• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Return A500 for A100?

So I was at Walmart Sat. And decided to not pass up the $100 gift card on A500. Weird thing happened clerk thought they had none so I asked to see the A100. He presented the box but it was the A500. He was confused the sku didn't match the previous A500s. He scanned it and it came up $349. After 3 clerks intervention, I asked if I could get the $100 gift card on the $349 price. He said yes. They went to do it and the register then said item not for sale. In the end he overwrote the register but then said they had to sell at $398. So I took it and gift card. Didn't do much with it to me it seems too large. I have nook color with CM7 and travel often. If I exchange now will I end up paying more to get A100 since if is $328 and gift card ended ($50) on it Sat.?

Turns out they had 9 of the A500s but under a sku they couldn't sell. I expect to see it at $349 soon is my guess. None of the walmarts have put out the 7" on the display area.

Also on these how do you initially run the setup wizard?. This A500 I got keeps doing the demo and it doesn't run the Android first run wizard.

Does A100 have 512mb ram or 1gb? I've seen both listed.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
    So I was at Walmart Sat. And decided to not pass up the $100 gift card on A500. Weird thing happened clerk thought they had none so I asked to see the A100. He presented the box but it was the A500. He was confused the sku didn't match the previous A500s. He scanned it and it came up $349. After 3 clerks intervention, I asked if I could get the $100 gift card on the $349 price. He said yes. They went to do it and the register then said item not for sale. In the end he overwrote the register but then said they had to sell at $398. So I took it and gift card. Didn't do much with it to me it seems too large. I have nook color with CM7 and travel often. If I exchange now will I end up paying more to get A100 since if is $328 and gift card ended ($50) on it Sat.?

Turns out they had 9 of the A500s but under a sku they couldn't sell. I expect to see it at $349 soon is my guess. None of the walmarts have put out the 7" on the display area.

Also on these how do you initially run the setup wizard?. This A500 I got keeps doing the demo and it doesn't run the Android first run wizard.

Does A100 have 512mb ram or 1gb? I've seen both listed.
    I have the A100

They both run Honey Comb but the A500 is 3.1 where as the A100 is 3.2.
    Ram is 1 GB on the A100 dual core Tegra chip. (512 on each core).
    As far as rooting, soon I hope.
    The gift card deal is over but possibly you may convince a manager .

Down side is keep your charger handy 4-5 hours run time.

Spec page link.
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13140053537581
    Last edited by kdkinc; 08-22-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I don't think anyone can tell you which one is right for you.

What size would you prefer? More portable 7" or a bigger 10" screen?
    Is battery life important? The A100 has a crappy battery life so if you plan on heavy usage throughout the day and won't have access to charge it, the A100 might not be the right one for you.

There are pros and cons for each system and it comes down to how you plan on using it.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well if I return the A500 for $298 and would have to pay $328 for A100, that would not make sense (8gb versus 16gb, smaller screen), so I will do the refund and wait anyway.

Plus the A500 is not going into the Android registration wizard even after resetting data to factory and charging 4 hours then turning it on. So not sure what is up with that. Somebody who has the A500 said they had no problem getting into the initial Android registration.

How is A100 battery compared to Nook Color? I'm running CM7 (gingerbread) and typically get 8 hours (typically charging every night but sometimes not until next day), but not solidly streaming video or demanding things (sleep time included).

I see reviews that say A100 is 5 hours playing 720P video, that in my book is fairly demanding. How is it for browsing web a few hours, letting it go to sleep for hour or two, then reading a book for an hour, then maybe watching youtube for a couple hours, gaming for an hour, etc?

I typically lose around 10% battery on Nook overnight (sleep 8 hours approx.) That is slightly high, I think CM7 still has a bug on that, but I keep wireless on setting, which probably doesn't help.
    Last edited by jpconard; 08-22-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Took A500 back exchanged for A100. After calling tech. and getting level 2 it was determined that I was sold a demo unit (it was completely wrapped like a new one). That explains the different price, different sku, and the "do not sell" on the register. Why they didn't just grab another one of the shelf rather than forcing that one through I don't know.

Thanks to good Acer level 2 tech support. I knew something wasn't right but figured the demo thing was on all of them and it would go away after registering it.

They let me keep the $100 gift card and gave difference between $398 and $328. So not a bad deal @ $228.

I like looks of it. Figured I'll let it charge then turn it on. Figured I'd give it to wife to use at home and in new classroom. Now to find accessories, it is a little too slick to hold onto.

Ads