• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Honeycomb 3.2 7.006.03 with Root Access and Huawei 3G USB Modem

Hi Guys,

Got my Acer Iconia A500 last week after I ditched by IPAD 1 (hate the fact that I can't plug USB drives to transfer documents easily). So got my Acer with HC 3.0.1. And straight away when I received notification that I had system update available, I updated without any hesitation. Ended up with HC 3.2 A500_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 without root. Initially, I was happy with it, installed all the the apps I liked. Then when I had problem getting GPS to lock, found out that the fix requires me to have root. On top of that, found out that there's also a solution to get 3G USB modem working the tab, and that too requires root. So for the past 6 days, everyday after work, I been spending my time tweaking the tab. I could have settled downgrading to HC 3.1 but I wanted so much to retain 3.2. So after reading countless websites and forums, and flashed my tab with many types of ROM (bricked it a couple of times too), I manage to get my Iconia running with HC 3.2 Rooted plus working 3G USB modem.

Thanks to all the developers who did all the work coming up with the saolution from this forum, xda and many others. I don't do any programming, so don't ask me why certain things don't work or how to solve it if you try this method. I'm just sharing the method I chose from the various posting and information I found to come to this point. So here it goes.

Part 1: Getting Honeycomb 3.2 7.006.03 GEN1 with Root

You need re-downgrade your HC 3.2 to 3.1 or lower. Or you can try timmytim solution of getting HC 3.2 with root, How to root stock 3.2 - xda-developers (thanks to timmytim)

I ended up trying slightly different way because I had problem downloading the files I needed from timmy's post, and secondly I'm not sure if his version is 7.006.03 (will never know cause I still have problem downloading the file). Anyway, I used timmytim's solution on how to get my device UID (requires Android SDK adb devices command) to use with the next step.

I found another website Downloads - acer-a500 - ClockWorkMod recovery,system backup,Offical ROM & etc........ - Google Project Hosting . In there, there's a list of ROMs that can be downloaded. I saw CWM_Root_Acer_A500_7.006.03_COM_GEN1.rar files. Downloaded the files, unrar into a single zip file. I copied the zip file into my microsd, and tried updating it directly into the tab (start button + volume - button), but that didn't work. I guess the CWM at the files names already mean that I need CWM to flash this. Bummer!!

So, had no choice but to downgrade to HC 3.1. I downloaded Acer_A501_0.017.01_PA_ATT (I assumed that it will downgrade my rom to 3.1 - read somewhere in another forum that I can't find again) because it faster using DAP. Unrar the file into a folder. Inside I have the DotNetDetector.exe (similar to timmiytims solution), and CUPID.txt file. I put my devive UID (got using ADB with 0x0 just like timmy's solution). I ran the DotNetDetector and my Iconia was downgraded to HC 3.1

Next, I installed CWM ( read here - [GUIDE] How To Install ClockworkMod - xda-developers) Thanks to SCSIONE889.

Now my tab has CWM so that I can flash other ROMs. So I used CWM to flash Root_Acer_A500_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 that I downloaded earlier. So got my Iconia tab with HC 3.2 7.006.03 with root access. Changed the gps.conf (using ES File Manager with root access), and GPS lock is now faster.

Note: After my 1st flash, my google account was not registered in the tab. Even when I tried to add, it didn't register. So I used CWM on boot to reset factory, clear data, wife delvik cache etc (don't ask me why, I had no idea what I was doing and just trying my luck), and reflashed the HC3.2 7.006.03 again. Then it worked.

So that's my part getting HC 3.2 7.006.03 with Root Access.

Part 2: Getting 3G USB Modem to Work (Huawei E1550 3G USB Modem)

Saw a couple of method in the net. The first one I tried is from this link DISCONTINUED - [PATCH][27-06 update] 100% Working 3g huawei compatible USB dongle - xda-developers . But Dexte_nlb already warned its discontinued, but I tried anyway (flash the 3g-acer31stock-usb.zip file using CWM) and ended up bricking my tab for the upteenth time (had to reflash the HC3.2 Root ROM again just now). So if you have HC3.2 7.006.03, I guess don't try this method. Anyway thanx to Dexte_nlb for the trying.

The one that worked for me is from this link How to Install USB 3G Modem on Acer Iconia Tab A500 Android Tablet (with link to this [DEV] USB 3g for a500 wifi only - xda-developers and [DEV] A500 Kernel Modules - xda-developers to download the necessary kernel files). You need ES File Manager with Root access (to copy the kernel into tab /system and also change system files) and terminal emulator. Follow the methods in the links above to load the kernel and 3G dialer. There a few kernels, but the one that worked for me is k2.6.36.3-00005-g5dff38c.rar

Initially, could not get the 3G modem to run (error option with ttyusb2 in terminal when I ran ppp-start.sh). Did some googling and found out that the ttyUSB number can change (verified. So using ES File Manager, I change the default ttyUSB2 to ttyUSB0 (parameter inside 3G file located in /system/etc/ppp/peers). Now I have 3G modem working for my browser (not sure about App Market, I can open app market, search for apps, but installing took to long)

Shot of my Terminal User running the 3G connection (the tab detected the modem Huawei with 3 tty ports).It showed problem with usb_wwan.ko and option.ko exec format error. I have no idea what these 2 files are for, but even with the error, 3G internet connection still runs.

So that's about it. Again, thanks to all the developers and tweakers for all the solutions/ methods/ files that I've used.
    Last edited by adilz; 10-20-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Thanks for posting.
    Acer Iconia A500:

ROM List | KERNEL List | RECOVERY List

​Current ROM:
    TegraOwners ICS v170

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    anybody knows what are the AT commands for disabling the cd-rom of huawei e353 (e353Wu-1 to be exact)? been looking around the net but saw nothing. just wanna try and see if it works with the iconia. was able to get my e160e working and this one is next in line just need the correct AT commands.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_mmx View Post
    anybody knows what are the AT commands for disabling the cd-rom of huawei e353 (e353Wu-1 to be exact)? been looking around the net but saw nothing. just wanna try and see if it works with the iconia. was able to get my e160e working and this one is next in line just need the correct AT commands.
    AT^U2DIAG=0 works for all non-cdma modems.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have Huawei E1550 and when I connecting it, in console after line with Manufacturer no such lines like GSM modem found... Why?? All that stuff including libhuawei.so are present. What's wrong with this?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I already tried that. It works for the e160e that I also have but not on e353Wu.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can you help me with ICS. I dont want to roll back to HC and then install the kernel, could you tell me some other way to use this in ICS.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    AT^U2DIAG=0 works for all non-cdma modems.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links