• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How to move from 3.2 to ICS on your A100

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times

How to move from 3.2 to ICS on your A100

NOTE: As of May 4th a number of people with Gen2 3.2 have reported that they are now getting the 3.2.1 update (a pre-requisite to upgrade to ICS) OTA.
    If this is the case for all Gen2 3.2 users hopefully the steps below will no longer be required!!

So, plug in your charger and go check for an update!

Got an A100?
    GEN2 and never got the 3.2.1 update and still stuck on 3.2?
    Want ICS?

The fix-it-yourself solution
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some sub-options w/in this but we'll focus on the more realistic one (but yes there are heaps of other options out there).

To get ICS on our A100 GEN2 3.2 we will want to 'downgrade' to a GEN1 ROM and then let THAT trigger an OTA update of ICS.

So far, the best instuctions I have are as follows:

What do you need?
    Your tablet.
    Charger.
    A freshly formatted FAT32 microSD card.

Steps:
    1) Download this update.zip package: http://ftp.bauernfeindiii.com/Misc_S...100/update.zip (this will get you to 3.2.1)
    (Thanks to member "tutungzone" for hosting this update file)

2) Place the downloaded file in the ROOT of your EXTERNAL microSD card and rename it update.zip (if needed).
    (Be sure that this is the correct file and that it's called update.zip. You may have had other files there or the extension name could be off. Double-check).

3) Turn OFF your tablet.
    Plug the tablet into your charger. During the installation process - keep your tablet in horizontal mode.
    Turn it back on and hold the left-most volume buttom and start holding in your power button as well.
    When the start-up screen appears let go of the power button - but keep your finger holding down the left volume button.
    Once you see the green Android guy - let go of the volume button as well.

4) After a while your tablet should re-boot by itself.

The update should now begin.
    Now wait.....5,10 minutes may be normal. If it goes up to 15+ minutes...you may have an issue.

5) Once completed your tablet should reboot itself.

If you installed an update, all of your Apps and data should still be there.
    You may experience some lag or force closes. If so, try a soft reset with the reset pin hole. You may want to try it more than once.
    If your problems persist try a Factory Reset using the Settings screen. This WILL wipe out the Apps and data on your tablet. It will not remove the update that you installed.

Important: Once the tablet has rebooted and you have confirmed the update - remove the file update.zip from your microSD card (Very Important!)

Go to settings and confirm that you are on 3.2.1 - then search for new updates. Voila... ICS ready to download.
    Done. You should now be able to get the OTA ICS update.

DISCLAIMER: Following these or any other instructions online may brick your tablet and/or void your warranty. Always use caution and educated yourself before attempting any of this.

Good luck to all in "Team Screwed" !
    Last edited by Darkbulb; 05-04-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    tutungzone likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can you post a video? I get really confused for the steps:

5. Place the rotation lock switch in the up position (so you see the red markings)
    8. Once the tablet vibrates, switch the rotation lock on and off repeatedly while still holding the Volume down button.
    9. Release the Volume down button and stop switching the rotation lock once the "Erasing Userdata..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen

I don't know how to perform these steps exactly.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Now I brick my device at Step 3). It can not turn on, and does not respond when I connect it to a PC by USB.

Any thought for a rescue?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yangxie View Post
    Now I brick my device at Step 3). It can not turn on, and does not respond when I connect it to a PC by USB.

I'm not well versed enough in trouble-shooting that. The "good" thing is that I hear it's almost impossible to permanently brick these devices.
    Try sending Obsidian here on these forums a PM. I'm pretty sure he can help out.

For anyone else, PLEASE do not attempt these steps unless you are very aware of how flashing ROMs work and can back out of any issues.
    They are still, as far as I know not 100% confirmed either so if anyone have other more secure steps please post here.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    These steps don't look right. Steps 4-11 are for a hard reset and should not be needed at this point.

Warning: You risk BRICKING YOUR DEVICE!!!!! Proceed cautiously. If you have strong doubts about doing this, don't do it. If you have no hesitation at all, maybe you should not do this. Just be aware, you are risking your device.

Recommended that you use a freshly FAT32 formatted SD card.

Download a file. Please research your file carefully so you know what you are installing.

Rename your file of choice "update". (If you rename it "update.zip" you may end up with "update.zip.zip" which will not work. Check your file extensions.)

(Note: I have not done this on an Acer Tab. The Volume buttons change with screen orientation. I need to check if the Volume button closest to the Power button is always "Up" when booting the device.)

Power tab off.

Plug in to charger. (Required fot OTA updates. May no be needed for manual install, but why chance it. Besides, you do not want your battery to die during this.)

Hold down Volume Up.

While holding Volume Up, press and hold Power button until startup screen begins.

Release Power button only, keep holding Volume Up.

When the "Boot" screen (should be Android guy) begins release Volume Up button.

The update should begin installing.

Wait patiently, this could take 5 to 10 minutes or more. (Seriously, let it be. If it takes more than 15 minutes you may have bricked your device.)

Your device should reboot when it is done.

If you installed an update, all of your Apps and data should still be there.
    You may experience some lag or force closes. If so, try a soft reset with the reset pin hole. You may want to try it more than once.
    If your problems persist try a Factory Reset using the Settings screen. This WILL wipe out the Apps and data on your tablet. It will not remove the update that you installed.
    Last edited by kernschatten; 04-27-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    SGS2E4GT, A500, Galaxy Player 5.0, A100, A200, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello New here!

Followed the steps and had the same issue with no response with my tablet. Followed the instructions, and when I got to step 3...poof. No power light no power on. Nothing. . .until I plugged the charger in and powered on. I got a black/blank screen with my clock and notification icons (wireless SD card) my navigation buttons, and a small icon/picture of gears in the upper left hand corner with the Word. Picked up with the hard reset steps and my Tablet came back with a Gen1 version. And it is now currently updating to ICS. In fact it is done and I will post a follow up with any issues, or concerns since upgrading. I hope this info helps, but I must stress that your mileage may vary.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yangxie View Post

Can't be. If you put it on the charger, does the charge light come on?

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hi I am a member of team screwed... I just called and was assured gen2 3.2 will be updated I DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!!! just saying

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Hello New here!

Followed the steps and had the same issue with no response with my tablet. Followed the instructions, and when I got to step 3...poof. No power light no power on. Nothing. . .until I plugged the charger in and powered on. I got a black/blank screen with my clock and notification icons (wireless SD card) my navigation buttons, and a small icon/picture of gears in the upper left hand corner with the Word. Picked up with the hard reset steps and my Tablet came back with a Gen1 version. And it is now currently updating to ICS. In fact it is done and I will post a follow up with any issues, or concerns since upgrading. I hope this info helps, but I must stress that your mileage may vary.
    See my post above. Power charge is required for OTA update. You have confirmed that it is required for manual as well.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This is what I got from chat....:
    Mano V: Hi, my name is Mano V. How may I help you?
    Sheryl Mason: hi there is some talk on the acer forum that those of us with Gen 2 3.2 OS will not be able to get the ICS update can you please tell me why thta was what made my buy this tablet
    Mano V: I understand that you wish to update the ICS.
    Mano V: I will do my best to help you.
    Sheryl Mason: yes
    Mano V: Okay.
    Mano V: I am checking the information to you.
    Mano V: May I place the chat on hold for 3 minutes while I check the information for you?
    Sheryl Mason: ok well someone talked to a tech 2 and they said we would have to send them in to acer to get the update
    Sheryl Mason: yes
    Mano V: Thank you.
    Mano V: Thank you for being on hold. I appreciate your patience.
    Sheryl Mason: no problem
    Mano V: May I know where are you from?
    Sheryl Mason: Maryland USA
    Mano V: ICS has been released today.
    Mano V: The update will be pop up in the tablet. Once you receive it, please update it.

Sheryl Mason: yes I know but the tablets what have the 3.2 operating system are not able to update. who have GEN2 we need to be at 3.2.1 to get the update and the tablets are only 3.2
    Mano V: Please enable the pop up setting in the tablet.
    Sheryl Mason: it is
    Sheryl Mason: we are not getting the pop up at all none of us
    Mano V: Good.
    Mano V: You will receive it soon, it will take some more time.
    Sheryl Mason: no we won't that is the problem on tech 2 toldsomeone that we would never get the update without being at 2.3.1
    Mano V: I am che cking the information.
    Mano V: * I am checking the information.
    Mano V: You wiil get the pop up do not worry.
    Sheryl Mason: when?
    Mano V: I am sorry, I am not sure with the accurate time.
    Sheryl Mason: everyone with Gen1 and gen2.3.1 have it allready
    Mano V: If you wish, I will provide the manual link to update.
    Sheryl Mason: yes please
    Mano V: Okay, no issue.
    Mano V: Here is the link: Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I perform updates to the Android Operating System on my Acer tablet?
    Sheryl Mason: thank you I will try that now
    Mano V: Sheryl, to conclude we have provided the possible information and this should help you fix the issue. If there are no additional questions on this topic, I will close the chat session.

Sheryl Mason: yes thank you
    Mano V: Thank you for contacting Acer support. Have a great day.
    Mano V has disconnected.
    I scream you scream we all scream for ICE CREAM!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads