• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The OFFICIAL "I got my Acer A510" thread

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Checked out a review of the Asus Prime of the new budget-friendly TF300T. I mention it because of the new plastic backing which replaces the aluminum on the TF201 (while keeping an lower clocked 1.3 Tegra 3 chip) and the heat is higher than it's faster predecessor. Closer to the A510 heat specs though still lower.

A couple people mentioned the virus scan and I'm wondering if this is forcing the tablet to operate (more frequently) at the higher profile (tapping more from the chip) than not. But the plastic backing is causing it to retain heat noticeably in any event.

M

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I got it! I believe my Transformer Prime is going to be returned, I like the A510 a lot. I want to work with it a few days before I make a final decision but initial impressions are good.

I did notice it get warm earlier... so I'll be watching that. Virus Scan tends to ping my regular desktop pretty good so I'm certain it's going to put a load on the tablet that wouldn't be there without it. I haven't used virus scan on any of my other android devices and not sure I will here either, esp if it's causing it to heat up.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BethyM View Post
    I got it! I believe my Transformer Prime is going to be returned, I like the A510 a lot. I want to work with it a few days before I make a final decision but initial impressions are good.
    Please let us know. With the new Asus TF300T out within a week or so of the Acer A510, I'm sure a lot of new adopters will be torn between the two. Both have their pluses. From your initial impressions, why are you leaning more towards the Acer at the moment? (I am assuming that both are good tablets here).

M

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Both are good tablets, the Prime I have works great. Yes, it has the GPS issue, but that's resolved in the 300T and by the Dongle for the Prime. One of the biggest things on the Prime is the micro sdcard doesn't sit flush in the slot causing it to be easily bumped/ejected. I understand this may be a defect, as some have them sitting flush. So, essentially if I have to exchange it I decided to take a look at the A510.

Here's the rundown. I can only compare real life experience with the prime vs a510 since my only experience with the 300 is spec sheet :-)

* I have no interest in the dock, so that feature of the Transformers is mute for me. I'm comparing tablet to tablet.
    * The a510 is great (on initial impression). Side by side they were both usable in the sun. Turning on the Super IPS+ on the Prime didn't make a significant difference in today's conditions.
    * I like the door covering the microsd. I want to install my sd for expanded storage and forget about it! I don't want to think about being careful with it everytime I handle the Prime.
    * The a510 was $70 cheaper for me. Amazon briefly had them at $430. Even at list it is $50 less.
    * The a510 is rootable, today. My Prime has a version of the firmware that can't be rooted. Also, unlocking the Prime voids the warranty. I like having warranty in case something comes up and I don't want to buy a 3rd party one.
    * There are a couple apps I like to use that require root. More importantly, hubby and I would like to share the tablet and I want to try some programs that create user profiles so we can each have our own setup. The app I found so far requires root.

I think any of these tablets have the potential to meet a users needs. This is my first experience with an Acer tablet and so far I'm pleased. My prime is good too - but for less money and a couple of design issues I think the Acer is going to win. So, you may ask why I didn't consider the TF300T... No specific reason, I personally feel the a510 competes more spec wise with the Prime. The 300 has been designed to be more budget-friendly at the sacrifice of some specs. Since I could get the Acer close to the TF300 price I figured why not!

A couple nagging questions I have about the Acer....

* What is the display technology?
    * What kind of glass is the screen made of?
    * Does it have Performance Profiles? On the Prime, the notification widget (which is really cool by the way) has the ability to put the tablet in power save, regular, or performance mode. Since I used the widget, I don't know where to find it in ICS!
    * Where are all the cases!! (yes, I know it's just too new to have them)
    Last edited by BethyM; 04-25-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    almatadema likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm new to this... how and why would you root your a510?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Hello there ACER - welcome to the forum! We are delighted to have you as a member!

Regarding your question about rooting, without trying to sound like a smart alec, if you don't know why, then you probably shouldn't mess around with rooting. What rooting does is give you administrator control and access to the key features of your operating system. This article - Rooting (Android OS) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - explains it pretty well. After reading it, if you decide that rooting your phone is something you might be interested in, your reading has just begun. Read everything you can find on the internet about the subject, so you can make an informed choice on whether or not to proceed. Why? Because if you do it wrong, you can do serious damage to your device. Damage that the party you got your tablet from is *not* going to cover as a warranty replacement - why should they? They didn't break the device, YOU did, when you messed up the rooting process. So if you want to root your phone, read up on what's required and come back to this forum for advice and direction on the best way to proceed.

Good luck and Welcome Aboard!
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for AcerTabletForum.com

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BethyM View Post
    Both are good tablets, the Prime I have works great. Yes, it has the GPS issue, but that's resolved in the 300T and by the Dongle for the Prime. One of the biggest things on the Prime is the micro sdcard doesn't sit flush in the slot causing it to be easily bumped/ejected. I understand this may be a defect, as some have them sitting flush. So, essentially if I have to exchange it I decided to take a look at the A510.
    Thanks for your detailed response... Apparently (according to a couple of new 300T owners) the micro sdcard issue has been resolved. As to the rest, great info. The things I find disappointing with the newer 300T from what I've read can be summed up as follows:

- A slightly smaller battery. Really disappointing to see they went the opposite direction that Acer went (which is a massive plus in the A510's favor)
    - No flash. Really? While I won't take a huge amount of pictures with the tablet, experience has taught me after a year with the Xoom that there will be a handful taken only because my tablet is always within reach (more so than my cell).
    - The decision to shift from aluminum to plastic. I understand that this was the source of the wi-fi and gps issues and the TF700 has a fix which would have left most the back in aluminum. While the 300T is clocked a tad bit lower, it also runs hotter than the T201 because the plastic doesn't disapate the heat as quickly. This is also something people have noticed with th A510. Not a deal breaker in any event.

As for the dock, it's why I have a Xoom now as opposed to the TF101 because, really, if I wanted a laptop, I would have bought a laptop.

The A510 has some great features -- larger battery and full stereo sound and both it and the 300T are going on sale about a week or so apart. One of these two will be in my possession in a couple of weeks unless some major development happens with either companies premium tablets *or* if Motorola releases a Tegra 3 tablet before Summer lands (because I loved my Xoom that much).

Thanks again!

M

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk 2

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for your detailed response... You're welcome

- No flash. Really? While I won't take a huge amount of pictures with the tablet, experience has taught me after a year with the Xoom that there will be a handful taken only because my tablet is always within reach (more so than my cell). Neither the a510 nor the TF300T have a flash. In my very limited experience last night, the picture I got on the a510 was better than the one on the prime (the flash didn't activate)

- The decision to shift from aluminum to plastic. The aluminum is nice, hands down. It feels nice and it looks nice. Then again, I put the prime in a case the day I got it and would do the same for this if they made one. The initial heat I noticed yesterday wasn't repeated when I was browsing last night. It got warm, but didn't seem overly 'hot'.

As for the dock, it's why I have a Xoom now as opposed to the TF101 because, really, if I wanted a laptop, I would have bought a laptop. Agreed!

(because I loved my Xoom that much). Does the Xoom have expandable storage? I love my Samsung phone but it was dealbreaker that the existing tabs didn't have expandable storage. I believe the new 7" Sammy that just dropped does have it though.

Beth

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BethyM
    Does the Xoom have expandable storage? I love my Samsung phone but it was dealbreaker that the existing tabs didn't have expandable storage. I believe the new 7" Sammy that just dropped does have it though.
    Hi Beth,

Yes, the Xoom had expandable storage -- I've had a 32 gig Class 10 Micro SDCard in there for many months now. Very handy to have IMO. What's also nice was that it was concealed by a small plastic plate on the top of the device as well -- you put it in and didn't ever have to think of it again.

The Xoom had it all but it's release was really overshadowed by the much thinner profile of the ipad 2 not to mention that Honeycomb was still rough around the edges and Adobe Flash wasn't fully integrated with HC yet. But 32 gigs onboard with the first Tegra 2 with hardware specs similar to other 1st gen android Tegra 2 tablets with expandable storage, hdmi out, and sturdy construction made it a great first tablet to run honeycomb. The initial pricing didn't win it any favors though and Motorola's less than adequate support internationally really killed any chance at momentum as far as sales were concerned. However, there was never a time I regretted my purchase.

M

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Guys!!

I've been using mine for about four or five days now. She's lightning fast, plays movies like a dream, battery life is amazing. I see a few people complaining about the bottom-right heat issue.
    I feel a bit of heat, but not enough to be concerned about. She is an extremely powerful device in a very small space, so some heat is to be expected. One issue that I have found is that
    she always crashes within ten minutes of playing games (Death Rally and Zen Pinball). I was rather disappointed, but it seemed like a software issue. After much troubleshooting, the problem
    turned out to be the VirusScan Mobile App. I disabled it and she works like a charm now. I did love my A500, but my A510 is brilliant. I prefer the plastic back to the aluminium. And she's lighter,
    but not too light either. Rotation lock doesnt feel cheap like the a500's and the volume rocker is mucher better. Anyway, thats my two pence worth.
    Cheers!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links