• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Low Memory

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Low Memory

I have a Acer Iconia A100. I have had it about six months now, it was upgraded to the ICS update by Acer. My tablet is also rooted. I have had this problem the last couple of months where it will say low memory. I go into settings, apps and it says 4.9G used / 339 MB free, now when I go into storage and it says total space and under apps it says 479MB. How come under apps its saying 4.9GB but under storage, its says 479MB used. I noticed last week I had about half of my storage free approximately 2.4G, now its saying 332MB free. I have not downloaded anything since then. This is the second time this has happened to me. I called Acer and their only solution was to do a factory reset, which I reluctantly did because I had problem installing a app before. I remember that I installed this app around the time I had this issue the first time, app is copilot (navigation app). Because it wouldnt install properly, I had called their support and they told me that the map file of the app (which had to be downloaded seperatly) had to be installed to the sd card. It would not download to the sd card, just the internal storage. I moved the file manually to the sd card but the app would not recognize it there so I kept it on my internal storage, which was not a problem because it was only 1.86 GB of space. It worked fine and then about a month later, I was low on storage. When I called Acer they told me to do a factory reset, did that and reinstalled all my apps including copilot and now, about 3 weeks later, Im low on space again. When I spoke to Acer before, they told me that they just deal with hardware issues. So, I called Google Android support thinking they would be able to help since it was their operating system. They told me that this version of ICS I have 4.0.03 would not allow files and apps to be transfered to the sd card. I am thourghly confused at what to do. Maybe it doesnt have anything to do with copilot but I never had this problem before I purchased this app. I really need this app as I am a truck driver. I am hoping someone on here can help me. I am desperate.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    There is a bug in ICS for the a100/a200/a500 series tablets that apparently causes this condition for anyone using the GPS. The problem is not a bug in Copilot, but Copilot users see it more often merely because of their frequent use of GPS. It is a file leak that causes a build up of files in /data/gps. It was apparently delivered with Android 4.0.3 to all a100/a200/a500 series tablets. You'll probably need to periodically clean out your /data/gps directory using a file manager such as ES File Explorer. Factory data reset is the only option for non-rooted users, which is probably why Acer support recommended that. You state that you already have root privilege. You'll need that to see and remove the files. The files that are not automatically being cleaned up use to the following naming convention: gl-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS.txt (example: gl-2012-06-25-235959.txt)

I don't know exactly what the Acer support people were telling you, but they are responsible for this software and this bug.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-24-2012 at 11:34 PM.
    bilderberg likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, thank you so much for shedding some light on this issue. How exactly do I clean these files up? Thanks in advance.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Also, I read a thread about switching so the internal memory is running from the sd card, is that possible? The thread gave details but when I followed them, it didnt work?? Also, how dangerous is that since Im a newbie.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Also, these files that need to be cleaned up, how do I know where they are, is there a particular folder I need to open to see them??

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jreink01 View Post
    Also, these files that need to be cleaned up, how do I know where they are, is there a particular folder I need to open to see them??
    I'm not at my tab now, but I believe it is /data/gps
    ASK For Help In The Rescue Squad Forum ______
    Guide HOW TO: Perform A Factory Reset
    [ROM] A100 Stock ICS firmware
    Acer Support Website

Acer A100 -- CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    LG Nexus4 - ASOPA Kit Kat 4.4 -- LTE enabled
    i7 920 @4.2ghz - Evga X58 Classy - 8gb GSkill DDR3-1600 - HD6950 2gb @1ghz -1tb WD - Win7 Pro 64

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jreink01 View Post
    Also, I read a thread about switching so the internal memory is running from the sd card, is that possible? The thread gave details but when I followed them, it didnt work?? Also, how dangerous is that since Im a newbie.
    What you mention about using the SD card as "internal" user data space is possible by swapping the volume mounts. I'm not sure which procedure you were looking at, but it is very risky to use root privilege in general, because you can easily damage/corrupt the ROM image so badly that the system will cease to operate normally, or even fail to boot. One consequence could be that you'd then have to flash a ROM image to repair the damage. Unless you are prepared to do that work, the alternative is to be extremely careful and judicious with the use of root privilege.

You asked how to delete the /data/gps *.txt files. I suggested in my other post that you can use ES File Explorer to do that. You'd have to permit it to use root privilege under the settings.

Another way to do this is with a terminal app, and use shell commands or even a script. You would have to "su" within the terminal session to gain root access.

Example sh command to remove the files: rm /data/gps/gl-*.txt

Before using a wild card (*) in sh to delete files, it is good practice to first test the name pattern using the ls command, as follows: ls -l /data/gps/gl-*.txt

If the ls command does not work to show the files, then you need to check very carefully what you have typed, and not proceed with the rm command until you resolve that. Another bit of advice: if you do decide to use shell commands, then play around with at least ls and rm under /sdcard/Download for a while without using root.

If this all seems a bit intimidating, don't feel bad. This is not typical tablet user-level stuff. Another solution such as an occasional Factory data reset may be safer for most users overall. You could supplement this with a backup and restore of data that you wish to keep to eliminate manual setup after each Factory data reset.

This really needs to be fixed by Acer.

Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-25-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The files that are not automatically being cleaned up use to the following naming convention: gl-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS.txt (example: gl-2012-06-25-235959.txt)

You were saying these were the file ext to delete. I could not find them, what I did find was in /mnt/sdcard/copilot/gpstracks, then there were about 10 files named like this Jun1312.gps , Jun2412.gps. Do I delete these or does copilot need these to function. Thanks for your help.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    BTW, I have es file explorer, that is how I found the files under copilot. But you said something about letting es file explorer have root priveldges, how do I know if I have that enabled or if not, how do I do that??

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry, to have so many questions, but I also have root explorer, I went under data/gps and it showed about 50 files that have this type of file gl-2012-06-12-051613.txt. Are these the files to delete??? Am I able to delete these through my pc?? For some reason when I hook up my pc, I cant find the data/gps folder. Just was wondering if there was a easier way to delete them as a whole instead of individually?? Thanks

Ads