• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Who is Getting an Iconia A510?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi All,

I'm new to these forums but it seems like the best place to be for info on the A510 which I am very tempted by.

I hadn't planned to spend too much on a tablet but since November I have had 4 tablets, here's a quick summary...

1. Aishuo S2 - import from China - faulty on delivery, sent back got refund for tablet and postage (phew!). It was a pile of c**p anyway.

2. Archos 80 G9 - bought as a TSV from QVC UK. Good bundle, good support from Archos and quite a nice machine but poor build quality and screen. Returned within 30 days for refund.

3. Zenithink C91 zt280 - bought in the UK. Good price and loved the screen even though it wasn't IPS. Main issue was it was really sluggish and Zenithink advertised it as 1Ghz but it was really 800Mhz. You usually have to take Chinese manufacturer's details with a pinch of salt. I found a 900Mhz kernel that someone had hacked which worked ok but that shouldn't be necessary with a tablet advertised as 1Ghz. Sold on E-bay.

4. Ampe A90 - import from China - 9.7" IPS screen, A10 CPU at 1Ghz. I quite like this but one thing you have to realise with Chinese tablets is that support is not that good, often in Chinese and requires a lot of scouring support forums to find support from other users. The firmware update procedure for example is like a form of torture. Also I don't know whether this is normal for 9.7" 4:3 screens but I found the text always seemed so small on the screen, especially compared to the Zenithink's 10.2" 16:10 screen. Overall I would give it a 6 out of 10. It's now been sold on.

So I have now decided to ditch the idea of a "budget" tablet and get one from a mainstream manufacturer. Ideally, to keep up with future developments it would have to be dual or quad core cpu/gpu. The A510 seems to meet my needs nicely and I have had many Acer laptops and been very happy with them. The Youtube review comparing it to the Asus Prime really convinced me.

Now the cheapest place I found in the UK with stock was 322 uk pounds which seems pretty good for the spec. I am also looking for a case and maybe a screen protector although with Gorilla glass maybe that would be unnecessary for light home use.

Cheers
    Tweedy

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Welcome aboard Tweedy, glad to have you here. Hopefully you will enjoy your new tab. Right now the selection is limited in terms of screen protectors and case, but that is expected with new tabs.

-end of line-
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've had roocase on my Nook Color and that's what I ordered for the Trans Prime that I'm sending back if I love the A510. I can't say enough about the service at PcMicro -- My first Nook case broke within the first year and they were awesome at replacing it and providing statuses and going above and beyond what I expect from Cust Service! Will definitely keep my eye out for those... Guess it'll be the old netbook pouch for a while :-) I wish it was coming today -- I don't like being patient.

I'm glad there's a root method for it already too. Hubby and I are going to 'share' but we do not have the same tastes in setup -- so looking forward to trying out an app that allows user profiles. It requires root, so haven't been able to try it on the Prime.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKort View Post
    Welcome aboard Tweedy, glad to have you here. Hopefully you will enjoy your new tab. Right now the selection is limited in terms of screen protectors and case, but that is expected with new tabs.

-end of line-
    Thanks RobKort. I have now ordered my A510 and it's on next day delivery so should get it tomorrow! Can't wait :-)

UPDATE: The company I ordered from rang me. Their webpage was showing 9 in stock when they actually had none and it let me order and pay for one!
    So I have cancelled my order with them and I am looking for a UK alternative. Anyone know of one? Thanks
    Last edited by Tweedy; 04-25-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Redwood Valley, NorCal(97--)/Pocatello,ID(90-97)/SoCal Born N Raised(71-90)
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweedy View Post
    Thanks RobKort. I have now ordered my A510 and it's on next day delivery so should get it tomorrow! Can't wait :-)

UPDATE: The company I ordered from rang me. Their webpage was showing 9 in stock when they actually had none and it let me order and pay for one!
    So I have cancelled my order with them and I am looking for a UK alternative. Anyone know of one? Thanks
    I hate when companies do that, most will not charge until your order ships.
    http://www.nwprr.net (Northwestern Pacific RR, Inc., serves the North Coast of CA)
    http://www.amtrak.com America's Passenger Rail Network since 1971!
    http://www.up150.com (Union Pacific RR, celebrating their 150th Anniv. in 2012)
    http://www.isu.edu (Idaho State University)

Current Device-Acer Iconia Tab A700

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Got Mine yesterday! Love it!
    BethyM likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links