• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How to move from 3.2 to ICS on your A100

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kernschatten View Post
    These steps don't look right. Steps 4-11 are for a hard reset and should not be needed at this point.

Warning: You risk BRICKING YOUR DEVICE!!!!! Proceed cautiously. If you have strong doubts about doing this, don't do it. If you have no hesitation at all, maybe you should not do this. Just be aware, you are risking your device.

Recommended that you use a freshly FAT32 formatted SD card.

Download a file. Please research your file carefully so you know what you are installing.

Rename your file of choice "update". (If you rename it "update.zip" you may end up with "update.zip.zip" which will not work. Check your file extensions.)

(Note: I have not done this on an Acer Tab. The Volume buttons change with screen orientation. I need to check if the Volume button closest to the Power button is always "Up" when booting the device.)

Power tab off.

Plug in to charger. (Required fot OTA updates. May no be needed for manual install, but why chance it. Besides, you do not want your battery to die during this.)

Hold down Volume Up.

While holding Volume Up, press and hold Power button until startup screen begins.

Release Power button only, keep holding Volume Up.

When the "Boot" screen (should be Android guy) begins release Volume Up button.

The update should begin installing.

Wait patiently, this could take 5 to 10 minutes or more. (Seriously, let it be. If it takes more than 15 minutes you may have bricked your device.)

Your device should reboot when it is done.

If you installed an update, all of your Apps and data should still be there.
    You may experience some lag or force closes. If so, try a soft reset with the reset pin hole. You may want to try it more than once.
    If your problems persist try a Factory Reset using the Settings screen. This WILL wipe out the Apps and data on your tablet. It will not remove the update that you installed.
    These are great, clearly written steps. I'll adjust my instructions above to reflect them.
    I did include a hard-reset as well as I read on xda that some users had to go through it in order to get a new ROM working but I can take it out.
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I've done this myself and it worked, but I don't recall which volume button was "up" or "down".
    Was it the volume button closer to the rotation lock, or further?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    If held vertically it is closest to the lock, horizontally it is furthest from the lock.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I followed the directions, but would get the Android guy with the "x" through him.
    My tab wasn't bricked though. I could just shut it down with the power button and reboot to where it was before.

Then I went through and figured out there is a significant step missing.
    The file I downloaded was named: SD_Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_full_user.7z

Renaming that to "update.zip" was where things got screwed up.
    Instead I OPENED that file with an extractor.
    (I'm on a Mac and used one called BetterZip.

It showed me a folder called "SD_Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_full_user" and within THAT folder was a filed named "update.zip"

I extracted that and put the extracted update.zip (no renaming) onto the MicroSD and proceeded with the instructions.

It took several minutes (I don't know how long, I lose patience watching so I walked away and did something else) but rebooted into Gen1 and 3.2.1.
    Then I looked for an update and, Voila!, ICS is waiting.
    That is now installing OTA as I write this.

And, BTW, the "Volume Up" button for purpose of any update or reset is ALWAYS the one closest to the rotation lock button.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'll sell mine and get a Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Forget Acer BS

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I followed the directions, but would get the Android guy with the "x" through him.
    My tab wasn't bricked though. I could just shut it down with the power button and reboot to where it was before.

It showed me a folder called "SD_Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_full_user" and within THAT folder was a filed named "update.zip"

I extracted that and put the extracted update.zip (no renaming) onto the MicroSD and proceeded with the instructions.

It took several minutes (I don't know how long, I lose patience watching so I walked away and did something else) but rebooted into Gen1 and 3.2.1.

And, BTW, the "Volume Up" button for purpose of any update or reset is ALWAYS the one closest to the rotation lock button.
    Thanks for confirming it worked!
    I'll update the steps right away.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I actually got this to work!!! Based on the original instructions from Land Master @ xda-developers:

This file is Honeycomb 3.2.1 and already named "update.zip" and can be flashed by placing it on the Root of your SD Card. Once placed there hold the Tablet in Landscape position (Volume buttons on top left, home button middle right). Then press and hold the leftmost volume rocker and press and hold power. When the tablet starts up release the power button and continue to hold the leftmost volume rocker until the file begins to install.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?txhsq9k7zvwk9ud

Once the tablet has rebooted and you have confirmed you are now on 3.2.1 remove the file update.zip from your sd card (Very Important!)

Go to settings and search for new updates. Voila... ICS ready to download.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    These simpler instructions worked for me.

1. Download this (Acer_A100_1.014.08_COM_GEN1 <<< MD5 = cc1bc6becdca06a70ace5615e120dd0a (This is the Stock 3.2 HC firmware from XDA (Thanks XDA))):

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d9f7fdtha2k617k

2. Place the file on your external SD card (no renaming necessary due to the fact it is already named update.zip). Make sure your card is FAT32 formatted. It's fairly straightforward to format the card and you can easily find instructions on your favorite search engine on how to do that.

3. Turn unit off.

4. Place the tablet in horizontal position and ensure it is plugged into the wall charger.

5. Press and hold the left (up) volume rocker and press and hold power button. Release power button BUT CONTINUE TO HOLD THE VOLUME ROCKER until you see the load screen (Andriod guy). Once you see Android Guy, release and walk away from the tablet for about five to 10 minutes.

6. Come back to the tablet (which should have automatically restarted), and go to Settings, About Tablet, System Update.

7. Keep installing system updates until you get to ICS.

8. Enjoy the rest of your life!

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Could you please provide a link to the file you downloaded and I'll use that in the instructions as its now tested to work.
    Thanks!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbulb View Post
    Could you please provide a link to the file you downloaded and I'll use that in the instructions as its now tested to work.
    Thanks!
    Use this file takes you to 3.2.1 and then you just do 1 upgrade to new release OTA http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?txhsq9k7zvwk9ud

Ads