• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dmtchico

Thread: This Car Adapter does not work (verified)

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

This Car Adapter does not work (verified)

Hello.

Just thought I'd share this info.
    I purchased this car adapter off of eBay a few weeks ago and I finally found out why it does not work with the ACER A100 (as it is described to do).

This adapter does not regulate the output voltage.
    It puts out whatever the car puts out, which is more that 13 volts with the engine running on my 2009 FORD F150.
    When the engine is not running, the car cig plug puts out less than 13 volts and then this adapter does work with the ACER A100. But, since 99.99% of the time I want to use it when the engine is running, this adapter is of no use to me.

I used a voltage meter to perform my tests and verified the voltage outputs when the adapter works and when it does not.

Another car adapter that I have DOES regulate the output voltage to below 13 volts and it works perfectly with my ACER A100.

SO, I'm just saying, don't expect this particular DC Car adapter to work with the ACER A100.

This Cig Adaper does not work.JPG

I hope this picture attachment works.
    I previewed this post and it looked OK.
    bilderberg likes this.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Open a dispute and they will refund you. Thank god for ebay buyer protection!

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2
    Woe to those poor souls that know neither victory nor defeat, those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight. -Theodore Roosevelt

Moral: Nothing ventured in life, nothing gained!

Acer Iconia A500

Twitter - #LordZilo

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The eBay seller replied to my last message, in which I described the problem again and left negative feedback.

They said that they are sending me a replacement unit and asked that I retract the negative feedback.

I replied that if the replacement unit actually does perform correctly then I will 'believe' that the original one was merely a single defective unit and that I would retract any and all negative feedback/posts about the product.

I told them that I have already purchased a different DC car adapter from a different seller, and that it works good with my ACER A100.

I'm a Show Me guy (with a multimeter), so I will wait and see and report.
    I just don't want ACER A100 owners like myself to get stuck with falsely described accessories for it.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    For a couple bucks more, go to your local Walmart and pick this up...
    Walmart.com: PowerLine 2000 mAh Car Cord Adapter: Computers

Had this for 3 months and use it for my phone, my A100 and the kids DVD player. Works like a charm, though the pin that fits the acer is a bit loose.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmtchico View Post
    The eBay seller replied to my last message, in which I described the problem again and left negative feedback.

They said that they are sending me a replacement unit and asked that I retract the negative feedback.

I replied that if the replacement unit actually does perform correctly then I will 'believe' that the original one was merely a single defective unit and that I would retract any and all negative feedback/posts about the product.

I told them that I have already purchased a different DC car adapter from a different seller, and that it works good with my ACER A100.

I'm a Show Me guy (with a multimeter), so I will wait and see and report.
    I just don't want ACER A100 owners like myself to get stuck with falsely described accessories for it.

I just received the replacement dc adapter and, as I suspected, it does not work either, just like the first one.

The car adapter does not regulate it's output to be less than 13.? volts.
    Thus, the ACER A100 protects itself, by switching off it's internal charging circuits.
    This can be seen, by watching the 'Battery Menu' of the ACER when the car is not running,
    and when it is started. I also, checked the car socket voltage output and the adapter's
    output voltage and say no regulation of the adapter's output voltage.
    A different dc adapter that I bought DOES regulate the output voltage and works perfectly with the A100.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying this dc adapter for use with their ACER A100.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hiya,

Can you post a link to the car charger model that does work?

Thanks for your consideration.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbilld View Post
    Hiya,

Can you post a link to the car charger model that does work?

Thanks for your consideration.
    I bought this one,
    Car Charger Power DC Adapter for Acer ICONIA TAB A200 A100 A501 A500 Android OS 847516000205 | eBay

But I wouldn't hesitate to also try this one,
    Car Charger Power DC Adapter for Acer Iconia Tab A200 A100 A501 A500 Android OS 886489330544 | eBay

Plus, Photopaul up above, found an interesting one at Walmart. At least with Walmart, you can try it, and if you don't like it, you can easily take it back.

good luck

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the quick reply. I intend to order a car charger this week and I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Bill

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by photopaul View Post
    For a couple bucks more, go to your local Walmart and pick this up...
    Walmart.com: PowerLine 2000 mAh Car Cord Adapter: Computers
    Got one of those too. It's a bit bulky, but has an advantage of a USB charger for a second device, so I can have my A100 and phone charging at the same time.
    In other posts, I've noted how very slightly crimping the "G" adapter provides a tighter fit so it doesn't fall out.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    You need a car adapter that regulates the output voltage to 12 Volts and can deliver 2 amps of current. I found one at Radio Shack. With the voltage regulation and high current capability it wasn't cheap, but it's worked flawlessly for months in several cars.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links