• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My A100 won't boot - tips?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times

My A100 won't boot - tips?

Running fine, I put it to sleep by clicking the power button. A few minutes later it wouldn't wake up. Click, click, click, nothing. So I held the power button down for several seconds, then released it, then again. It went into a cold startup, "Acer" then the flashing "android" screen. Hangs there forever.

At first I thought it might be busy, let it sit for 30 minutes, constant flashing "android", nothing happens. Paperclip reset has no effect - reboots to the same thing.

Any other tips to recover this thing without wiping all data? Boot to a cmd prompt? Does putting in an "update.zip" on the sd card and booting with the volume button wipe the entire device?

Thanks for any tips.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    It tried restoring update.zip for every release: 3.2, 3.2.1, 4.0.3. None worked. I had to wipe the tablet and start from scratch. Then "check for update" and by the 5th time around I was back on ICS 4.0.3 with the post-ICS update. Then I re-rooted. Now reloading all my apps. Then finally restore data with TitaniumBackup.

What a pain. Wish I knew what caused it...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    I would consider yourself lucky. I have seen several people with a a similar situation, and they heave not been able to factory reset out of it. It almost seems like the partitions get screwed up and the tab can't find the recovery or boot any more.

I'm glad to hear it came back to you, :-)
    ASK For Help In The Rescue Squad Forum ______
    Guide HOW TO: Perform A Factory Reset
    [ROM] A100 Stock ICS firmware
    Acer Support Website

Acer A100 -- CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    LG Nexus4 - ASOPA Kit Kat 4.4 -- LTE enabled
    i7 920 @4.2ghz - Evga X58 Classy - 8gb GSkill DDR3-1600 - HD6950 2gb @1ghz -1tb WD - Win7 Pro 64

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Five kinds of resets I know of, tried 4 of them and one worked. From least intrusive to most:

1. Cold restart: long hold power to shut down completely, then long hold again to boot up (does NOT wipe data).
    2. Paperclip reset (does NOT wipe data, just does a cold restart).
    3. Copy "update.zip" to root of SD card, hold down volume button while long-pressing on power button (does NOT wipe data, but reloads/updates the OS).
    4. Software erase: system settings, select erase tablet (wipes everything).
    5. Hardware erase: hold down volume button while long-pressing power, as soon as tablet vibrates, flick the orientation lock switch back and forth.

In my case (5) is what saved my A100 from becoming a brick. It's a shame that Android doesn't have better options for troubleshooting boot problems. It's almost certain my problem was a misbehaved service causing boot to hang. If Android had a "safe mode" boot option that doesn't run any installed services, I could have fixed it w/o wiping all the data.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    This might be able to help out some if you have a custom recovery.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1682525

I always recommend making a Nandroid at least once every 2 weeks, I do it every week. Also Titanium backup set on a schedule to backup all new apps and newer versions twice a week. Get a good size SD card and set titanium backup folder to SD card so those apps will always be safe. This has saved me many times with my Acer and Xoom, especially when just switching roms.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Castorshells View Post
    This might be able to help out some if you have a custom recovery.[Tool][Port][Blackhole Nullifier & Wipe][1.5a][6.3.12] - xda-developers
    Be Careful here, this link is for the Nullifer script which will wipe everything out, which is good for starting from scratch (removing bad flashes and such).

Here is the XDA link for CWM for the A100: [RECOVERY] CWM 5.5.0.4 For Acer A100 - xda-developers
    Here is the XDA link for TWRP for the A100: [RECOVERY] A100 TWRP recovery v2.2.0+ - xda-developers

I personally use CWM and recommend it, I have also used TWRP and would recommend it as well. I like the touch features of TWRP but prefer CWM (better reputation).
    You could have wiped System/Cache/Dalvik from either of these and then reloaded your ROM. It would have worked the first flash.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    had the same problem today..tried everything nothing came up...the device stopped on acer while booting what to do

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i think I am one of those..any alternative...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok so I have an Acer Android tablet that won't turn on. I have dropped it a few times and nothing messed up, until about a week. Everything forced close, well almost everything. Now when I go to turn it on it shows the android screen where white runs across the word...It does this 24/7 unless I "turn it off" Well I tried holding the volume button down and a green android bot showed up on the black screen with a settings thing inside of him. Then it changed from the settings thingymijig to a caution (a triangle with an explimation mark inside it) and then stayed there. HELP!!!!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lugwaja View Post
    Ok so I have an Acer Android tablet that won't turn on. I have dropped it a few times and nothing messed up, until about a week. Everything forced close, well almost everything. Now when I go to turn it on it shows the android screen where white runs across the word...It does this 24/7 unless I "turn it off" Well I tried holding the volume button down and a green android bot showed up on the black screen with a settings thing inside of him. Then it changed from the settings thingymijig to a caution (a triangle with an explimation mark inside it) and then stayed there. HELP!!!!
    I think the procedure you tried was the update from SD card. You are going to want to try the factory reset. You will lose all your data that is not on the SD card.

[HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset

Read method #2 and watch the video.
    ASK For Help In The Rescue Squad Forum ______
    Guide HOW TO: Perform A Factory Reset
    [ROM] A100 Stock ICS firmware
    Acer Support Website

Acer A100 -- CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    LG Nexus4 - ASOPA Kit Kat 4.4 -- LTE enabled
    i7 920 @4.2ghz - Evga X58 Classy - 8gb GSkill DDR3-1600 - HD6950 2gb @1ghz -1tb WD - Win7 Pro 64

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads