• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How to move from 3.2 to ICS on your A100

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    I don't recommend a direct update to ICE as Bilderberg recommends. You do not know at this point if you will get any updates going into the future, and may have to go through all of this again to get any other updates that may come out.

By doing what the first post in this thread shows... it allows Acer, and your tablet to send/recieve the OTA updates, and they WORK (to get us to ICE). This also means that future updates will be accessible through OTA updates. Just a safer bet, unless you really want to live on the wild side and download unknown images from an unknown chinese site... to each is own.

The ICS update I linked to is provided by a very well respected member at XDA forums. I would trust anything Zeronull releases. It has been confirmed as the official OTA update. The tab/acer won't know if the update was provided OTA or via sd card. Even if on the off chance it doesn't recieve a future update, I believe 100% it will be avaialbe here or xda.

Updating to some "unknown" 3.2.1 update has the same risks, doesn't matter if it uploaded by some dude in the next town or someone from another country. Quite insulting that because somebody has english as a second language they are less trustworthy as an english speaking person from the US.
    Last edited by bilderberg; 05-02-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added quote

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlutker View Post
    I called just before the last post about the Bluetooth address etc - almost exact same conversation. I told him I may just do a reset to see what would happen - he said I could but this is a known issue with specific models. Same time frame given but did not tell me to leave BT on. He said the pushes will be pushed out as a 'first come first serve' basis.

I thought about just resetting for a clean slate when I get ICS - if anyone sees any issue you can think of by doing this let me know.
    In case anyone just happens to want to know - factory reset gave me a clean start but no ICS update came up. I am still at 3.2.1 Gen2 and the Bluetooth address is the same. Apparently the Bluetooth address is how they are identifying the specific users they will be pushing the update to once you call and let them know.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bilderberg View Post
    The ICS update I linked to is provided by a very well respected member at XDA forums. I would trust anything Zeronull releases. Updating to some "unknown" 3.2.1 update has the same risks, doesn't matter if it uploaded by some dude in the next town or someone from another country. Quite insulting that because somebody has english as a second language they are less trustworthy as an english speaking person from the US.
    Bilderberg, I was not saying that any one country is better than another, and I do agree that Zeronull (Member Since 2012) can be a trusted member of XDA, as I am a long time member as well (Member Since 2007). My point being simply, if it is a modded update, it is pretty well known that you will no longer receive OTA updates. With the release that is presented on this site and hosted by me, I can guarantee you will get OTA releases as you have to get them to get ICE.

Case closed...
    Last edited by tutungzone; 05-02-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlutker View Post
    ...factory reset gave me a clean start but no ICS update came up. I am still at 3.2.1 Gen2 ...
    MLutker, yeah I would say that was to be expected. Not sure how a reset would get you anywhere, especially everything dealing with bluetooth. However, if I were you I would check around on Acer forums as well on XDA to see if anyone has had any problems with going from 3.2.1 Gen2 to 3.2.1 Gen1 using the method described on this forum. If it were me, I would have tried it to see already then posted the results. I seriously think the "downgrade" will work the same as the 3.2 Gen2 A100's that we have seen.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok I know my question is going to show what a Noob I am but.... I am Running 3.2 ComGen2 and NOT receiving the ICS update, so I am going to try to follow the wonderful instructions on here and upgrade/downgrade to 3.2.1 (I downloaded to my computer the update.zip file a couple of pages back). My RIDICULOUS Noob question is when you all are speaking about SD card to format, are you talking about an SD card that I should slip into my COMPUTER or a MICRO SD card that I should put into the Acer Iconia A100??

I know it sounds like a silly question, but since I have NEVER done anything like this before, and have run out of patience with Acer, I thought I would try it. I APPRECIATE any help in advance. I will attempt to follow the instructions of the first page of this post once I figure out if I need BOTH an SD card and a MicroSD (dont have one currently but will go get one) and if I am supposed to plug the Acer A100 into my COMPUTER via USB and just install it on the MicroSD card that I put in the A100.

THANKS in advance for the clarification guys!!!

Btw it was TuTungzone zipfile from page 16. THANKS!! I look forward to trying this once I get a little clarification of my silly question above!!
    Last edited by jjwred; 05-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwred View Post
    Ok I know my question is going to show what a Noob I am but.... I am Running 3.2 ComGen2 and NOT receiving the ICS update, so I am going to try to follow the wonderful instructions on here and upgrade/downgrade to 3.2.1 (I downloaded to my computer the update.zip file a couple of pages back). My RIDICULOUS Noob question is when you all are speaking about SD card to format, are you talking about an SD card that I should slip into my COMPUTER or a MICRO SD card that I should put into the Acer Iconia A100??

I know it sounds like a silly question, but since I have NEVER done anything like this before, and have run out of patience with Acer, I thought I would try it. I APPRECIATE any help in advance. I will attempt to follow the instructions of the first page of this post once I figure out if I need BOTH an SD card and a MicroSD (dont have one currently but will go get one) and if I am supposed to plug the Acer A100 into my COMPUTER via USB and just install it on the MicroSD card that I put in the A100.

The update needs to go on a microSD card to go into the tab. Most microSD cards come with a microSD to SD adapter so you can insert it into your pc or memory card reader. Insert the card into your PC, right click it in "my computer", select format > Fat32. After it is formated, copy and paste the update.zip on to the microSD card. Than procede with the instructions.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times

Btw it was TuTungzone zipfile from page 16. THANKS!! I look forward to trying this once I get a little clarification of my silly question above!!
    Hi, and not a ridiculous question.

We are referencing a microSD card that will fit into your tablet.
    Many people use an adapter with their microSD so that you can also put it into your computer (makes transferring larger files easier between computer/tablet).

All you really need is the microSD card.
    Either a) download the update.zip directly to your tablet and then use file manager to place it in the ROOT (top-directory) of your microSD card or b) download to your computer and and transfer it over using dropbox/box/google drive, etc.

Just be sure the microsd card is empty, FAT32 formatted and that the file is in the top directory (root) of your sd card.

(NOTE: Once you are done with your up-/downgrade don't forget to remove the update.zip file from your sdcard).

Edit: Bilderberg beat me to it

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    The reference is to the MicroSD card in the A100.

I find references to an SD card annoying when the person really means MicroSD (or, as old-timers recall, TransFlash). Twice I've either ordered or asked a salesperson for a MicroSD and was given an SD card. Arghhhhh!!!
    So, no, jjwred, not an SD card, not a miniSD card. But a MicroSD that is inserted into your A100.

Edited: Ha Ha! Evidently others also wanted to answer this question! At least we all agree.
    Last edited by Ranger; 05-02-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Ranger!! In reading all 18 pages after my post, I kind of surmised that was the case. I am off to go buy a MICRO-SD card now!! So I just load the MICRO-SD card with the update.zip file by drag and dropping from my computer to the Micro SD card then just pop the MicroSD card in the a100 and follow the instructions on the first page right???

Thanks for clarifying btw Ranger. I really thought they meant MicroSD but since the instructions were so detailed I figured they MEANT an SD card....lol

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Good catch. Initial post updated to reference microSD card and not just "SD card"

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links