• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MRC01

Thread: GPS without wifi

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

GPS without wifi

I have not seen th GPS work unless the A100 is around my wifi. Is this the way it should be?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Yeah, that is just the way it is. You will need a application like Sygic for it to work without service.

Sent from Rob's Atrix.
    Last edited by RobKort; 02-27-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Welcome To AcerTabletForum

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The tablet needs to hit WiFi once every week or two to keep the A-GPS data up-to-date. But the GPS works just fine without WiFi so long as the A-GPS data is not too stale. In short, if you've used WiFi within the past week or two, the GPS should work fine.

There is a great app called "GPS Status" that shows you how old the A-GPS data is, automatically downloads it, shows you status of GPS and all satellites being tracked, etc. It's free but I liked it so much I paid for it.
    LBWood likes this.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I just used Google Maps Navigation a few days ago for driving directions and it worked fine in the car without being connected to wifi.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Google maps nav sort of works when not on WiFi, but I switched to Sygic because of the following problems with Google Maps when not on the network:
    1. It can't find directions or routes when off-network. You must get the directions & route when on the network, before going off-network.
    2. No re-routing. If you're offline and miss a turn, it can't reroute while you're driving.
    3. No screen keep-awake. Screen goes dark while you're driving unless you touch it every few minutes.
    4. If screen does go dark and you have to switch it back on, it sometimes "forgets" the directions you had and you can't get them back if you're offline.
    5. Buggy - crashes. If you switch to another app, zoom in & out, etc. too much it crashes or loses the directions.
    6. Limited areas: can only handle 10 small pre-cached areas in memory.

Sygic has none of the above limitations, is far more useful. You can load multiple states and countries into memory, do everything - finding directions, routing, etc. offline. It is simpler to use, more stable and reliable too. Automatically reroutes as you drive if you miss turns, too many other nice features to list.

Ads