• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bricked A200 / no CWM / no Hard Reset / no update.zip

Hi there!

I think I bricked my A200 out of stupidity. Around a month ago I rooted it with hbws simpletools without a problem (including the CWM). All was fine, till the day I tried to install a custom rom (to be specific, grezzarom).
    I installed, nearly bricked and recovered some mobiles before and everything was fine.
    But not the A200. Before the installation of the custom rom I tried to do a full wipe with either CWM and superwipe. Neither of them worked (normal wipe freezed at data I think and superwipe at cache). But I installed the custom rom without a problem (but without a full wipe beforehand). No booting was assured.

Panicmode activated, I looked for solutions here and at xda.
    My bootloader version is 0.03.06-ICS (Unlock Mode), before the brick i had ICS 4.0.3 DE installed.

What did I try:
    Could install thorsrecovery and hbws recovery via fastboot, but couldn't get a Stock or custom Rom to run - they all freezed at erasing cache or data.
    Tried the flash:raw boot.img-kernel/ramdisk and from there nothing worked.
    Hard reset is giving me an Unrecoverable bootloader error (0x19-8) after erasing userdata.
    I can use fastboot and flash hbws boot and recoveries but at entering recovery the tab freezes at "Erasing cache before SD Update" (with and without external SD).
    I tried to install update.zip via fastboot but just getting "archive does not contain android-blabla" with several stock- and custom roms.
    Tried the flashing, erasing and reflashing of boot.img and recovery.img several times and from differend roms (also hbws).

I downloaded nvflash to perhaps erase the cache partition with it, but I don't know how. Tried to at least obtain the partition tables but nvflash is giving me a "rcm version 0x4 - Command send failed (usb write failed)" (but I installed the provided USB drivers without a problem).

Does anyone have an idea how to fix the problem? Where were the kernel & ramdisks from and are they the problem? Is there a way to recover the tablet? Do you need aditional information?
    Last edited by Zeddi; 06-28-2012 at 08:24 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    First NVflash is locked down with a secure boot key (SBK) and that is why you receive the error. I have a project I am working on to try and get our NVflash working.

What happens when you try flashing recovery.img via fastboot? Are you getting errors or does it seem to be working correctly? I tried flashing HBwelch's beta 2 ROM one time and it relocked the bootloader. With it locked fastboot will not flash recovery.img.

As long as you have fastboot your tab should be recoverable. Try this link for Thor recovery and flash in fastboot. Maybe try

Code:
    fastboot erase recovery
    before flashing.
    Want to thank me? Use this link and we both get 500 mb of dropbox space!
    or this link and we both get 5 gb of Copy space!

Droid Bionic - Stock JB - rooted(retired to a dev device)
    Acer Iconia A200 WiFi - CM10 overclocked to 1.5ghz
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - Paranoid Android 3+

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Wetzel,

nice to see that someone is working at a NVflash solution! I don't have the knowledge to help you with this, but good to hear, that something is missing and it is not my fault.
    Yes, I tried to flash recovery several times with all aviable recoveries I could find (thors, hbws, stock, some other), as fastboot is working. I got no error in flashing, everything seemed okay and the recovery was erased beforehand. The bootloader was and is unlocked all the time from my previous and successful rooting at the beginning.
    Tried flashing the recovery again a few minutes ago, but the freeze at starting the recovery is still there ("Erasing Cache before SD Update").

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    So if I am understanding correctly you are not even getting into recovery then?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, that's right, unfortunately.

I think I might have flashed a errorous or wrong boot or kernel, but I'm not sure. The absent ability to go in recovery might have to do with wrong permissions, as neither cache nor userdata is erasable.
    Last edited by Zeddi; 06-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    This link might be of help.

You could try

Code:
    fastboot erase -w
    It might allow you to wipe your cache and data. Also erasing boot might be worth a shot. I would try erasing boot, recovery, and system before trying to reflash a fresh recovery. It might help get ride of whatever is causing your problems.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I did mine the same way the other day and after the feeling that I was going to throw up went away I found this and it fixed it. I was able to get into recovery and flash a new rom.

1. Download AcerA200 Simple Tool V2
    2. Extract to C:\ (the easiest way)
    3. Fire up your tablet to fastboot (power + volume down + orientation lock)
    4. On pc, run cmd and type c:\fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (this is hbwelch's CWM)

Or, you can also use Thor Recovery. Save to C:\
    4b. On cmd, type c:\fastboot flash recovery thorrecovery.img

Reboot and done. I guess you should know how to enter recovery.

I got this post from another thread and it was posted by "antukubo". Puting credit where it belongs.
    Sent from A200

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi wetzel & Nomad,

I tried the erase -w but it froze again at erasing Cache.
    The fix with hbws or Thors recovery was one of the first things I tried, see above.
    I sent the tab to Acer now, as there seems to be a Hardware issue with it.
    Thanks neverteless both of you.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Sorry to hear that but I was suspecting that would end up being the case.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddi View Post
    Hi wetzel & Nomad,

I tried the erase -w but it froze again at erasing Cache.
    The fix with hbws or Thors recovery was one of the first things I tried, see above.
    I sent the tab to Acer now, as there seems to be a Hardware issue with it.
    Thanks neverteless both of you.
    After reading though your postings here I would have come to the same conclusion as you that there was a hardware problem as you seamed to be doing everything correctly. In your case im thinking there was problem a bad block in your internal sdcard that was sitting in that area where it was attempting to wipe data from. Or something very bad happened to your bootloader. But I would have put money on bad block in cache area.

Ads