• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation A200: Updating/Replacing Custom Recovery From Recovery Boot?

Hi there,

I have the glorious Acer Iconia a200 (old thing, slowish, absolutely perfect) and decided to mess around with it a bit.

What I wanted to achieve was, of course, this.

But I thought I was smart (hint: I am not) and used a combination of a toolkit (AcerA200 SimpleTool v2) and ROM Manager first, which installed a wrong version of CWM (v5.5.0.4 based). I didn't notice at first, booted the recovery mode, and proceeded with the good'ol wipe data/format blablabla before flashing the ROM. Here's where things went south: everything froze after starting the wipe, so after 15 minutes I decided to retry. I manually shut down my precious, and now 1 of 2 things happens:
    • If I do nothing, the tablet shows the acer logo, but doesn't move on to the iconia tab logo, freezes instead.
    • If I hold the Vol- button I get to the bad CWM.

Also:
    • Not able to boot into bootloader (power & Vol+ or power & both Vol).
    • The computer doesn't recognise the tablet anymore, so no adb or fastboot for me (it sees that it is plugged in, recognises it's an Acer Iconia Tab A200, but fails to install the drivers for it, even though they were already installed. In Device Manager, the computer changes the name to MTP USB Device. Uninstalling/reinstalling does the same).
    • BUT I have a working sd card, detected by the current CWM!

Ideally, I'd love to be able to update CWM to the one they were recommending on that forum, or install that custom recovery instead of the current one. Is it possible?

Is there any other option?

Note: I live in Vietnam, so my reply time may be super off, depending on where you live...
    Last edited by zonure; 08-09-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Try holding the volume + button and the power button and when it vibrates toggle the screen rotation switch

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had just experienced the same issue as you. I also had CWM (v5.5.0.4 ) installed. All I had done was clear user data (use the steps below).

Clear user data Steps:

1. Power off the tablet and hold in landscape orientation.

2. Press and hold the Volume down button, which is located farthest from the touch screen lock switch.

3. With the Volume down button held, press and hold the Power button until the tablet vibrates. Once the tablet vibrates release the Power button but Continue holding the Volume down button.

4. Once the tablet vibrates a second time, release the Volume down button and quickly press the Volume up button.

5. Continue holding the Volume up button until the tablet vibrates a third time.

6. On the Android system recovery screen, select wipe data/factory reset.

7. When prompted to Confirm wipe of all user data, select Yes -- delete all user data.

8. On the Android system recovery screen, select reboot system now. Your data will be erased.

9. At this point I had put the omni-4.4.4-20150210-a200-IconiaHD.zip file on a micro SD which you can download from Here Which can also be found on the [ROM][A200] OmniROM KitKat 4.4.4 area of the forums Here

10. After the omni-4.4.4-20150210-a200-IconiaHD.zip was installed via CWM ver 5.5.0.4 I rebooted and let it boot. It took a very long time to boot the first time ( 20 min or more but not more than 30min) then i was prompted with the Welcome screen. Follow the onscreen steps to setup your tablet.

After it was setup I rebooted again one more time and let it sit for 10 min.

11. Now you can update the recovery to CWM 6.0.4.4 which you can download Here .

use fastboot on your PC, to install it on your tablet :

Code:
    (for linux:) sudo fastboot flash recovery recoveryCWM6045.img
    (for windows:) fastboot flash recovery recoveryCWM6045.img
    Then reboot

Good Luck. Hope this works for you.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I could not install the OmniROM KitKat 4.4.4 because CWM5504 will not read my external micro SD. Tks

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links