• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cautious Rooting A200 - custom recovery disappears

Hi, I got my A200 a few weeks ago and did the ICS OTA. Now I need to root it to make it connect to wifi in adhoc mode. I've been following the SimpleTool V2 .bat file. It didn't work for me, and I rather use adb etc manually from Linux.

The first step was to unlock to bootloader, that went fine:
    Code:
    # UNLOCK
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    Step 2, install the custom recovery:
    Code:
    # INSTALL RECOVERY
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Installing the custom recovery (CWM) seems to work. But running the custom recovery, I seem to only have one shot. I can hold the VolDown button right after a "fastboot reboot" then hold down VolDown then I get into ClockWork. But if I shutdown and restart (cold) holding VolDown I see it trying to boot the recovery image but there isn't one. Thor's CWM is the same way, I can boot it if I fastboot right into recovery, but if I go cold or go into OS first, it seems wiped.

Can someone explain what is going on? <------

Also, I'd like to know the button/keys to press to get just to the bootloader's fastboot and not go into the broken recovery. That would also help me feel comfortable with the next step. Does anyone know this? Edit: Thanks to ptesmoke on XDA, you flick the screen rotation lock switch back and forth while holding VolDown. (and now I found that info here by Euclid's Brother)

Edit:
    Also my bootloader is 0.03.06.
    Last edited by syserr; 05-12-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well it turns out that before flashing the custom recovery, to make it stick I had to flash boot.img. If someone can enlighten me as to why, I'd be very greatful.

So in summary:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot reboot
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot reboot
    Now I can hold VolDown while powering on, and it will run Thor's CMW on cold starts etc.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    You have to flash the boot image first because the custom boot image is what actually allows rw access to the system.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    You have to flash the boot image first because the custom boot image is what actually allows rw access to the system.
    Thanks. I thought the boot image was for the running OS... bootloader -> normal boot process. Are you saying the custom boot image comes before the boot loader runs? Or is it the boot loader itself?

Thanks again!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by syserr View Post
    Thanks. I thought the boot image was for the running OS... bootloader -> normal boot process. Are you saying the custom boot image comes before the boot loader runs? Or is it the boot loader itself?

Thanks again!
    I have to apologize, after reading your response I re-read what you had asked. I misunderstood what you were after. Please disregard my preivous post. At the moment as to your actual concern, i don't have an answer ... yet...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Edited... I thought I had a solution to make Thor's CWM stick, but I didn't.

What I did was:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    ### COLD POWER OFF by holding in power for 10 seconds
    This appeared to work, but after a night's sleep I fired it up into recovery (VolUp+Power)... and got the old grumpy standard recovery.

If folks have ideas, I'm game.

Also, from my message some months ago, it wasn't apparent to me what I used for "boot.img". I gave it a whirl extracting the boot.img out of my newest OTA. As I said though, still Thor's CWM does not stick after repeated cold boots.
    Last edited by syserr; 02-17-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I want to clarify:

RIGHT ROCKER BUTTON (VolUp?) plus Screen lock/unlock toggling will actually get you into CLEAR USER DATA. I assume this is just like a "factory reset."

LEFT ROCKER BUTTON (VolDown?) plus Screen lock/unlock toggling (a few times) will get you into fastboot. This shortcuts having a bootable OS + USB Debug turned on + running "adb reboot-bootloader"
    Last edited by syserr; 02-17-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links