• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By velvetkitten

Thread: Cracked Screen?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Cracked Screen?

I bought my acer a100 a little over a month ago, it's been fine until last night I looked at it. Screen cracked. No sign of a scratch on the screen protector. It was sitting on a pillow for almost 24hrs. I set it down the night after I finished using it only to pick up cracked. Nothing nearbly to have fallen on it, no crack before, I didn't step, sit on it or anything. Acer said they would be happy to fix it...for $100..which I might consider paying had I actually broken it which I didn't so why would I pay if they are going to install another crap-screen? I read somewhere that this also happened to someone else and screen cracking is not unheard of for acer laptops and is common apparently.

The screen still works and there appears to be no dead pixels. I can probably find someone to fix it pending they can find the screen. Has anyone else had this happen? Also since it still works should it still live for awhile with a cracked screen or is it different from having a cell phone with a cracked screen?
    rockerbox likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I forgot to mention it's only a single crack on the upper left of the screen than spans almost the whole screen. It wasn't in it's case when I had it last but usually I kept it in a nook neoprene case.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    I'd say send it to Acer for repair.

Sent from my MB860 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Welcome To AcerTabletForum

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Velvet Kitten

I have just discovered my screen is cracked - it was in my bag encased in the Acer leather hard case with no signs of anything hitting it, and like you, the actual screen shows no damage at all. I was wondering what if anything you have done? It's six months old.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've heard of this happening to several people who own tablets, I recently read that a person who owned a Toshiba Thrive for a little bit of time put very little pressure on the left corner of the screen and it cracked. I think it sucks, but a cracked screen isn't covered by a standard warranty. Its accidental damage and unless you have an extended warranty with accidental damage, no manufacturer including Acer are going to replace it for free. If Acer is willing to put a 90-120 day warranty on the repair work of replacing the screen, then I would go ahead and pay the $100. Or you can keep it and use it with the crack for now and replace it later. Sorry.

One question: Are they charging you for shipping or are they paying shipping both ways?

And for the record, no, I don't work for any manufacturer, I'm actually unemployed at the current moment.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was walking past a new Chrysler mini van one day when the rear window exploded in my face. The owner was just coming out of a store when it happened and her first thought was that I'd done it, probably because I hit the dirt so fast it looked like I was hiding. My first thought? well, this was when the DC sniper thing was happening. Turned out to be a 'not uncommon' factory defect in that particular model. Thanks for your post as I'm currently looking for a new laptop

Cheers

Ads