• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pijanica

Thread: A200 tablet... want to upgrade to Jelly Bean... please help?.?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question A200 tablet... want to upgrade to Jelly Bean... please help?.?

I am a newbie to the Android concept. I recently purchased an A200 with ICS and would like to upgrade it to Jelly Bean. I purchased it as a refurb from Acer. How do I upgrade to Jelly Bean? Will it need to be 'rooted'? and 'wiped'? Instructions please. Sorry for the ignorance on this. I am pretty good with PC's and Mac's so it shouldn't be too hard... just wanted to ask those who are the best at it.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    bsimon21,

You will indeed need to unlock the bootloader, gain root access and wipe some data. Thankfully, there are some talented people here that have made this process rather simple for the regular user (like myself and possibly you)

Check out the two stickies at the top of this forum called SimpleTool and SimpleWipe. SimpleTool is a program that essentially executes a series of scripts to unlock your bootloader, root, and flash a custom recovery image (the place where you will "flash" custom roms like JB!). If you are a visual learner, be sure to check YouTube for a how-to video on rooting your a200 using SimpleTool. It has been some time before I have seen one of these videos but I will assume they still exist as YouTube has a video about virtually everything.

SimpleWipe is actually the more important of these two. Wiping data partitions is very important when flashing roms to eliminate any confusion and possible soft-bricking of your tablet. You can actually do this manually, but the convenience of SimpleWipe is beautiful thing.

A sub forum of this forum named a200 roms will have the Jelly Beans you crave. There are two flavors of JB that I have used and found stable enough to be a daily driver rom. The AOKP version ported by DarrenAustAE and CM JellyTime r3 ported by jeanne8fr. Personally I prefer JellyTime, but if customization is your thing than AOKP may be a better bet.

Be methodical when it comes to making changes to your tablet. Please be sure to read threads on how to do it and also the threads where people made terrible mistakes and messed everything up! You will learn from both. If you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask. Hopefully, I gave you a jumping off point.
    j_medved likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pijanica View Post
    bsimon21,

You will indeed need to unlock the bootloader, gain root access and wipe some data. Thankfully, there are some talented people here that have made this process rather simple for the regular user (like myself and possibly you)

Check out the two stickies at the top of this forum called SimpleTool and SimpleWipe. SimpleTool is a program that essentially executes a series of scripts to unlock your bootloader, root, and flash a custom recovery image (the place where you will "flash" custom roms like JB!). If you are a visual learner, be sure to check YouTube for a how-to video on rooting your a200 using SimpleTool. It has been some time before I have seen one of these videos but I will assume they still exist as YouTube has a video about virtually everything.

SimpleWipe is actually the more important of these two. Wiping data partitions is very important when flashing roms to eliminate any confusion and possible soft-bricking of your tablet. You can actually do this manually, but the convenience of SimpleWipe is beautiful thing.

A sub forum of this forum named a200 roms will have the Jelly Beans you crave. There are two flavors of JB that I have used and found stable enough to be a daily driver rom. The AOKP version ported by DarrenAustAE and CM JellyTime r3 ported by jeanne8fr. Personally I prefer JellyTime, but if customization is your thing than AOKP may be a better bet.

Be methodical when it comes to making changes to your tablet. Please be sure to read threads on how to do it and also the threads where people made terrible mistakes and messed everything up! You will learn from both. If you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask. Hopefully, I gave you a jumping off point.
    exactly that I did good explaning
    RobinGall2910

WHOO

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links