These are great, clearly written steps. I'll adjust my instructions above to reflect them.
Originally Posted by kernschatten
I did include a hard-reset as well as I read on xda that some users had to go through it in order to get a new ROM working but I can take it out.
04-27-2012 04:55 PM
I've done this myself and it worked, but I don't recall which volume button was "up" or "down".
Was it the volume button closer to the rotation lock, or further?
If held vertically it is closest to the lock, horizontally it is furthest from the lock.
I followed the directions, but would get the Android guy with the "x" through him.
My tab wasn't bricked though. I could just shut it down with the power button and reboot to where it was before.
Then I went through and figured out there is a significant step missing.
The file I downloaded was named: SD_Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_full_user.7z
Renaming that to "update.zip" was where things got screwed up.
Instead I OPENED that file with an extractor.
(I'm on a Mac and used one called BetterZip.
It showed me a folder called "SD_Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_full_user" and within THAT folder was a filed named "update.zip"
I extracted that and put the extracted update.zip (no renaming) onto the MicroSD and proceeded with the instructions.
It took several minutes (I don't know how long, I lose patience watching so I walked away and did something else) but rebooted into Gen1 and 3.2.1.
Then I looked for an update and, Voila!, ICS is waiting.
That is now installing OTA as I write this.
And, BTW, the "Volume Up" button for purpose of any update or reset is ALWAYS the one closest to the rotation lock button.
I'll sell mine and get a Samsung Galaxy Tab
Forget Acer BS
Thanks for confirming it worked!
Originally Posted by Ranger
I'll update the steps right away.
I actually got this to work!!! Based on the original instructions from Land Master @ xda-developers:
This file is Honeycomb 3.2.1 and already named "update.zip" and can be flashed by placing it on the Root of your SD Card. Once placed there hold the Tablet in Landscape position (Volume buttons on top left, home button middle right). Then press and hold the leftmost volume rocker and press and hold power. When the tablet starts up release the power button and continue to hold the leftmost volume rocker until the file begins to install.
Once the tablet has rebooted and you have confirmed you are now on 3.2.1 remove the file update.zip from your sd card (Very Important!)
Go to settings and search for new updates. Voila... ICS ready to download.
These simpler instructions worked for me.
1. Download this (Acer_A100_1.014.08_COM_GEN1 <<< MD5 = cc1bc6becdca06a70ace5615e120dd0a (This is the Stock 3.2 HC firmware from XDA (Thanks XDA))):
2. Place the file on your external SD card (no renaming necessary due to the fact it is already named update.zip). Make sure your card is FAT32 formatted. It's fairly straightforward to format the card and you can easily find instructions on your favorite search engine on how to do that.
3. Turn unit off.
4. Place the tablet in horizontal position and ensure it is plugged into the wall charger.
5. Press and hold the left (up) volume rocker and press and hold power button. Release power button BUT CONTINUE TO HOLD THE VOLUME ROCKER until you see the load screen (Andriod guy). Once you see Android Guy, release and walk away from the tablet for about five to 10 minutes.
6. Come back to the tablet (which should have automatically restarted), and go to Settings, About Tablet, System Update.
7. Keep installing system updates until you get to ICS.
8. Enjoy the rest of your life!
Could you please provide a link to the file you downloaded and I'll use that in the instructions as its now tested to work.
Originally Posted by Ranger
Use this file takes you to 3.2.1 and then you just do 1 upgrade to new release OTA http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?txhsq9k7zvwk9ud
Originally Posted by Darkbulb