• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A100 Camera connectivity kit?

i just got the a100. in just about every way this is my dream tablet....battery could be a little better and the one bad angle on the screen is kind of weird...but there's one real thing that i just can't live without.
    i need to be able to hook up a card reader so that i can view my photos on the tablet while i'm out at a shoot. what's the word about the potential to unlock USB Host ability, or will we get a camera connectivity kit like some other tablets?
    i need to figure this out before my 14 days return policy is up.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello, I was interested in this same question (although for different reasons), and I think I have some information that might help.

First, read this thread: A100 USB: master, slave or both?

With that information in mind, if you get an adapter/cable (Original Micro USB male to USB female Host OTG Cable | eBay or Micro USB On-The-Go Host OTG Adapter (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme or OTG USB2.0 Female To Male MicroUSB phone PDA Connector | eBay), you should be able to hook up a card reader and other USB devices to your A100.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well, for $2, i'll give it a shot.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Included cable doesn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by TWO515TY View Post
    Hello, I was interested in this same question (although for different reasons), and I think I have some information that might help.

With that information in mind, if you get an adapter/cable (Original Micro USB male to USB female Host OTG Cable | eBay or Micro USB On-The-Go Host OTG Adapter (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme or OTG USB2.0 Female To Male MicroUSB phone PDA Connector | eBay), you should be able to hook up a card reader and other USB devices to your A100.
    The cable in the ebay ad looks pretty much like the one that came in the box with my A100. Are you saying the original cable won't connect a SD card reader to the tablet?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    the cable you get in the box has a full size male usb on one end. those adapters have a full size female usb...so anything you would plug in to your computer you'd be able to plug into the tablet. that still doesn't mean the tablet will recognize the thing, but i will atleast see if it will read a card reader....if the thing ever gets here. i have a pretty good feeling it's not going to though.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I see

Quote Originally Posted by xwingkiller View Post
    the cable you get in the box has a full size male usb on one end. those adapters have a full size female usb...so anything you would plug in to your computer you'd be able to plug into the tablet. that still doesn't mean the tablet will recognize the thing, but i will atleast see if it will read a card reader....if the thing ever gets here. i have a pretty good feeling it's not going to though.
    I checked that when I got home yesterday and see what you mean. I can transfer photos to and from my notebook computer using the cable but I'm going to try to get a micro usb adapter for the sd card reader. Funny, when I started looking for a tab, my only requirements were hdmi out and sd slot. Failed on both but a special cable for hdmi works and hopefully, an adapter for the card reader will also work.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Reading photos from an SD card

Quote Originally Posted by TWO515TY View Post

I read the thread you referred to and it seems to infer that plugging an adapter in will not work. I went down to the local electronics store with my A100 and an sd card reader with a card in it. He set me up with a micro to mini to usb adapter and the tab did not recognize it.

I went to the Best Buy and the kid there (looked like an Apple guy to me) said Android devices aren't really set up to read files other than from a computer. He said putting the photo files on a computer then transferring them to the tab is the only way to go.

One of the reasons I bought this thing was so that when I'm travelling, I could shoot pictures and then send them to Picasa or directly to people before I get home. Don't want to sit in the computer kiosk in Phnom Penh again, you see. There must be a way to put my pics straight on the A100.

Anybody?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I haven't played with the A100, I got the A500 which has no problem at all with this task. (so much for "android can't do that"... coming from an apple guy that's rich by the way, the iPad can do even less)

I do however have experience with my old Nokia N810, and with an HP Jornada before that, both of them had micro-USB, slave ports but no host port, the interesting thing was that with the appropriate adapter cable, in both cases they could act as hosts. The trick is finding the proper cable, apparently it transposes 2 pins to make the difference between slave and host.

Now there is no guarantee that it will work with such an adapter, but it seems like a possibility.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    after i get my adapter, i'll let you know what happens.
    if it doesn't work, then we will have to wait for a camera connectivity kit (like a lot of other tablets)....or wait for some rom/kernel developer to figure it out for us. =)

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xwingkiller View Post
    after i get my adapter, i'll let you know what happens.
    if it doesn't work, then we will have to wait for a camera connectivity kit (like a lot of other tablets)....or wait for some rom/kernel developer to figure it out for us. =)
    I ordered the otg adapter today but then I thought of something: I don't see anywhere on the tab where it says "external drive" or something like that. So how would one move pictures from the reader to the tablet?
    Tom

Nevermind! I had to go back to Fry's to return the wrong hdmi cable the guy sold me with the A100. While there, I asked about the photos to tablet problem. They sold me a 4gb micro card with micro to SD adapter for $5. Put the whole rig in the camera, pop a few pictures, took it out, remove the micro sd card from adapter, put micro card in it's slot in tablet, et voila! Not a perfect solution if I already had a card in the tablet but it's not bad. Doesn't seem to be any difference in the quality of pics on the micro sd card v. the regular sd. Just one more little thing to load in the bag.
    And the gps worked on the way over there so that's fun. I'm feeling a lot better about the little rig now.
    Tom
    Last edited by saxophool; 09-18-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links