• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

GPS Navigation for Acer Iconia A500 ? Ups and Downs

With bunch of GPS software on the market for android os, there seems to be none really working for Acer A500 10" tablet.

I personally tried bunch of GPS software with my rooted android 3.1 Acer Iconia A500 tablet;
    - Sygic Aura: Shuts down immidiately after splash and back to home.
    - Igo : Looks a lot like a small dust in a big screen. Resolution problem arises and can not be fixed.
    - NDrive: doesnt even start up.

Looks like Google geocaching is the best solution for now but are you sure you will be able to access internet on top of a mountain ! and stop, connect , cache again!!!

If anyone has a success story with a fullscreen, good navigation alternative for Iconia A500, its time for you to share your knowledge.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had very good luck with Google Maps and Gaia GPS. I have used them in western US, France, Spain, England, and most recently in western Turkey. Worked great. Have not tried any of the apps you list.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sygic Aura the newest version works the best for honeycomb. i think V3 or something the other versions dont work or not well. whatever is the newest version download that. remember to turn off click sounds for keyboard before you start the app. Sygic doesn't crash for me, it goes full screen, works awesome and locates within 1-2 seconds. the best by far better than google maps

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Sygic still shows not compatible, therefore preventing install.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Copilot Premium, works fine on my A500.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Google maps works beautifully on the WiFi A500, and uses the built-in GPS.
    If you get directions while on WiFi, it automatically caches the details so it works off-line during travel.
    Google Maps also lets you permanently pre-cache any number of map areas so they are always in memory.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The problem with Google Maps is that you have to have a wifi connection to get started, so that requires planning ahead.

I have an Archos 70 Internet Tablet right now and I use Sygic. All of the maps and POIs are offline and you don't need a net connection at all. I plan on using the same app for this, assuming it works. People have confirmed that it works with the A500, so I hope it works with this as well. People said that they had to disable keyboard feedback to prevent this app from crashing.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    The problem with Google Maps is that you have to have a wifi connection to get started, so that requires planning ahead.
    True, but only the very first time you run it. While on WiFi, cache map areas you will use. You do this by dropping a pin anywhere in the area you want. Pull up properties for the pin and one of the options is to cache the map area containing that pin. The area is usually 10 square miles and you can select as many as you want. The caching is "permanent" - not just for a particular session or route. Once cached, these areas become available whether or not you're online.

That said, when my A100 arrives I'll try out Sygic and compare with Maps, as I'm sure you and others here are doing. If Sygic works offline, it must be doing the same thing - caching detailed map areas in memory.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hello,

twonav from compe gps work fine on a100.
    it's allowed on road and offroad use.

there is a trial version on market

Ads