• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI output

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

HDMI output

Hi all,

A few days ago i received my tablet and so far i had no major problems. A couple of days ago i connected the tablet to the TV to watch movies and i saw that the hdmi output resolution is 720p. I've contacted Acer support and they replied that currently there are no plans to enable 1080p support with future firmware updates. This is the only major dissapointment with this tablet. Maybe if there are more users that complain about this, they will consider fixing this.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Next time someone talks to them direct them here.... ICONIA TAB A Series | Product Series note at bottom says 1080p, July 2011.... so, they need to enable it or try updating a whole web page rather than copying from another product!

I just got my cable yesterday and haven't tried it myself yet.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, to play the devil's advocate for a moment : footnote 1 actually links to the A500 text.

Although I can't imagine the A500 getting the upgrade and our beloved quad-core battery not.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    That really is my point, lazy web coding.. I'd agree, if going a500 then why not us!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also, another issue (and this is reported by many Android users), using Dice player Hw decode (or any other player with HW decoding) over HDMI, the subtitles are not displayed on the TV but only on the tablet. I wrote to DICE player devs and they replied:

"The overlay including subtitle when HW accelerated should be supported by manufacturer.
    The Android framework does not have any interface for HDMI, so the HDMI output depends on manufacturer's implementation.

But the most devices do not support the HDMI output with the overlay, so it is to hard to support it."

So it seems that is up to Acer to implement this in a future firmware (but I doubt it).

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    "The overlay including subtitle when HW accelerated should be supported by manufacturer. The Android framework does not have any interface for HDMI, so the HDMI output depends on manufacturer's implementation.
    Hmm, if this is correct this concerns me with my main issue. I want this to double as a very basic desktop machine hooked up to my display. I had no idea that the display needs to be the same aspect ratio as the device. This is 16:10 but my display is 16:9 so I'm losing the bottom portion (the ui buttons). On the asus side, they patched an option for scale/crop when using hdmi. Just trying to determine how well they implementation works, if it works well I may return this for an acer tf300. Otherwise it's get another display or hope acer addresses it as well. I thought this really shouldn't be up to acer or asus etc, google should address this themselves, but if what you say is correct, then google will never address this and leave it up to the vendor? That just sounds wrong.

I keep looking for a way to change resolutions but it seems impossible.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If we ever get some good devolopers cooking up roms and kernels for us then it won't matter if Acer fixes it or not because I'm sure they will.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone been finding that the HDMI port is just very loose? I've discovered that unless I actually prop the micro HDMI cable at a certain angle, the signal will drop out. I'm wondering if it's just the cable I have and have ordered another one, but if this continuing I'll consider exchanging or even returning it.

Never had a probelm with the mini HDMI posrt on the old TF101. Nice solid hold. I can't hold the A510 in my hands with the cable attached if I want to keep the connection.

Mark

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a bit late, but maybe someone finds that thread again

Yes, the port is very difficult. I tried two different cables, and it's really hard to plug them so that it works.

But then, if it works, the 720p display mode shows just 95 % of the screen area. And it's a bit reddish... So I will most likely never use HDMI. It's disappointing.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was talking to a friend the other day who just bought a dvd player with wifi that he is feeding to his TV with an HDMI cable. He said he had the TV switched to the dvd player's HDMI port because he was waiting for his wife so they could watch a movie. While he was waiting he decided to watch a short video on his Android phone and was surprised to see it pop up on the TV. He says to his knowledge he did nothing to set it up. I'm looking for a player with wifi right now, it would be great if mine worked out that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links