• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: connecting a camera or camera storage card to the A100?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah, this tablet does not have USB host. I hope that we will get it with ICS if the hardware supports it. Until then, you can't do any of these transfers, which, I agree, sucks.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, brtuttle I've now proved this for myself - although I was pretty sure that you and others were correct in saying you can't use the usb port to connect storage devices.

I'm still puzzled by the statement on the Acer site, to the effect that "The Android tablet currently supports USB keyboards, USB mice, USB mass storage devices, and a number of other USB human interface devices."

Is it just me, or should this not mean what it says?

Thinking that this might actually be an Android V3 deficiency, I've tried Googling for "host usb support in android ics?" and came up with various comments like "Android 4.0 will support the ability to connect USB devices such as a controller or gamepad (or hard drive). While USB hosting was introduced in Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich will certainly bring it to the masses and just about every Android phone going forward (every phone running ICS, anyway)." Although that site seemed to be concerned mostly with the Galaxy Nexus.

So is it possible that the Acer statement simply means 'our device will support connection of USB devices, when the software is developed to allow that.'

Comments please?
    Last edited by JohnB47; 01-14-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Has anyone tried downloading one of the several market apps that are supposed to enable USB host mode in an Android Tablet?

A quick search found USB Device Info and AL Mass Storage Manager. And I'm sure there are others.

I don't have a storage device that plugs into micro USB, so I can't test it. But I'm risking all of $1.41 by ordering one of these so I can try out some thumb drives and SD card readers. (The extra 12 cents is for ordering from a California vendor rather than Hong Kong to speed up delivery a couple weeks.)
    If it works, it could be very useful to carry around data, photos, video and more on an external storage device for retrieval when desired.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for taking the risk.

I'll keep an eye here to see what progress you make.

It would be great to think that an app can "enable USB host mode in an Android Tablet" but I'm getting the strong feeling that Acer simply haven't done any hardware or software development to enable the micro USB port to act as a host (as others have said, of course). Seems mad to me. Maybe they'll do something in the future?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB47 View Post
    The Android tablet currently supports USB keyboards, USB mice, USB mass storage devices, and a number of other USB human interface devices. Future software updates may expand support for additional USB devices."
    Hi JohnB47, is that comment valid for A100 or just A500?.

USB Host is a matter of having supported HW plus device drivers to allow and operating system.
    There re a couple of threads talking about A100 usb host support. Not solution found yet, indeed
    A100 USB: master, slave or both?
    Rooting Iconia A100 Made Easy

it seems that something like your 3rd point or playing around SD wireless + CF adaptor. I have not heard about a wireless CF yet.

BR,

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well, that quote is on a page you get to by specifying that you want to see answers about the a100. But I think now that the site is just not too good - you can't trust that the info you are reading is relevant to your tab.

Oh, and I've just been reading up about wireless sdhc cards - wow. They seem too good to be true. Pity thy,re so expensive.
    Last edited by JohnB47; 01-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    After trying a few different apps, I was not able to mount any USB storage devices.

The $1.41 micro to female USB converter noted in my post above can be used with standard USB cable to connect the A100 to my computer, so that isn't likely the issue. Micro2femaleUSB.jpg
    I hope it's a firmware issue that can be fixed with ICS. C'est la vie.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was just about to buy a female-female USB adapter to connect my A100 with my Sony NEX-7 Camera, but then I ended up in this forum saying that it is not possible. Then I read the A100 user manual, and it says it has a "Micro USB connector (SLAVE)", so I guess that means it can be used to connect the A100 as a slave device, but cannot control a device connected to it.

However, does anybody knows if this has changed now that the A100 has been upgraded to Android 4?, or is it a hardware issue that cannot be solved with firmware.

Thank you.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    It's a hardware issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links