• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: considering buying one but this review scares me!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, boonaun for posting the link. Netbooknews also carried this story yesterday.

As of yesterday, the original A510 SKU was not being sold by Amazon directly and was on hold, although you could purchase it from other vendors through Amazon. Many owners reported similar issues to the one I reported and returned theirs.

The volume of returns is what caused Amazon to place the devices on hold. Besides writing on my own (hobby) blog, I have freelanced for several of the larger (than mine) tech blogs. My site is just a past time and is not monetized. I do not have professional ties to PR agencies or with the manufacturers or vendors. I have plenty of experience with Android tablets, and tablets and Android devices in general, having owned over 13 of them and having reviewed or tested several more than that.

The app load that I had on the Acer A510 did not contain any apps other than ones I run on all of my other Android devices, other than the proprietary ones that came pre-installed. Mine might have been a lemon, but there were apparently a sufficient volume of lemons to get returned to Amazon that it caused them to put a temp hold on allowing anyone to order the device.

As of today, Amazon is carrying the Olympic edition and is allowing orders; it is not clear to me if it is the exact same SKU that was on hold yesterday. It appears that it is. The owner reviews are still up, so you can see those. Roughly 20% of the owners on Amazon (as of today) are seeing issues with the device, with many of those having returned it, including one reviewer who exchanged his twice.

Some of the defects I saw were perhaps attributable to a bad batch run of the first production. But things like the weak wifi signal have been consistent across three Android tablet versions from the Iconia line I have reviewed (the A100, A500, and A510). It also does not communicate on the 5 GHz band for 802.11n; that's not a defect due to mine being a lemon. There is not a flash for the back-panel camera. I am sure some of those things do not matter to some users. I always talk about negatives in the context of what matters to a user based on their expected use-cases, and personal requirements. Whether a machine is good or bad is based on the requirements of the user. My positive notes on the A510 are posted in my review along with the negatives. In the end, I gave the A510 a thumbs down based on its quality.

So, no, it's not like this was my first Android device or like I am an inexperienced user. I conducted a review based on trying to use the A510 daily for 2 weeks, as a replacement for my daily primary tablet, which is more extensive use than the major tech site reviews are based upon. My personal recommendation would be to wait for the June version that is supposedly coming out or to wait until news hits that this faulty component issue that Acer Germany is reporting has been cleared, although it will be tough if you are ordering one online to know if you are getting one with whatever fix they are putting in. Of course, ordering one and taking the known risk is not entirely crazy either, as many have reported a good experience with the device. You can always return it if it is a bad unit. I can only tell you what I saw and what my research has turned up.
    - Vr/Zeuxidamas.
    Last edited by Zeuxidamas; 05-24-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Acers Facebook page says there is no issue with the A510 beyond a supply shortage:

"We are delighted by the great success of ICONIA TAB A510 in the global market. The sudden increase in global demand has unfortunately caused shortage in supplies. We are working on this and apologize for the delay in delivery of your product, but want to assure that this delay is not caused by faulty component in the ICONIA TAB A510 as we erroneously posted yesterday on one of our local facebook pages. Please be assured that every ICONIA TAB A510, available in stores has passed through strict tests to ensure best quality and user experience."

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good catch. For me, the trend of reports of issues that people are reporting having with the device would still be beneath my threshold for buying one of my own. "Erroneously" posting that there was a faulty component one day, and then asking for a take-back the next is also not a confidence builder. I have not personally tested the Asus TF300, but I prefer the trend of customer reports I am seeing on it, and it is now going for $65 less on Amazon. In line with my original review of the A510, if I were going to roll the dice on something, I would roll it with the one with the better trend in customer feedback, and with the lesser up front cost outlay. Just my opinion; either way is not entirely off one's rocker, just stating that my own choice would be for the more conservative option.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had two Asus Primes. I returned both because of terrible wifi reception, nonexistent GPS functionality, lock ups, short battery life, shutdowns, etc... I bought an Acer A510 about 3 weeks ago, and have been using it almost constantly. It works perfectly. I have had no problems. It also feels much more solid and comfortable in the hand. I have not used a TP 300, but definitely recommend the A510.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    You can't just rely on trends, customers are more likely to review if they have a problem. I haven't bothered to review it yet and I'm pretty satisfied.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    All I am seeing is hack journalism. Amazon had the hold due to some getting European power plugs on the power supplies and not a defective component issue.

From that and a poorly translated Facebook post from Acer (wonder what happened to the poster....) some bloggers and Phandroid conjectured their own reality. The A510 rocks, but wish they did two things:

Put the USB on the side

Displaced the heat better, but the big battery probably has something to do with this. Same issue on iPad 3.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links