• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

1gb ram or 512mb??

Hey guy I just got the tab and I was under the impression that it had 1gb ram but advanced task killer is showing 512mb, was 1gb a misprint on the box?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgarza View Post
    Hey guy I just got the tab and I was under the impression that it had 1gb ram but advanced task killer is showing 512mb, was 1gb a misprint on the box?
    If you go to settings > about tablet > device information it says 1 GB.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Arrow You should not use task killers with Honeycomb

Quote Originally Posted by paulgarza View Post
    You should not use task killers with Honeycomb. Back in the early days of android, they sometimes kind of helped because 1st gen devices had very little ram and the vendors sometimes did a poor job of setting memory management parameters.
    What people don’t seem to realize is that android is designed to have a large number of tasks stored in memory at all times. The hardware isn’t as fast as a desktop or a laptop, so in order to get that same “snappy” feeling, there have to be workarounds. One of these is how android deals with memory. Android will load up apps and then hold them in background until it absolutely has to kill them. This is because that way, if you want to re-open an app, the system already has it loaded and can then just resume it instead of reloading it. This provides a significant performance increase. Therefore Android tries to have about 80% of the ram used at all times. This is by design, not a flaw.
    What a lot of people don’t realize as well is that android kernels have their own task manager. This means that the built-in manager is far more efficient than any app-based task manager as it is run at the kernel level, and it should be left up to that task killer to decide when to free up memory. If you run a third party task killer on Honeycomb it will most likely be slower and use more battery because it will be fighting with the built-in memory manager. So don't do it.
    Last edited by DigitalMD; 09-26-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    If you use a Task Killer with Android ...
    Two very large and burly looking people in black trench coats will show up at your door !
    They will take your phone away from you.

This is for real....I read it some place.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by kdkinc; 09-26-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMD View Post
    You should not use task killers with Honeycomb. Back in the early days of android, they sometimes kind of helped because 1st gen devices had very little ram and the vendors sometimes did a poor job of setting memory management parameters.
    What people donít seem to realize is that android is designed to have a large number of tasks stored in memory at all times. The hardware isnít as fast as a desktop or a laptop, so in order to get that same ďsnappyĒ feeling, there have to be workarounds. One of these is how android deals with memory. Android will load up apps and then hold them in background until it absolutely has to kill them. This is because that way, if you want to re-open an app, the system already has it loaded and can then just resume it instead of reloading it. This provides a significant performance increase. Therefore Android tries to have about 80% of the ram used at all times. This is by design, not a flaw.
    What a lot of people donít realize as well is that android kernels have their own task manager. This means that the built-in manager is far more efficient than any app-based task manager as it is run at the kernel level, and it should be left up to that task killer to decide when to free up memory. If you run a third party task killer on Honeycomb it will most likely be slower and use more battery because it will be fighting with the built-in memory manager. So don't do it.
    This. However, I still have one installed, but I don't have it auto kill apps. When I have an app that is bugging out, it is quicker and easier to kill it with a task manager than with the Force Stop command in the OS.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kdkinc View Post
    If you use a Task Killer with Android ...
    Two very large and burly looking people in black trench coats will show up at your door !
    They will take your phone away from you.

This is for real....I read it some place.

Have a nice day.
    But he has a tablet, not a phone

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I also beta-test a lot of apps, which can routinely crash or fail to exit cleanly. A task killer, used judiciously (not auto-kill) is mandatory for testing, if you don't want to keep rebooting, a power button would wear out otherwise.

Ads