• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question SD Card Multi-boot for Iconia W500?

Hi everyone! Sorry for my english, I'm out of practice.

I'm a very happy owner of a Iconia W500 and I want to try some operating systems that I saw working well on Youtube.

-Android x86 (brazos)
    -Ubuntu 11.x
    -Windows XP Tablet Edition
    -Fedora 15 and / or other Linux distros

Before I start messing with things, I want to describe a little what I want to do, and wait for your opinion.

I don't want to touch the hard disk so I bought a class 10 Kingston SD card of 32 GB.

My idea is to make different partitions on that SD card, install the operating systems (maybe from an external USB CD drive), and then use some boot-managing program to select which one to boot.

What do you think about this? Too risky or could work?

One problem I see with this plan is if the boot-managing program will recognize on the same menu the SSD hard disk Windows 7 "untouched" partition, and the rest partitions in the SD card.

I'm loving my Iconia so far, and I like to experiment with things like this too. I know the risks, and I did things like this on "normal" PCs, but I want to know besides the "loosing data risk" if there is any hardware risk too that I'm not considering or knowing about, before I start with this little project.

Thank you in advance, and thanks ACER very much for deliver a great tablet "open" for one to explore this possibilities. Of course I know already that ACER won't take any responsibility if I mess things with my experiment, and is totally understandable, of course, but the great thing is that the possibility EXIST thanks to ACER, not like OTHER netbooks or tablets out there.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Hi GW, and welcome to Acer Tablet Forum! We are delighted to have you as a member!

I'm afraid that I am not in a position to give you answers to your questions, not being a technician of any kind, but we have some really knowledgeable members who are always willing to pitch in, so if you can be patient for a bit, your answers should start popping in.

Welcome aboard Buddy!

-Mike
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for AcerTabletForum.com

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Wow, that looks like some serious technical stuff there. Either way, welcome to the forum and we hope that you find what you are looking for.

Sent From Rob's DarkSided ATRIX.
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, after a lot of research it's possible to do this, but not recommendable because one "little" thing I forgot: the life of the SD Card.

Using something like what I suggested may kill your SD Card fast because of the "intensive writing to disk" of having various operating systems on the card. And with the SSD, as it's similar technology, could happen the same.

And remember that if you install other Operating Systems on your SSD you may loose your warranty.

It's possible to do it anyway, there are a lot of procedures available, but if you don't want to kill your SD card, you must do a lot of tweaking on each OS to prevent excessive "writing to disk".

You can install, for example, "live CD" operating systems and keep all the work only on RAM, but you can't keep data with that type of installations, or if you do, you are someway transforming the installation in a fully functional one.

The most reliable possibility is to try with Android x86, and maybe some other Linux based Operating Systems but, again, not with fully functional installations.

With Windows XP is possible too, but is more difficult to achieve and even if you do, and with a lot of tweaking, the system may keep writing a lot to disk and consuming faster the life of your SD Card.

However, it is possible to do all this with an external USB hard disk, but you loose portability of course and that was the point of doing this on a SD Card.

For now I decided only to try a little Android x86 and maybe if I buy an external portable hard disk I will play with all this. But It will be no different of doing it with a "regular" PC.

Again: sorry for my english!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links