• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problem with Wi-fi after update?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh, thanks, bilderberg - I didn't see your post until after I posted.

I gave up on the Bug Report Service ever finishing its download, tried in vain one more time (waited only 2 or 3 minutes the second time), and now I'm trying the next thing in line, Adobe Flash Player. But it also is downloading a long time. Should I be worried that something is still wrong with my connectivity? If so, how can I check its status?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    It may depend on your internet speed, but keep in mind that Android apps are very small compared to Windows applications. Each should typically download in only seconds. The Flash player is only about 4MB, and that should not take minutes to download. You seem to be encountering a performance problem with your network or your tablet network interface. You could try downloading some files from other sites to see if that works better. It is possible that some Google servers could be having a temporary problem, but if you never noticed that before, that seems unlikely.

Have you verified for certain that the ICS update was applied? If it has, then Settings-->About should show Android version of 4.0.3. If it shows 3.2.1, then you may still be trying to download that. From what you have described, it seems than you already have ICS, but I just want to be thorough.

It seems that you may be getting to the factory data reset soon. It's not that big of a deal if you backup your data first, and it is very prudent to do that anyway for any important files. If you have not done a factory data reset yet since the ICS upgrade, it may be worthwhile for several reasons. It wipes the user data, removes any apps (and problems) you have installed, but leaves the system and all system updates intact. It will stay on ICS. It's very easy, very fast, and it leaves you with the equivalent of a brand new tablet to set up... which I actually find to be therapeutic in a way, for both myself and the tablet. I've tested it nearly a half dozen times while working on problems for myself and others over the past month, and I see it as a very handy tool. ( [HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset -- you would only need to use method 1).
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-06-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've never understood the reason, but inserting an SD card in my A100 sometimes causes wifi to act similar to your case. Extract the SD card, then wifi is OK ... put the card back, then perhaps wifi continuously tries to connect ... eventually, after several insert/extract/insert attempts, wifi eventually works OK with the card inserted. Perhaps if the card's contacts are not properly made then there is interference with wifi? Probably this is not the solution in your case but if I had a similar wifi problem again the first (and easiest if not the most logical) thing I'd try is remove the SD card and check wifi again with the card removed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Each should typically download in only seconds.
    That's what I expected also.

Have you verified for certain that the ICS update was applied?
    Oh, most definitely. I actually had no idea a big update was coming until it happened, and then when I looked at my tablet and saw the interface looking dramatically different (starting with the new lock screen, which I don't like - I want to swipe in any direction!), I looked up the version number (4.0.3) and got on the internet to figure out what I had - I then learned the term "Ice Cream Sandwich" and am coping. I had just started to get to where I knew how to do a few things in the previous version, and now it's different again... I don't use my tablet that much, really - for me it's mostly an e-reader and mobile browser so far, but I have installed several apps, some of them purchased.

It's very easy, very fast...
    Really? It sounds like an arduous task to find and re-install the apps, arrange your most-used icons on your home screen, etc. I don't know if I remember where I got the apps I have (if I remember right, one or two of them were not from the normal market, probably the ones related to Japanese Bibles).

it leaves you with the equivalent of a brand new tablet to set up... which I actually find to be therapeutic in a way
    You've got to be kidding - the thought of having to figure out how to set it up all over again fills me with dread...

I came back from a day of doing other things to find my tablet powered down instead of asleep - I didn't think I had drained the battery that low, but maybe so. Anyway, when I turned it on after charging it, the Flash update download that I had left (just because I got pulled away to other tasks) immediately resumed, and completed in seconds. So something that was stuck got unstuck. I don't know where to find the 13 other updates that were waiting in line last time I saw them, but I assume that they will request my attention again when they feel like it. There's nothing next to the clock at the moment (that's where the "There are updates waiting" message was before). As you can tell, I'm not very good with Android yet...

@pelican: I'll keep in mind your experience with the SD card. From several of you, I am now armed with a number of things I can try the next time it gives me trouble. Thanks to all!

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I've noticed since last week's ICS update (AV041_A100_1.037.00_WW_GEN1) my tablet takes longer to obtain an IP address.
    Back with Honeycomb, I used the static ID to solve my wifi problems, but since the original ICS, wifi has worked very well with DHCP.
    It still works fine, except for the extra time to obtain the IP address when re-connecting to my network. So I believe something in this update changed some underlying function of the wifi.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Really? It sounds like an arduous task to find and re-install the apps, arrange your most-used icons on your home screen, etc. I don't know if I remember where I got the apps I have (if I remember right, one or two of them were not from the normal market, probably the ones related to Japanese Bibles).
    You may want to try ES File Explorer regardless of whether or not you ever have to wipe the tablet. It's always a sound practice to have backups of files that want to keep. ES File Explorer has a very handy feature that you can use to backup the .apk (app package) files for apps you have installed. It even has a feature to backup apps/updates automatically upon install. You can then copy these backups onto a flash stick, or to your PC. I use it to remember the apps that I have installed, independent of the Google Play Store, and I also find that apps install much faster upon restore because I don't have to first wait for the download or click through all of the store menus. Another popular app having a similar app backup feature is Astro File Manager. I prefer ES File Manager though because it is a bit smaller, and has more of the features I use, like mapping Windows network shares for copying files over wifi to media devices or PCs.

You've got to be kidding - the thought of having to figure out how to set it up all over again fills me with dread...
    I understand. It probably sounds a little silly on the surface, and it's certainly a matter of personal preference. I like to clear everything and start over every once in a while (on the tablet anyway, but not on a Windows PC though, because that can take days or even weeks). For me it's kind of liberating.

I came back from a day of doing other things to find my tablet powered down instead of asleep - I didn't think I had drained the battery that low, but maybe so. Anyway, when I turned it on after charging it, the Flash update download that I had left (just because I got pulled away to other tasks) immediately resumed, and completed in seconds. So something that was stuck got unstuck. I don't know where to find the 13 other updates that were waiting in line last time I saw them, but I assume that they will request my attention again when they feel like it. There's nothing next to the clock at the moment (that's where the "There are updates waiting" message was before). As you can tell, I'm not very good with Android yet...
    It's great to hear that you have your tablet working the way you like it again! Maybe it was just tired and needed a nap.

To manually check for updates to your software, open Play Store, and press the third soft button from the top right of the screen. It's a "download" button that looks like an arrow pointing down at a line. In that screen will be a frame on the left hand side that contains a list of your installed apps, with all of the available updates filtered to the top.

I really hope that your network problems are resolved now, and if you find yourself in need of help again, please ask.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    bilderberg likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links