• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrhelper

Thread: Need to root using bootloader

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Need to root using bootloader

Have been using my A100 for about a year after unbricking it after getting it back from the repair depot. Wasn't going to send it back in. That was just load the file to the sdcard and do the reboot no problem.

Skip a year forwards and the adverts are getting more than annoying and the constant updates have slowed using the web to a absolute crawl. This used to be snappier than my laptop when I opened webpages.

So I've been looking for a root method than doesn't involve using the USB as guess what they destroyed the pins at the repair depot. So I need to find a way to do this using the sdcard. I had rooted it before using this
    but cannot find the threads or files. I keep running across the easy way from NullZero but without usb I can't do it.

Can any kind soul nudge me towards a solution?

TNX

W

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I am not aware of such an option for stock ICS. USB and adb are required for all of the methods that I have seen for ICS on the Iconia.

I am not sure that I follow your reasoning though for how you believe that rooting would help. I have a few a500s and an a100, and all are still as fast as they ever were. If your tablet is running slower than in the past, you may need to clean house a bit. If it's merely browsing that is slow, then maybe some changes to browser settings, or use of different browsers may help. There are a number of things that can affect browsing performance, including:
    * change in web sites, pages
    * the bowser being used
    * the browser settings (one improvement is to use flash only on demand, not automatically)
    * the number of browser tabs open at any given time
    * network performance as affected by: distance from the wifi source, wifi or Bluetooth interference, router issues, ISP issues, etc.
    * running with both wifi and Bluetooth radios on
    * the Acer Iconia ICS sensor bug, which causes error messages to stream into the system log at a rate of 20 per second (not all tablets are affected, but many are)
    * the Acer Iconia ICS GPS receiver diagnostic log leak that accumulates files under /data/gps and invisibly wastes storage space
    * having too many apps installed, especially where certain apps use excess CPU while running in the background
    * having too much data in your /sdcard folder (avoid using more than 75% of the total available space, or the filesystem becomes less efficient)
    * problems such as errors and fragmentation in the /sdcard filesystem (a factory data reset will clear this by recreating the filesystem as new)

The last four items listed above seem to occur inevitably over time, and a factory data reset can mitigate the effects significantly by restoring the device to a fresh new state.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Its not just browsing but that is the one with the biggest hit in performance. Even with no tabs open it is very slow almost to the point of unusable. I've tried alternate browsers and they suffer from the same malaise.

One of the reasons I wanted to root was to be able to actually stop things from auto-startup. While I use the apps occasionally or rarely I don't need them running in the background. I think my biggest peeve about not being rooted is all the non stop adverts. Killing those does wonders for the bandwith and for some reason are not missed ;-]

Looking at your list I see a few things I have never heard of before so will check them out. I don't use bluetooth and even sitting next to the router does little to improve the speed. Can you tell me any more about the sensor bug and the gps leak?
    I'm less than 50% full internally and mainly use my external 32gb which has several gigas to go.

The method to root was the update file placed in the root of the sdcard and then the factory reset was done. That forces the os to load the update file and gives root. It was a bit more involved than the other methods but worked just fine. Unfortunately that was a while ago and now all I find are dead links to it. It does work on ICS. When mine updated from 3 to 4 I played with it for about 4-5 hours then rooted it. I've been backing things up for doing root but if nothing else will have to try a reset first.

TNX

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The GPS issue is mentioned here. About the way you want to perform the rooting, you could probably try posting here on XDA Developer's forums and hope Pio Masaki replies. He's done a lot of work on the A100 and is probably one of the more knowledgeable persons when it comes to this tablet. If it's something to do with the A100, he probably heard about it.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wragie View Post
    One of the reasons I wanted to root was to be able to actually stop things from auto-startup. While I use the apps occasionally or rarely I don't need them running in the background.
    You don't need root for that. Just go into Settings > apps, and disable anything that you don't want to run. I disable a significant number of the built in apps on all of my Android devices. Just keep in mind that disabling certain apps will cause loss of functionality, and even seemingly unrelated apps will just exit during attempted access to some feature of an app that you disabled.

I think my biggest peeve about not being rooted is all the non stop adverts. Killing those does wonders for the bandwith and for some reason are not missed ;-]
    Keep in mind that those ads pay the developers and web service providers so you don't have to pay significant fees. You can get rid of numerous ads on many Android apps by merely paying for the premium versions. It's a myth that ads in general affect network performance. The amount of data in ads is trivial compared to other content. That is especially true for the tiny banner ads pushed to Android apps.

I actually take some comfort in the knowledge that whenever I see one of those ads come up in an app or service that I like, one of the people who provided the service gets paid. I think that it is fair and reasonable to tip waiters and waitresses also. ...just some food for thought...
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-27-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    bilderberg likes this.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Not too long before my A100 died for the second time, performance degraded quite a bit and then it happened ...again. If I were you I'd make sure you have anything you don't want to lose backed up.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links