• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrstangblb

Thread: VERY curious about rooting my new A500 - but skiddish

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question VERY curious about rooting my new A500 - but skiddish

I just bought one of the A500s from Office Depot last Friday, and it is VERY nice. I had an 8GB Toshiba Thrive, but it just didn't have enough space to download what I wanted to, so hopefully the 16GB in the Iconia will do me just fine!

I rooted the Thrive with little problem and just unrooted it to sell tomorrow, and I've hacked Nook Colors and other tablets, so I'm semi-savvy at this kind of thing, but the more I look at the forums I feel a little confused on what to do with my Iconia.

I now have the ICS update installed, but most of the information I see is pertinent to Honeycomb. Without sounding like a total doofus, is there a guide that can step me through rooting with ICS?

Sorry for the question, but I'm skiddish about rooting until I really get a good handle on it... and I just don't have a good handle on it yet! Thanks for your help in advance,

Barry
    johnraz99 likes this.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    I rooted my A100 a few weeks ago and am very happy I did so - and I'm, sure you are already aware of the usual heads-ups that you'll void your warranty, that you may brick it if you F up and that no one but you can decide if it's wort it to you

When I rooted I followed these instructions and it tool about 5 mins in total: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1531646
    Note that I did it on an A100 but according to the instructions they are for both A100 and A5xx.
    The most common miss people apparently make is not to follow the instructions and download the latest drivers so make sure to do that IF you try this, or any other method requiring it.

I did a short write-up here about what I ended up using my newly found root-power: Finally rooted :)
    I've added some apps since then and may update the post with those findings as well (such as boosting speaker/headset volume, etc).

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    GREAT posts! Thanks for the info very much. I really enjoy playing with these things, but since I have almost 12 months left of warranty, I may wait a little while.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Acer Iconia A500:

ROM List | KERNEL List | RECOVERY List

​Current ROM:
    TegraOwners ICS v170

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Pretty awesome post. I read through the post pages, but I think I'm going to wait until I see a good video on how to run the complete setup for Afterota. Thanks for the info!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links