• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problem with Wi-fi after update?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Problem with Wi-fi after update?

Yesterday I got the pre-ICS update, and today ICS. But ever since yesterday's update (or maybe the timing is a coincidence - I can't be sure), the only successful Wi-Fi connection was the second update (the one for ICS itself - apparently it's better at downloading updates? I wasn't even trying to get it - it just told me it needed to update). All other times I've tried to connect to my home Wi-Fi router, it just keeps saying that it's "obtaining IP address". When I touch for more details, it says the signal is "poor" - even holding the tablet right next to the router! I don't think the problem is the router - my husband is having no trouble with his notebook PC.

Has anyone else has recent trouble with their Wi-Fi? Is there something I can do to reinitialize it or something?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Have you tried deleting and re adding the access point?

-end of line-
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that twice, and it did the same thing both times: After deleting the access point, it would reappear with signal strength "Excellent". I would type in the key, and it would try to connect, saying "Obtaining IP address..." while still showing all or almost all bars of signal strength. After 30 seconds it would appear to refresh its display or something (for a brief instant it would say, "Saved [something...I can't read the rest - it's too fast]") and then go back to saying "Obtaining IP address..." but with only one bar of signal ("Poor"). Every 30 seconds it'll show that "Saved..." message briefly and go back to "Obtaining IP address..." with one bar.

After a few minutes of that, if the device stays on, it will change to saying "Avoided poor internet connection" for that access point, but curiously, when it says that, the signal strength will show Excellent again! But when I ask it to re-connect (or if the tablet goes to sleep and I wake it up), it will go back to "Obtaining IP address with a weak signal indicator. Any clues?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I would try with another router if available or without the security settings just to rule that out. You can also try and reset the router and see if that helps.
    OsakaWebbie likes this.
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Set your router to assign a static ip address to your tablet, or modify the wireless network settings on the tablet and change to a static ip. I've had this problem on my phone and tablet, a Google search revealed it's a issue with Android.

To assign a static ip address to your tablet from your Router, you will need to log in to your routers configuration page from a computer on your network.
    To assign a static ip address to the tablet from your tablet, long press the name of the wireless network. Select modify network, check the box that says show advanced options, change IP settings to static from DHCP. Save.

You shouldnt have this issue anymore.

As suggested by RobKort, rebooting your router should fix the problem, but it may happen again. If you are not comfortable with changing router configuration settings, reboot it.
    Last edited by Missus; 06-05-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    bilderberg and OsakaWebbie like this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    The static IP address method has apparently resolved a number of router DHCP issues on Honeycomb and earlier versions of Android, and may even help with this a little, but I have not yet heard of the DHCP issue caused by a few router models having compatibility issues with Android in general as being isolated to ICS. You noted that it worked OK before the ICS update. It seems likely that you would still have some form of connectivity issue after you configured a static IP address, and may only mask the problem slightly. As far as I know, static IP addresses should not be needed on ICS for users who did not have the same problem on Honeycomb.

There have been a number of issues with wifi that occurred for users after the update to ICS, and many were resolved by doing the factory data reset (Under Settings-->Backup & reset). If you have not done this yet after the ICS update, I would certainly try this first before going through the trouble of setting up a static IP address. This also tends to resolve other app issues that you may eventually encounter.

Another problem that a few folks are encountering is apparent interference between wifi and bluetooth. If you have bluetooth turned on when this is happening, consider testing with that off. I have not seen any proof that the BT interference issue is associated with ICS, but you noted that this problem could be coincidental.

It seems possible that the factory data reset will clear this up though.

Do you know whether or not your router has had a recent firmware udpate that might have contributed to this?

One more thing I thought of is that it sounds like your tablet is searching for open networks. If you have a number of other networks in close proximity, you may benefit by disabling the option to notify of open networks (Settings-->Wifi, select the Advanced menu item and uncheck Network Notification).
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-05-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    bilderberg and OsakaWebbie like this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Great info, everyone. I started with the easiest things, and I'll work my way up to the harder ones. All are doable - I'm not afraid of my router settings (except that it takes a little time to read the Japanese instructions!), and I know what a static IP is. That's probably a good idea long term - even when everything is working, that will give me a faster connection.

The first thing I did is reset the router, and that did give me a connection with "Good" signal (for now, that is - I don't trust it long term, because as I said, it did connect enough to get the ICS update, so it wasn't totally dead).

I'm not using Bluetooth, so that's not an issue.

Mrhelper mentioned turning off the network scanning - I would like to do that (I suspect it uses some of the power that is so precious to us Acer users!), but I can't figure out how to do that. Settings-->Wi-Fi no problem, but I can't find an Advanced menu from there.

As for the Factory Data Reset, it says that it will erase all data on the tablet! That doesn't sound like something one would do casually. Am I not understanding something?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    You are correct, Factory Data Reset is pretty much if ALL ELSE FAILS.

There are ways of backing up your tablet so you do not lose data if you decide you need to go this route.

Hopefully, it is not necessary.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene. - Homer Jay Simpson

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OsakaWebbie View Post
    Mrhelper mentioned turning off the network scanning - I would like to do that (I suspect it uses some of the power that is so precious to us Acer users!), but I can't figure out how to do that. Settings-->Wi-Fi no problem, but I can't find an Advanced menu from there.
    Go to settings > wifi > then click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right. Whenever you see those dots it will open and advanced menu in what ever settings page you are on.
    ASK For Help In The Rescue Squad Forum ______
    Guide HOW TO: Perform A Factory Reset
    [ROM] A100 Stock ICS firmware
    Acer Support Website

Acer A100 -- CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    LG Nexus4 - ASOPA Kit Kat 4.4 -- LTE enabled
    i7 920 @4.2ghz - Evga X58 Classy - 8gb GSkill DDR3-1600 - HD6950 2gb @1ghz -1tb WD - Win7 Pro 64

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I wish I knew Android well enough to know when stuff is going okay and when it isn't, but I have barely begun to learn even basic use of this OS (it's not much like Windows or Linux, my two comfort zones). Apparently a lot of people backed up and cleaned their devices to prepare for ICS, but I didn't even know it was coming until I got a really long update and suddenly my tablet looked different. Then I got on the internet to learn what had happened.

Now that I have internet connectivity, I have 9 things that want to update themselves. The first in line is something I have never even heard of - AcerNidus Bug Report Service. It started downloading about 20 minutes ago, and still claims to be downloading. I don't know when I should stop believing it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links