• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: want to watch Hulu?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times

want to watch Hulu?

The reason Hulu doesn't play is because there is an identifying string (similar to an HTTP user-agent header) that your Flash client sends to the server. Hulu reads this and disables service if it says you have an Android device.
    Changing the user-agent header in your browser doesn't fix it, because that's a different string.
    The identifier is hard coded into one of the Flash libraries. I found it and replaced it, now Hulu plays on my A100.

I tried to attach the .so file, but it was too big (4MB zipped). But you can do this yourself. Copy your "libflashplayer.so" file to a PC, open with a hex editor and search for "AND 10". It will appear only once. Replace it with "WIN 10".
    EDIT: "10" becomes "11" with the Flash update released on Tu 10/4.
    Save it under a new filename; this is your replacement lib. I named mine "libflashplayer.so.fix.10.3.186.7".

The library lives here on your A100: /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib
    Instructions:
    First, root your A100
    Next, copy the lib you saved above to "/sdcard/Download". You can use Dropbox, USB or whatever.
    Now, open a terminal on your A100 and enter these commands:
    cd /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib
    cp libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.orig
    cp /sdcard/Download/libflashplayer.so.fix.10.3.186.7 ./libflashplayer.so
    chmod 555 libflashplayer.so

Done. Now enjoy Hulu. Every time your A100 hard boots it will replace this file back to the default, so keep the replacement around in a convenient spot to overwrite.

P.S. in the file, the replacement string appears starting at offset 6153396 or 0x5de4b4, near the end of the file. This is useful in case you want to double-check you replaced the right one.
    Last edited by MRC01; 10-05-2011 at 09:19 AM.
    Ramil likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Why does Hulu disable the service just because you have an Android device? That seems stupid.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It does indeed sound stupid. Of course Hulu wouldn't do this if they weren't forced to - the shows are monetized with ads and they want the widest possible viewership.
    I believe it is based on limitations of their distribution agreements with the content providers. Basically, the folks who own the content Hulu is distributing, control what kind of devices it can stream to.
    Last edited by MRC01; 09-28-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Sure is stupid, but the same goes with netflix to some degree.

There are most likely lots of big money behind it deciding who gets to watch what and on what device.

Weird to ban Android as a platform though.

I see HULU is working on ios through an app. But can ios access HULU through its browser?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by st23r View Post
    ... can ios access HULU through its browser?
    Nope, because Hulu streaming is flash-based and Apple in its infinite wisdom decided that Flash wasn't worthy of their holy ecosystem and their users must be protected from experiencing it.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    That makes it even that more irritating, so HULU is ok for MAC, PC and Linux machines but banned for Android?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    They haven't singled out Android, It doesn't work on iOS either.
    Again, "They" are the content owners, not Hulu.
    Those of us with Android devices can easily get around this. iOS device users aren't so lucky.
    Last edited by MRC01; 09-28-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I applied the same hack to the new Flash 11 that updated on Tu 10/4. Works great.
    There is one difference in the hack procedure. In the .so file, search for "AND 11" instead of "AND 10". You will find it near the end of the file. Replace AND with WIN as before.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The reason I found behind this is because tablets are considered "moble" devices and HULU requires money to stream to moble devices.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    huluplus.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by st23r View Post
    That makes it even that more irritating, so HULU is ok for MAC, PC and Linux machines but banned for Android?
    NO... I'm watching HuluPlus on my Droid X. But I wish I would have known that it didn't work on the A100 (just found out about the Netflix problem as well and I ordered an A100 this morning!). I don't want to root my device(s), as I'd rather have the official product.
    Last edited by RadRich; 10-07-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Ads