• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anyone else having a number of issues with their A510?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Anyone else having a number of issues with their A510?

Just got mine yesterday. Here are some of the issues I'm having. If I list a comparison it's being compared to my old Acer A500

The weather widget rescales itself so it looks zoomed in after a period of time.

Panning down a page in the web browser is not fluid. it seems off like with a little swipe it pans too little and a big swipe it's too much. Definitely not 1 to 1, also changing the sensitivity doesn't help.

The screen is not as sharp as my A500, could be the tegra 3 but in some games they have a halo effect over the details. Like in Zen pinball the game looks very washed out vs. the A500 is razer sharp.

PS3 bluetooth does not work, according to tegrazone it is supposed to with ICS.

Bottom right of the tab get's very warm not a deal breaker but definitely does get warm. It doesn't really bother me but other people have listed this and i would just like to confirm it. I read that the new Ipad gets incredibly hot as well so I think this is the norm.

I'm having issues with some games and apps. Shadowgun is slow and unresponsive in the title screen and the game randomly locks the controls were you are stuck moving in one direction.

The circus ball app from tegrazone was slow and glitchy for me not using the tegra 3 and then, bam it was fast and looked prettier, the acceleration must of kicked on. It's very buggy and doesn't work half the time. I know it's a benchmark to show off the system but it doesn't work very well for me.

I tried watching a tv show on the CW app yesterday and it would randomly lock the app. I know this app uses flash and flash usually is the culprit.

Overall the web experience is very fast, much faster than my a500 but overall I still have noticed some glitchiness that plagued my A500. Mostly when using apps or downloading apps.

Overall I'm on the fence, the A510 is not exactly what I hoped it would be. I know Acer will fix most of these issues like they did with the A500 but I was expecting a little more. I was hoping all the glitchiness that plagued the A500 was sorted out, i also thought for sure the screen would be better if not the same. I was very happy with my a500 screen but in some games the A510 looks washed out. Definitely a step backwards. It must be the tegra 3.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't really answer for any of this since I don't have one...yet.

But I do wonder if some of the problems have to do with the tegra is being accessed (number of cores) -- balanced vs performance modes. It might explaij the ball demo as the tegra chip is 'kicked up' a notch. It also leaves me wondering if the Asus Prime had (and still has) similar issues.

M

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I haven't noticed any of these yet, but it's only been in the house a few hours. Do you know where the different modes can be set? In the Prime there's a handy dandy widget so I have no idea where it is in ICS. I believe by default the A510 is running in Performance mode.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As far as the rolling ball demo I've found that the longer you play the faster the frame rate gets. Maybe the cores need time to kick on or something. It's still not very controllable though.

I've noticed today my A510 has lost my wifi in the browser twice yet showed it was detected and logged on in the taskbar, had to reboot to fix it. I've also tried to disable the viruscan per other users comments. It seems the viruscan software is a system app installed by acer you can't uninstall it, you can only disable it. I haven't noticed anything different with it disabled but I'm still having goofy issues like above.

Ok so I've taken another look at the screen. I've found the screen is actually better than the a500 overall except in certain games. So it seems maybe they need to tweak the drivers for 3d. I have a video of the problems I'm having in shadowgun I put in their forum and you can clearly see the blacks are better on the A510 public - suade907's Photos. I compared some hd images side by side (not in the video)as well and the display is better than the A500 as it shows more colorful images and has better blacks. The game that really looks bad on the A510 is zen pinball Thd. I've also put a post in their forums asking why?
    Last edited by suade907; 04-26-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Redwood Valley, NorCal(97--)/Pocatello,ID(90-97)/SoCal Born N Raised(71-90)
    Liked
    46 times
    I'm not having any issues with mine, it's running along great! The Tegra 3 is definitely NOT a step backwards, I am sure drivers and software still need some tweaking to get things running 100% perfectly, but even then I don't know of any tech device that doesn't have an issue now and then with something.
    Last edited by CaliforniaRailRoadGuy; 04-25-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    http://www.nwprr.net (Northwestern Pacific RR, Inc., serves the North Coast of CA)
    http://www.amtrak.com America's Passenger Rail Network since 1971!
    http://www.up150.com (Union Pacific RR, celebrating their 150th Anniv. in 2012)
    http://www.isu.edu (Idaho State University)

Current Device-Acer Iconia Tab A700

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mine got really hot on the bottom right then the screen would flicker. I took it back to Fry's Going to wait for the 1900X1200 one to come out
    Tech Junkie
    Acer 510!
    Asus Prime 64 GIG
    Acer A200
    HP Envy 17" 3D
    Samsung 15.6" 7 Series Laptop
    Samsung Note

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Redwood Valley, NorCal(97--)/Pocatello,ID(90-97)/SoCal Born N Raised(71-90)
    Liked
    46 times
    Wow, why give up on it because one was bad? You can end up changing endlessly if you're not careful. I mean I had 2 stuck pixels on an A200 I got from Staples, I took it back and got another one and the 2nd one was perfect.

Edit-On the heat thing, the new iPad gets fairly warm too-

"Testers at Consumer Reports found that the latest iPad could hit 116 degrees when running games. "When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period, wrote Consumer Reports' Donna Tapellini, who held the iPad in her hands during testing.

The new iPad is safe but close to the 120-degree point at which laptops are too hot and could cause burns if in contact with bare skin for a long period, says CR electronics editor Paul Reynolds. CR plans to continue testing the new iPad."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...rts/53675154/1
    Last edited by CaliforniaRailRoadGuy; 04-26-2012 at 03:03 AM.
    http://www.nwprr.net (Northwestern Pacific RR, Inc., serves the North Coast of CA)
    http://www.amtrak.com America's Passenger Rail Network since 1971!
    http://www.up150.com (Union Pacific RR, celebrating their 150th Anniv. in 2012)
    http://www.isu.edu (Idaho State University)

Current Device-Acer Iconia Tab A700

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by suade907 View Post
    The screen is not as sharp as my A500, could be the tegra 3 but in some games they have a halo effect over the details. Like in Zen pinball the game looks very washed out vs. the A500 is razer sharp.
    I had the a510 and the prime side by side and couldn't figure out why the resolution on the Prime appeared better. In the settings, under display, select Font Size. Mine was set to LARGE by default. I find the 'normal' setting to be much sharper looking!! Give it a try :-)

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok so i put that post on the zen pinball forums. They responded fast. They said they just got some tegra 3 devices in their offices and will be updating the game as soon as they can and thanked me for pointing out the image issues. They said the game is obviously not optimized for the tegra 3 as they have not seen any yet but since they just got some they will be going to work. They also said they plan to support the zen pinball game for a long time.

Looks like some games are just not optimized for the tegra 3 yet and we should see graphic improvements with coming updates.

I thought it was awesome they took the time to get back to me so fast. The guys at madfinger haven't even acknowledged my post regarding their game and our device yet.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What are you guys getting for battery life? I would dare to guess I'm barely getting much better than my A500. During standby this device is a battery hog using near 30% overnight. Its far worse in standby than my A500 was. I would guess I will get maybe 6-7 hours of normal use

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links