• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A510 Special Micro USB Charging Cable

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A510 Special Micro USB Charging Cable

So after some research, and I'm sure everyone knows by now, the micro USB connector used to charge the A510 is proprietary. The device only comes with a wall charger. This drives me up the wall with Acer, but that's besides the point. I've searched in hopes of finding another device using the same type of connector, and had high hopes with the nook color and nook tablet micro USB charging cables. It fits all the way, and is recognized by the A510, but it doesn't charge it. When connected, it shows as being connected to a docking station.

My question to the forum is has anyone found a micro USB cable that will charge the A510 yet, or what are you using as a car charger alternative? If an inverter, what types are working well for you?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You're right - it's a proprietary connection. It's also 12V vs 5V. Sounds like an inverter will be the only way to go for charging in the car. Original power adapter is 1.5 amps and 18 watts, but I'd use an inverter that would handle 2.25 amps and 27 watts just to be on the safe side.
    rockerbox likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsjt View Post
    You're right - it's a proprietary connection. It's also 12V vs 5V. Sounds like an inverter will be the only way to go for charging in the car. Original power adapter is 1.5 amps and 18 watts, but I'd use an inverter that would handle 2.25 amps and 27 watts just to be on the safe side.
    I do believe you're right about the inverter being the only option available at the moment. I'm looking at buying a new one currently. I would like one that plugs into the cigar lighter, but I'm concerned about blowing my 20 amp fuses again. Any suggestions on an inverter worth buying?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried a micro USB cable with a Asus transformer block which gives out 15v 2amps and still did not charge the a510. Don't know what they changes.

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk 2
    Acer Iconia Tab A510 32gb (rooted)

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Using normal usb trickle charges at a tad under 2% an hour. Not much, but better than nothing if away from your charger. It seems to only charge when the display is off (like the iPad 3).

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    Using normal usb trickle charges at a tad under 2% an hour. Not much, but better than nothing if away from your charger. It seems to only charge when the display is off (like the iPad 3).
    I haven't tried the trickle charging. Does it actually show it's charging, or are you simply watching the battery life?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So is there no use in looking for a right-angle adaptor (micro USB female to micro USB male), if that even exists, in order to to be able to charge when in a case/stand while it's in an upright landscape position on my nightstand? I know that I can just buy a separate stand or picture frame holder and invert the landscape to charge overnight, but that would be a fallback for me (I'd like to use my case/stand as it's meant to be used and charge while the tablet is in that position).

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wjohnson1980 View Post
    I haven't tried the trickle charging. Does it actually show it's charging, or are you simply watching the battery life?
    Only charges when the display is off.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just ordered a car charger off A*azon that looks custom molded with the proper plug for the A510. Can't post links (forum rules) so you'll have to search for yourself.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You could make your own adapter. Would be a lot cheaper and quicker than finding one. Just make sure each little wire is independently insulated. No idea what a shorted wire could do and don't want to find out

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links