• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Charging the Iconia A100 - through USB???

Here's a question that is so simple, there's got to be a simple answer ... or maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious:

The A100 has a dedicated charger, with a proprietary plug / pin ... by this, I mean it doesn't have the same, universal Micro USB charger plug that almost every other phone and device has. Sooooo ...

When I hook this up to my desktop or laptop, using a micro USB cable, is it then charging?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The A500 does NOT charge through the USB port, so my guess is the A100 doesn't either.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hello'

the charging need 12 volts, the USB supplied only something like 5 volts,

so I quite sure it is impossible to charge via USB.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by buech View Post
    ... the charging need 12 volts, the USB supplied only something like 5 volts, ... so I quite sure it is impossible to charge via USB.
    That's not a problem. All it takes is a DC-DC voltage converter to go from 5 to 12 volts. The only drawback is the current output will be limited, but that's not a problem either because it would only be a trickle charge.

In short, it is indeed possible. There's no engineering reason not to support trickle charging over USB. It's just a corner Acer cut to keep the cost down. Think of it as one of the reasons they make a tablet having better capability & performance than the iPad for about half the price.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    mrc01, are you sure this dc to dc converter will work? have you done it? thats 1 thing i didnt even think about when i bought the a100. who wants to carry a big ol charger cord with them everywhere? if the dc to dc thing works, do you have a link to somewhere that you can buy one?

thanks for any info.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Before doing that charging to 12v thing, check this out first

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    wow thats good info to know cuz i was going to do that next week while driving to another state for Christmas !! i wonder if we can use the wall charger provided and plug it into on of those car cigarette plug in adapters that has the plug in part on it for a wall charger....does any of that make sense??

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I can confirm, plugging the "wall-wart" for the iconia 500 into an automotive inverter will work, I would guess that the a100 would be the same if using its own wall wart, plugged into the inverter. The wall wart sees 120V from the inverter and spits out the required voltage to the tablet. It doesn't really care where the initial voltage came from.

But, according to my a500's wall-wart the a500 is suited to be charged at 12v 1.5A according to the sticker. What does the sticker on the a100's wall-wart say?

(Wall wart is a layman's term to describe the AC->DC step-down inverter. Its the black plug thing that hangs off the wall and plugs into your iconia to charge.)

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    haha..nice verbage there Howard !! ill have to check the yellow sticker tonight and post.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Worth repeating: Do NOT attempt to charge your Acer tablet through the USB port. Good chance it will fry your innards. That said, I'm wondering if it would be possible to find a USB to (the appropriate size plug to match the A100 pin) and use that both in car chargers as well as home chargers. My guess is that it should be possible. I use USB chargers interchangeably for virtually everything I have. Have yet to have a problem.

Anyone tried this yet??

Ads