethernet over usb out of the box.

The negative of the acer is lower res camera (not too much of a biggie for me) and heavier weight. that might be a bigger issue but I wouldn't really know until extended use. Is the heavier weight worth the trade-off for longer battery life?

But after reading this review, it gives me serious pause on choosing the a510.
    rockerbox likes this.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Here's another straight comparison between the 510 and transformer 300 : [Head-To-Head] Acer Iconia Tab A510 Vs. ASUS Transformer Pad 300

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Honestly to me it sounds like a lemon or something. I ordered the a510 and the tf300 with the dock from best buy at the same time because I had the same problem wondering which one. I had so many force closes, lock ups, and re boots with the 300 the dock was great but the tablet felt cheap and when held in one hand bends and creeks. I have had none of that with the 510 and I feel the software was much more stable even with recent software updates to both of then so the 300 and dock went back.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    cheifkeiff since you had both can you confirm if the tf 300 could charge over usb? And I'd like to confirm if the a510 can as well.

And if anyone has tried a hub to hook up multiple usb devices I'd be interested in how that worked out.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The A510 does charge over USB, even connected to a PC.
    Regarding USB hub, I have not connected a hub, only tested with one USB stick but that works perfect.
    Its a great device and with this micro USB charging, unlockable bootloader, easy root, hard reset with hardware buttons if you mess up, large battery, micro SD card, its a great choice.
    The only thing missing are recovery and ROM's, but with such a great device and price, I don't think it will take long before we have plenty to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by sark666 View Post
    cheifkeiff since you had both can you confirm if the tf 300 could charge over usb? And I'd like to confirm if the a510 can as well.

And if anyone has tried a hub to hook up multiple usb devices I'd be interested in how that worked out.
    Last edited by B1ny; 05-19-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    rockerbox likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Not sure about that review, but seems a lemon. I have had a few tablets:

Gtablet : Poor display and awful UI and firmware and awful Viewsonic support.
    A500 : Weak wifi and visible vertical lines on slightly washed out display (only 256K colors)
    Flyer and View : Nice tablets
    Toshiba Thrive : Mediocre to weak support, wimpy battery and problematic external file management.
    Prime : Weak wifi and a slippery little rascal
    iPad 3 : Besides iTunes, it rocks hard

The A510 rocks. No other way to word it for me. Well built, feels great to hold, AMAZING battery life, fast performance, great file drivers, FULL functioning USB host, good/full speaker sound, display is nice for a 1280X800 and tablet can trickle charge without the official charger.

That dude with the two week bad trip must have got a lemon or installed an app that became self aware and took over his tablet.

I was going to consider the A700, but not seeing how losing at least two hours battery life, less performance and at least $100 more is a good thing. My iPad 3 already has a freakishly good display and an improved GPU to handle the much higher resolution. Since a Tegra 3 in the A700, Anandtech has already shown the sweet spot for performance is 1280X800 and a 1920X1080p will probably stress the GPU.
    Last edited by rushmore; 05-19-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i say just buy it.... you wont regret it, just ignore the negative reviews. you have to try it on your own and realise what a great tablet it is. Everything is spectacular, especially the dolby sound system. The screen too isn't as bad as some claim it is. I set in on lowest brightness almost everywhere except for strong sunlight. The battery life is AMAZING. and Yes, it is heavier but its solidly built and very nice to hold in the hands. A510 is definitely a tablet to have and to share with friends and families =)
    make the right choice =)
    rockerbox likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There are a few issues with touchscreen sensitivity since the firmware update but apart from that I have no issues whatsoever. Would highly recommend it to anyone.

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk 2

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links