• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MRC01

Thread: how to fix "android.process.media has stopped"

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times

how to fix "android.process.media has stopped"

After upgrading to ICS, this error message pops up 1-3 times over the first few minutes after each boot, and periodically afterwards.
    After some research I found there is 1, possibly 2 apps/services responsible for this error. I disabled both of them and the error has not returned. I've noticed no impact to disabling these services, though they are easy to re-enable if side effects appear.
    The services are "Media Storage" and "DRM Protected Content Storage".
    In ICS, you can disable them (or any other app/service) by:
    1. Go to System-Apps-All
    2. Scroll to the app in the list, click "Disable"

If you have Titanium Backup and are rooted, you can use Titanium Backup to freeze them.

Then cold restart the tablet. The errors no longer appear. Again, if you try this and it breaks something, you can easily re-enable these services.
    alphawave7 likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks MRC01,

That has been annoying me since I upgraded. It appears to have also solved another problem (my WiFi not automatically connecting when booting,) but I need to monitor to make sure I'm not imagining things.
    -----------------
    Wesley

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Interesting. I used to have this problem frequently with HC, but haven't seen it once since upgrading to ICS.

My solution on HC was:
    Settings --> Applications -->Manage Applications-->All--> Download Manager --> Clear Data/Cache

Disabling media storage seems like it would cause problems with your external SD card.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Disabling media storage seems like it would cause problems with your external SD card.
    Yeah, I thought the same. But no problems. I can play music and video and access files on the external SD just fine, no problems, and no more error messages. And it may help battery life - eliminating one more background process consuming CPU. Not sure what those processes do, but whatever it is, I don't need it. If I ever discover that I do need it, I can turn them back on.

Another process I'm thinking of disabling is "Mediaserver". From what I read, it scans the filesystem looking for pictures, video, etc. and providing a catalog for apps. I don't need that either. I know where my files are and tell the applications myself. I don't need the apps to "auto-discover" this data.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Today I found a feature that doesn't work with this "Mediastorage" disabled. It's the built-in screenshot. If you press the power button and volume down at the same time, ICS captures a screen shot. But if the "Mediastorage" service is disabled, you get an error saying "Couldn't capture screenshot. Storage may be in use."

Enable this service, then screenshot works. You don't need to restart.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

"Media Storage" and "DRM Protected Content Storage"

I disabled both these programs but then could not connect to my computer via usb. I tried to reenable them but now they are gone from the settings-apps-all list. What happened? I'm running ICS.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was able to find the disabled apps by sorting by size. They wouldn't appear in alphabetical order sort. Odd. The usb-PC connection is working again.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Strange, my USB connection worked fine with these services disabled. But I turned them back on anyway because
    1. I wanted screen shots to work.
    2. Freezing them, wiping their data, then defrosting them, solved the original problem: those intermittent error messages went away.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    After re-enabling Media Storage and DRM, I still get the "android.process.media has stopped" after restart but now only one message instead of two. Don't you love computers?

Ads