• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: GPS or not?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

GPS or not?

Hi everyone.
    i'm thinking of getting an A100. Now the question is: has it got GPS (since the A100 is wifi only), a real stand-alone GPS receiver, like my 5800MusicExpress? What is A-GPS opposed to GPS? And there still seems to be an issue regarding the size of RAM, even on the acer web site...
    No GPS and 1MB RAM - no Acer A100.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes, it has GPS and it does not require an internet connection to use it. However, it is still A-GPS, which means that if you do have internet, it will download satellite information to help expedite the lock process.

Keep in mind, the Google Maps app DOES require internet connection, so even if you have a GPS lock, you won't see maps with that app. If you use an offline map app like Sygic, the maps are all stored on your device.

1GB ram.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Google maps, now includes a beta option to store maps cached on your SD card. have't tried it, but if it works, it may solve those issues. Still requires you have internet connection ahead of time to load the cache.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMD View Post
    Google maps, now includes a beta option to store maps cached on your SD card. have't tried it, but if it works, it may solve those issues. Still requires you have internet connection ahead of time to load the cache.
    That's great news. It will be great for travelling the backroads where my stock GPS in the vehicle shows me as in the middle of nowhwere.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMD View Post
    Google maps, now includes a beta option to store maps cached on your SD card.
    I assume the OP means 1 GB of RAM, not 1 MB...
    Yes the A100 has 1 GB RAM and a real GPS. The A-GPS means it has to hit wireless to download orbital data to find the satellites. But it has to do that only once every week or two. The GPS works with or without wireless. If you connect via wireless at least once per week for any reason the GPS will stay up-to-date and work all the time.

Google map caching in memory of up to 10 areas works beautifully and I use it all the time. The cached data enables it to track where you are with all the detailed streets & street names etc. The only limitation is that it won't give you directions even if the start & destination are in a cached area. Directions always require internet access.

I am a pilot and have an app called Avilution that downloads FAA charts to memory and uses the GPS to track you in real time on the charts as you fly. No wireless in my Cessna at altitude, but the GPS & maps work flawlessly in the cockpit. And the A100's internal GPS is more reliable & accurate than the built-in GPS in an iPhone or iPad. Most pilots using the iPad in the cockpit are using an external GPS.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes, navigation will always require internet. If you are walking and don't need navigation, offline google maps are great, but if you want it for navigation, it is not worth the effort of preloading the areas.

I use Sygic that takes about 360 MB (Ohio only) and it has maps and points of interest. I can download more states if I need them, but it is nice not to have to worry about caching specific areas and preloading the navigation when I have net connection since Sygic doesn't need the net connection for navigation.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I also use SYGIC. Once you get the GPS lock, you can turn off wifi and use it offline. There is a free trial and then it costs about 20 bucks.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info.
    One more question though: can the A100 connect to wifi if i switch on my hotspot (Joikuspot) of my 5800ExpressMusic. We have a MID7 tablet with Android 2.2 and that cannot find my phone's hotspot.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    I also use SYGIC. Once you get the GPS lock, you can turn off wifi and use it offline. There is a free trial and then it costs about 20 bucks.
    I just want to clarify to the OP because that statement is misleading. Tomz, you make it sound like you need WiFi in order to get a GPS lock, but that is not the case. It is faster if you have WiFi, but you can get lock just fine without WiFi at all.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Is Sygic really a one-time purchase that provides map updates forever? There's no subscription needed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads