• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: connecting a camera or camera storage card to the A100?

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

connecting a camera or camera storage card to the A100?

Hi.

I want to find the easiest way to transfer photos from my camera to the A100 (ie not using a PC as an intermediary). My camera uses compact flash and can connect using FTP. If i had the correct lead, would it be possible to connect the camera directly to the A100 and transfer images? Or could I load the CF card in a reader and plug it into the A100?

I have downloaded the Astro app. Will that help me?

Thanks.

PS a bit late now. Will look for replies tomorow am. Cheers.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Astro would definitely will help. I just don't know the best way to connect your camera to the tab other than using a PC and transferring it to the tab.

Sent From Rob's DarkSided ATRIX.
    Last edited by RobKort; 01-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this question, so someone must have considered this before.

My options seem to be:

1. Buy a lead that will allow me to connect camera to tab (tiny usb at each end) and try that. Perhaps wasteful, if it doesn't work.
    2. Buy some sort of USB adapter (with a standard sized female at each end), that will allow me to use the existing tab and camera leads together, joined at the adapter and try that. Perhaps not too costly but still may not work.
    3. Buy a compact flash card and micro sdhc adapter and use these in the camera in future. When I want to transfer photos, put the sd card in the tab, transfer photos into internal memory, then put the tabs external sd card back and transfer photos back to that, or buy an sd card reader plus suitable lead and use that to connect to the tabs USB to transfer photos in. Not sure how the camera would behave using SD memory instead of CF.

I don't want to buy adapters/leads just to find it doesn't work, hence the questions.

So, has anyone else been here before me?

Oh BTW, the whole point of this is that I want to be able to take just the tab and my camera on hols, not the laptop. I want to be able to view my photos on the tab while away, with minimum fuss and bagage.

Thanks.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yea, I have been trying/playing to get things like USB keyboard, USB flash drive, camera card reader, and so on to work on the A100 for the same reasons you are. I know that I can get a bluetooth keyboard but those are expensive and that doesnt solve the other issues, I have written to Acer and they have told me that there are no upgrades planned to make the USB on the device do any more then it does now which is to bad given the speed and usability of this tablet. For now, we are both waiting for the hackers to solve our issue.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks.

So, do you think connecting an sd card reader and card directly to the tabs usb socket wouldn't allow something like ASTRO to see the image files on it and allow me to transfer them into the external SD?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It didnt work for me, I have a "female to female" USB adapter which is waht I used to try and connect the USB keyboard but the tablet did not recognize anything I have tried so the USB may very well be slave only and not master. I have ES file browser and it did not see the files on my camera card either (probably because the tablet does not see the reader). I have not tried Astro, is that also a file browser?? Anyway, I cant get the tablet to see anything other than when it is plugged into my computer.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been struggling with this for a week or so and finally found a workaround! John B47, your third option is the one I have been messing with. Finally got it to work:

Step 1: Buy a microSD card (with full size SD adapter), and use that in your camera to replace the regular SD card. I would suggest a class 4+ card so you can get adequate read/write speed. You will need to format the card in your camera before using it, after that it should function normally.

Step 2: When you want to transfer the photos, move the microSD from your camera to the external slot in your tablet.

Step 3: At this point, you should have access to the photos. The stock "Gallery" app should be able to see your pictures. For some reason though, many other apps (like "Music") can't see into the external SD slot, which is irritating if you want to use it for other files.... still working on that haha.

Step 4: To locate & use any other files, you'll need to download a file manager app such as Astro or ES File explorer. Go into the preferences and change the "root folder" or "home directory" to /mnt/. The regular directory will be /mnt/sdcard/ (which is the internal memory) so if you change it to just /mnt/ you can see EVERYTHING on your tablet, including your microSD which will be labelled external_sd.

Hope that helps!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    P.S. After doing lots of online research, I can say with confidence that the a100 DOES NOT have USB host functionality. It can only act as slave. Basically, you can't plug a USB into it and expect to have any control from the tablet... which seems ridiculous considering all the other stuff this tablet can do

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I managed to see my pics from my micro card (from cell Ph pics)....but the question I have is:-) ..how do you save them to your tablet? When o remove card..they are gone ?

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the input brtuttle. This seems all very odd to me too. I found this on the Acer website:

"What devices are supported in the USB port on my Android tablet?

The Android tablet currently supports USB keyboards, USB mice, USB mass storage devices, and a number of other USB human interface devices. Future software updates may expand support for additional USB devices."

So, would you not class a memory device, like a compact flash card in an adapter, as a USB mass storage device? Certainly Wikipedia does. I can't try this myself yet - I've just ordered a female to female usb adapter for a few pence. Will try it out and report back (perhaps just to confirm your findings).

Tracy - you need to download a file manager app like ES File Explorer or Astro - this will allow you to 'see' the files on your external sd card and copy/move them into the tab. Have a play around and get back here if you can't get it to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links