• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Need help recovering an apparently "bricked" Acer A100 tablet

I've had my A100 for 3 months and have had very few problems. I love it. However, I took it to a conference in Venice as my only computer and in the process of copying photos from the micro-SD card of my phone to the main/internal 5gb card of the A100, I've somehow "bricked" the tablet.

It was running Android 4.03.

I've gone through all the online stuff I can find on the internet using my netbook and have tried a number of hard reset type things to recover the tablet. Nothing seems to work.

I'm in Paris for the next 3 1/2 weeks and while I have my netbook, I'd really like to be able to recover and use the A100 before going back to Canada and having it replaced under warrantee with the retailer I bought it from.

This is what I've done:

1) Holding down the "down" volume lever (the end of the lever furthest from the rotation lock toggle) with the rotation lock toggle "up" (i.e. closer to the end of the tablet with the power on/off switch), I held down the power on button. When the tablet buzzed, I toggled the rotation lock toggle and this message appeared:

Erasing user data ...
    Erasing Cache ...

I continued holding down the "down" volume lever throughout this, the tablet buzzed again and the word "acer" appeared on the screen. I let go of the volume lever and the word "acer" continued to appear on the screen for a long time. It clearly didn't reset the tablet to the "factory condition".

2) Holding down the "up" volume lever (closest to the rotation lock toggle), I turned the power on. The table buzzed and then this message came on the screen:

Erasing cache before SD update
    SD update cmd: update recovery
    - update_package=SD CARD: update.zip
    Boot recovery kernel image

A graphic of the android robot appears with a spinning wire form in front of a panel on its "stomach". This then stops and another image of the android robot appears on its "back" with a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside over the open panel on its "stomach". This would appear to convey the "fact" that the Android operating system is dead.

3) Another combination I tried but which I can't now replicate, involved holding the volume level "up" and powering on. It gave me the message:

Bootloader v0.03.13-ICS: Starting Fastboot USB download protocol

I've seen this in some of the recovery tips online, but they're all so complicated that I'm not able to follow the process of loading software on my netbook (running Ubuntu 10.10) and then apparently trying to install software on the tablet.

Can any one provide a link to an extremely detailed step-by-step list of instructions for a complete newby to get my A100 recovered?

Bob Thomson
    Ottawa, Canada
    (In Paris for the next 3 1/2 weeks)

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    1) That is the factory reset. Your procedure looks good, but I would not hold down the volume rocker after the "erasing" messages come up. Try doing it the same, but release everything after the message comes up.

2) That is the update from sd card procedure. Which we may need again....

3) That is how to boot to the bootloader. It is the same as the factory reset, but you use the other volume rocker (volume down). It is not needed if you are on the stock bootloader (which you are).

If a couple more tries of the factory reset procedure (also a link in my signature), doesn't clear it up. You might have to try the Acer rom HERE< And the update from SD procedure. Which will reflash the stock ICS on your tab.
    ASK For Help In The Rescue Squad Forum ______
    Guide HOW TO: Perform A Factory Reset
    [ROM] A100 Stock ICS firmware
    Acer Support Website

Acer A100 -- CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    LG Nexus4 - ASOPA Kit Kat 4.4 -- LTE enabled
    i7 920 @4.2ghz - Evga X58 Classy - 8gb GSkill DDR3-1600 - HD6950 2gb @1ghz -1tb WD - Win7 Pro 64

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Symptoms are exactly like mine (both the first time my A100 died a couple of months ago...and now...).
    I noticed you wrote you were using it instead of a computer at the time it died and both times my A100 died I had also been using it rather extensively (6-7 hours).

I had mine in a case both times it died. I wonder if there is some correlation between extensive use, heat trapped in a cage and...dead A100.

All I know is I'm sending mine away this week for the second time in two months....

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Usually deleted data can still be recovered with help of data recovery software, I may recommend you one I have used before: Android Photo Recovery . It is good at recover data including photos, videos and music files deleted by mistake.
    Last edited by marrylinedan; 03-28-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I always use Android Data Recovery to recover data from Android phones or tablets. There are many of them, such as iPubsoft, iStonsoft, Vibosoft, and so on!
    Last edited by simencarls; 09-15-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Try to reinstall the acer usb drivers. If that doesn't work, try it on another pc. Apx Mode seems not to work on every pc. With my laptop I can flash my 501 in Apx Mode, but on my desktop pc it doesn't work.
    If you lose the data in your Acer, just go to http://android-recovery.net/.
    Last edited by EveAaron; 10-21-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the same problem for my Nexus 5. The first place I seek for help is XDA developer. However, the answers were complicated for me to fully understand it. lots of hacks and commands. Finally failed. Then I tried several data recovery app designed for android phone. Fortunately, find out a great one and got my data back.

Here is the step by step tutorial: How to recover data an Android phone

Although it was demonstrated with Galaxy S5, it also applies to other Android phone and tablets.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You still have chance to recover the data so long as your deleted ot lost data havn't been covered. So you first thing to do is to stop adding new data to your device. Then you need restore from your backup files or with android data recovery
    Last edited by Xkoiul; 12-20-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Eva
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't worry. You can get the files in your bricked Android phone with Android data recovery software. Here is the detailed tutorial you can refer to:
    How to Retrieve Deleted Text Messages from Android Phone

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mobiledic Android recovery is a good one for this. I used this program to recover all lost data from factory reset.
    Last edited by royeecio; 05-24-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links