• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rooting Iconia A100 Made Easy

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times

Rooting Iconia A100 Made Easy

This is a method to root the Acer Iconia A100, as presently neither Gingerbreak, nor IconiaRoot 1.3 (or earlier versions) work. I used terminal (app from market, any will do), and performed the procedure below.

What you need:
    A copy of superuser, bin file, NOT .apk...

http://downloads.androidsu.com/super...bin-signed.zip

Place this file in the root of INTERNAL SD (mnt/sdcard, not external SD), and unzip it into this same directory. Still at root, /mnt/sdcard, locate and click 'system' folder, then 'bin' folder, and copy the su file. Nav back to sdcard root (mnt/sdcard), and paste su file.

Busybox Installer (.apk from market)
    Superuser (.apk from market) This will update the su file and install the Superuser app after rooting.
    Titanium Backup (.apk from market) or ANY application for root, to check and ensure you are indeed rooted.

With the su file loaded to internal sd's root, open terminal.

Copy/Paste the following commands at the $ prompt:

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'

/system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Once completed, install and open Busybox Installer.apk, and run the app to install Busybox. If it completes, you have root, if it fails, repeat the steps above.

Once busybox is installed, go ahead and install the other remaining apps, and 'Allow' when prompted for superuser access. Congrats! You've rooted your A100!!

Credit goes to several folks @ XDA, particularly: abliss, brendan802 and guags99
    Last edited by alphawave7; 08-18-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    Jesse6749 and 3stonelighter like this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Bonus Round! DING DING DING!! With a rooted A100, we can now get Netflix to play (without that pesky 12001 error).

Download a file, replace a file: libnvomx.so
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Nav to /system/lib, and locate your original libnvomx.so file, and rename it to libnvomx.bak (or similar), and copy/paste over the Xoom 3.1 version downloaded from above. Reboot your A100, and then try Netflix. Enjoy!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you!!
    Acer Iconia A100 8gb
    Apple iPad 2 3G 64gb Jailbreak
    Motorola Xoom 32gb wifi

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What about USB Host? Does that come with this root?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    What about USB Host? Does that come with this root?
    I believe this requires kernal and rom support too...and this root process doesn't change anything other than /system privileges. :-)

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I posted this in the xda thread, but haven't gotten a response. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I've followed these by inputting (copy/paste) these commands on the a100 itself in a terminal emulator, but have had no success. The commands cause no obvious response when entered into the terminal, but when I checked xbin for su, it's there. I've installed the superuser apk, but busybox install fails due to lack of root. Repeating the process doesn't change anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any other methods I can try?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTomas View Post
    I posted this in the xda thread, but haven't gotten a response. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I've followed these by inputting (copy/paste) these commands on the a100 itself in a terminal emulator, but have had no success. The commands cause no obvious response when entered into the terminal, but when I checked xbin for su, it's there. I've installed the superuser apk, but busybox install fails due to lack of root. Repeating the process doesn't change anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any other methods I can try?
    Did you get this figured out, or still need help?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah I got it. Sorry I forgot to follow up here. I'm having a different problem now. When selecting an individual contact from my contacts list, the screen crashes back to the launcher with no error. I've cleared the cache in the contacts app but it doesn't help. Ill probably post this somewhere else, but in case anyone knows the problem, I'd appreciate any help.

EDIT: Days later I realized I was getting my android devices / help threads confused. My contacts issue was with my droid x and was solved by defrosting all "yahoo" apps in titanium. Sorry for the mixup.
    Last edited by TheTomas; 08-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTomas View Post
    Yeah I got it. Sorry I forgot to follow up here. I'm having a different problem now. When selecting an individual contact from my contacts list, the screen crashes back to the launcher with no error. I've cleared the cache in the contacts app but it doesn't help. Ill probably post this somewhere else, but in case anyone knows the problem, I'd appreciate any help.
    Does this persist after a full reboot?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Does this persist after a full reboot?
    Thanks for the reply. It does persist and is not limited to individual contacts, but also includes creating new contacts as well as editing existing contacts. It's really annoying and any help would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads