• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Removing certian apps

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Removing certian apps

First of all I want to say that this is a great site. I have learned a lot from here. But I still need a little help on removing factory apps. I know that you can remove apps before you flash the rom but what I need to know is where the apps are in the from folder, and what apps can be removed that won't affect the system from running well. By the way I will be using a factory stock ICS 4.0.3 rom also if I do this. Will it affect me getting system updates? Thank you for your help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Removing certian apps

Quote Originally Posted by Troubled View Post
    First of all I want to say that this is a great site. I have learned a lot from here. But I still need a little help on removing factory apps. I know that you can remove apps before you flash the rom but what I need to know is where the apps are in the from folder, and what apps can be removed that won't affect the system from running well. By the way I will be using a factory stock ICS 4.0.3 rom also if I do this. Will it affect me getting system updates? Thank you for your help
    First off, i don't know how this'll affect updates. You'll need to root your a200. I used a combination of apps to remove bloatware.
    Root app uninstaller available in market will remove most bloat. Others are stored in flexrom and I used root explorer to remove apps from there as well as odex files in /system/app
    Hope this helps you.
    Warning!!! Be very careful what you remove! Make backups!

Or try this: http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum...ad.php?p=24358

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by netw3rkd; 12-09-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Rather than delete apps, I would recommend just disabling them. With ICS and JB, most all factory apps can be disabled. I have never had an issue disabling a factory app like Maps, GMail or Talk. If you start disabling sync apps, or downloader, you will run into stability issues.

Most any app in the app drawer should be able to be disabled. The huge advantage to disable vs uninstalling is OTA updates will still work if they are disabled. If you uninstall them the OTA updates will fail.
    Mrhelper likes this.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene. - Homer Jay Simpson

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Removing certian apps

This is what I do when coming to bloatware and the like...

Of course as everyone has said you must be rooted...

Get Titanium Backup, its your rooted androids best friend...and "freeze" whatever program is bothering you, making a backup. Then, reboot...I have a list of whats safe to freeze and ultimately delete, and I'm sure there's lists around here...

BTW - a welcome to the forums

Also, before messing with 'stock ware' always make a backup, a Nandroid....Titanium will lead you through it - and if you have serious questions private message me, I'll get back to you quickly....and always run gtalk, voxer (and its new cousin) and all that b.s.

However a little birdie told me that Acer is stopping at ICS for us

Sent from one of my modified ReDNeCK Google Android devices powered by armadillos running around my homemade 'hamster wheel' housed in my shed outside my pimped up single wide trailer!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Tablets: Acer a200/a500 - (200 my fav, {shrugs}) - Running AOKP 4.1.2 MILESTONE 1 (UNOFFICIAL) W/GM KERNEL 2.0 (when this was posted)
    Phones: LG-P999 (G2X) - Samsung GalaxyS Blaze 4G & SIII (BLAZE ON BAKED AOKP 4.1.2 - SIII ROOTED ON STOCK)
    Network: T-Mobile (now and forever...11 years now, EX-Verizon (HateM)
    All devices rooted and running custom roms and kernels.....
    Last edited by THe0TeXaN0aCeR; 12-09-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    There's some good advice in the posts above -- e.g., disabling but not removing vendor apps, making backups, etc. Keep in mind though that neither root nor Titanium Backup are necessary to "freeze" vendor apps on devices running ICS. That functionality is now built into the stock OS.

The stock version of ICS includes functionality to disable (a.k.a. freeze) apps in the Settings > Apps > All (tab) control panel for each app. This accomplishes the same "frozen" stare that Titanium Backup provides.

To use the "disable" option, just select the Uninstall updates button for each app you wish to disable. That will expose the Disable button. Simply press that and the app will disappear from the user screen app menus. It will also sort to the bottom of the Apps > All list under Settings where it can subsequently be enabled if desired by pressing the same button again. There is little to no value in actually removing the Iconia vendor apps, which take up relatively trivial amounts of user storage when disabled.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 12-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can you post a link to where I can go to get this list of apps that can be removed. I can't seem to find anything on this subject thank you.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Please keep in mind that what's right for you to disable may not be right for someone else. It depends on which features you use, and may require some experimentation. Disabling an app using the stock ICS controls will not do any permanent damage, and you can always re-enable apps if you go too far.

As Frederuco noted above, you can disable most vendor apps shown in the app drawer without having problems. He wisely pointed out that you should not disable Downloads, and I'll add Settings to that list. There is an older thread discussing this issue here: What all can be disabled and the tablet still function properly. If you use Rob's method there in post #3, that will keep you out of trouble by restricting you only to apps in the app drawer, which you access by pressing the app drawer button in the upper right of the home screen.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhelper View Post
    Please keep in mind that what's right for you to disable may not be right for someone else. It depends on which features you use, and may require some experimentation. Disabling an app using the stock ICS controls will not do any permanent damage, and you can always re-enable apps if you go too far.

As Frederuco noted above, you can disable most vendor apps shown in the app drawer without having problems. He wisely pointed out that you should not disable Downloads, and I'll add Settings to that list. There is an older thread discussing this issue here: What all can be disabled and the tablet still function properly. If you use Rob's method there in post #3, that will keep you out of trouble by restricting you only to apps in the app drawer, which you access by pressing the app drawer button in the upper right of the home screen.
    Basicly what the link says, is. If you don't know what it is or what it does without doing resurch on it, then leave it there.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK I have another question. Is there any way use commands on the Acer a200, such as pinging a router and such?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    You can get a Terminal Emulator to do this. Keep in mind, it will be linux based commands for things rather than windows based commands, but you can do a ping 192.168.0.1 just the same in both environments: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...al.androidterm

Or there are some that are graphical based like FING: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...k.android.fing
    Last edited by Frederuco; 12-13-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene. - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links