• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RobKort
  • 2 Post By UltraDroid

Thread: ACER Bloatware

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ACER Bloatware

I am relatively new to the Iconia. I have not used half the apps on my A100 8GB model. I have read posts talking about bloatware that is preinstalled. I am rather orderly and it bothers me to have programs/apps on my machine that I don't know how to use or will never use. I prefer to have a smaller list of apps that I use. Then, if a need arises for something, I search for and install the best recommended app to suit that need.

Could you power users please help out us rookies and tell us what you consider is bloatware on the A100 and why?

I understand that this may be a personal preference issue, but go ahead and tell me if you would uninstall app "x" and "y" because you would rather use app "z" from android market.

Also, I see mention of using Titanium Back-up to remove bloatware. Can't I just tap the icon and uninstall it?

TIA
    Last edited by Tragg; 04-05-2012 at 06:06 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Bloatware are applications that come preinstalled on the tab from the manufacturer/carrier that you will probably never use. They are a pain because they can't just be removed in most cases. They are also using precious space that can be utilized for something else. You will have to root your tab if you want to remove them.

Titanium needs root access for you to be able to do anything with it, you should first get familiar with what is root on Android.

-end of line-

Welcome To AcerTabletForum

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    also, remember that we are due for that upgrade to 4.0 sometime soon and if you have anything frozen or deleted it can interfer with the update. probably best to ignore the bloatware until after the ota and in the meantime learn all you can about rooting.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks mamawm,

That sounds like good advice

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    After installing the upgrade to ICS, I rooted so I could uninstall the bloat with Titanium Backup. Some apps I were not able to uninstall with Titanium Backup (error message: cant remove system app, failed to locate the apk file) and the ones I did uninstall with TB they returned after reboot. Purchased Root Explorer and deleted the APK's for the unwanted files from flexrom/app and system/app. I did not remove AcerNidus, but everything else is gone..Social Jogger, Facebook Web, Email, Docs2Go, Aupeo, ClearFi, etc.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Is better to freeze and hide than delete. Or at least back em up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    UltraDroid likes this.

Welcome To AcerTabletForum

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Missus, it is a *real* roll of the dice to just charge in and start deleting apps from your device. Things that you consider to be bloatware may interact with a different app which is necessary to boot your machine. As RobKort said in the prior post, it's much better to freeze the apps with Titanium Backup, so they're physically present on your machine but deactivated. That way, if it turns out you need them, they're still there, and you only have to thaw them out.

I realize it's a pain, but just be *very* careful about throwing apps off your device. It can come back and bite you, BIG Time.
    mamawm and RobKort like this.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for AcerTabletForum.com

Ads