• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Got Update Today - Small Challenge

Finally got my first update for my A501 yesterday and finished installing today. I was hoping it was going to be version 4, but it turned out to be 3.2... at least it is something.

I used my mobile broadband on the first two downloads (over 300mb each). The first download sent all but about 30mb when my email app apparently corrupted and halted the DL. I got it all the next time and it started to unzip, then I got a "invalid install" error.

I decided the third time, I would use our local libraries wifi. I did a hard reset before starting the download, assuming the previous install error was due to interference from some app or setting. It worked flawlessly and I was able to complete the install. Now I am in the process of re-installing the apps I want to keep.. and I've got a lot of them!

Has anyone heard; is there going to be an ICS for A500/A501, or is Honeycomb 3.2 going to be all?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Hi Joe. Yes, there probably will be an update, but it's tough to put an exact time frame on it right now. Just be patient, and it'll come.

-Mike
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for AcerTabletForum.com

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yeah, that's all we can do.

I noticed a few anomalies after the 3.2 update:
    • Google Market didn't remember all of my installed apps. I had to search many out again.
    • My computer shows internal & external SD's, but not the contents of the external, unless I add it from the computer.

Also, the Acer download site doesn't show Acer Sync for version 3.1 or 3.2, and anyway, it doesn't work that great in any version. I'm getting an %APP DATA% folder on my desktop. Additionally, it seems to have created a "A501" directory in my Documents folder, but it didn't back anything up to it. Seems like it still needs lotsa work although it looks like my Outlook contacts did sync.

3.0.1 to 3.2 Pros
    I do like the options of stretching or zooming views of apps for smaller devices, and it's nice to see my external sd in Windows Explorer. Seems to run lots smoother too.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think the biggest pro about the update is the ability for her to read NTFS USB hard drives. The biggest con is the loss of ability do download data from broadband sim card. problem is described in : http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum....html#poststop
    Last edited by Mantou; 01-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantou View Post
    I think the biggest pro about the update is the ability for her to read NTFS USB hard drives. The biggest con is the loss of ability do download data from broadband sim card. problem is described in : http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum....html#poststop
    Thanks for the info. I thought it was still restricted to the FAT file system. I'll have to try it. Is there a max capacity for a connected drive?

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Iconia A501 can read NTFS

Quote Originally Posted by GL_Joe View Post
    Thanks for the info. I thought it was still restricted to the FAT file system. I'll have to try it. Is there a max capacity for a connected drive?

Hey GL_Joe,
    yeah the funny thing was that, i thought that it was restricted to FAT as well, spent all day figuring out how to partition half my 1TB usb drive and formatting it, when i plugged it in, it only saw the NTFS partition! So i returned it to 1TB and she can read it all. there doesnt appear to be any problems so far. I'm so happy with it, i can watch movies etc on it

I'm using a Western Digital Elements usb drive.

Cheers!

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Not having much luck yet. I tried hooking up my 160 GB NTFS formatted USB drive (Toshiba I believe). The drive is not being recognized yet. I'm thinking maybe I may need to hook up the external power supply to the drive (not needed on CPU). Other than that, I'm not sure what the problem can be.

Are you using a dedicated mounting app?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Not having much luck yet. I tried hooking up my 160 GB NTFS formatted USB drive (Toshiba I believe). The drive is not being recognized yet. I'm thinking maybe I may need to hook up the external power supply to the drive (not needed on CPU). Other than that, I'm not sure what the problem can be.

Are you using a dedicated mounting app?

Hi GL_Joe,
    I am not using a dedicated app. in fact I removed one because it turns out I needed to root my iconia, which I don't know how to do.
    Yeah so does the drive work after plugging some power?

Cheers

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantou View Post
    Hi GL_Joe,
    Yeah so does the drive work after plugging some power?

Cheers
    No luck. The Tab doesn't seem to be recognizing the drive at all. Any ideas?

I tried a fresh boot and replugging it in, etc., but neither Settings nor my file utility see the drive. I double checked the drive on my PC, and it checks out fine: a generic USB drive; NTFS formatted.

Are you running OS version 3.2 or 3.2.1?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    No luck. The Tab doesn't seem to be recognizing the drive at all. Any ideas?

I tried a fresh boot and replugging it in, etc., but neither Settings nor my file utility see the drive. I double checked the drive on my PC, and it checks out fine: a generic USB drive; NTFS formatted.

Are you running OS version 3.2 or 3.2.1?
    Hi GL_Joe,
    Is it possible that there are errors on the drive? Perhaps do a scan disk or something for bad sectors? Perhaps it takes time for her to set up USB when plugged in (how long did you leave it plugged in?). When I plug her in, she says, "Preparing USB storage" at the bottom right hand corner.

I am running
    Android Version 3.2
    Baseband Version Cust:R3C01 Config:R4B01 Conf:R3C01 Protocol:R3B01 App:R3C01
    Kernel version 2.6.36.3+
    Build Number Acer_A501_4.031.27_COM_GEN1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links