• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rooting Iconia A100 Made Easy

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    rooting A100 is what I want to do but I'm not that up in this stuff. my question is what if i'm doing it wrong would it damage my Acer tab?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Hi there jtl4 - welcome to Acer Tablet Forums! We're delighted to have you as a member.

Rooting of any android device is something to approach with caution. Make sure you've read up on all the information and understand what is involved and that you also understand how to perform the actions which will root your device. The process of rooting does involve some risks - if you mess up the process, you could seriously damage your device - but carries with it rewards too. A rooted device is open to quite a few useful and fun modifications, and you're only limited by the hardware configurations of your device. Think of it as "Be all that you CAN be!"

That being said, there are responsibilities which go with rooting. Generally, rooting a device voids your warranty, so understand that fact and come to terms with it in your own mind. If you break it, it's YOUR problem on how to fix it. You can't mess up rooting or installing a custom rom and expect the place that sold you the device to give you a free replacement - the device they sold you worked fine until you started tinkering with it, right? It's not like a "do over" in a game. There are of course many resources available online, in case you run into problems, so you don't have to feel alone and helpless - just don't think "It's broke! I'll take it back and get another one" because it doesn't work that way.

-Mike

"Guidelines of Conduct" for AcerTabletForum.com

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Kemptville, Ontario Canada (40 miles south of Ottawa)
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow, when i read through a thread like this makes me realize just how little I know now about computers and the lingo used. I started with an IBM clone 8088 in 1980; operating system on one floppy and data storage on another, not even a hard drive. used to understand it all and now, it's like there is a complete new language. Again, Wow.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not sure what android version was running on the tab at the time this was posted, so before I start rooting, I'd like to know if this is the correct method for an acer100 (build number acer_a100_2.007.04_com_gen1) running android version 3.2.1

Would appreciate any info.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi Tammyltl, im not new to rooting but can advise you that i have the exact same tab and build number as you.

Rooting can open up a whole new element to your tab, i rooted mine as i bought order and chaos on my galaxy tab, yet the market wont let me install it on my acer. Now its rooted i can fool the market into thinking my a100 is an a500 and it will let me play my fave android game.

The main problem with rooting is that if you try and do stuff such as delete bloatware or things you are not familiar with you can soft brick your tab. normally this is recoverable and easily fixed by reinstalling a stock rom.

So if you read any guides carefully ( let other guinea pigs try out 1st ) and feel confident enough you should be fine, just dont mess around too much.
    UltraDroid likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Question: I rooted my A-100 to be able to run Netflix way back when, a week before Netflix came out with the no root needed version.
    Last night I tried to play a movie rented from the Android Market. When I tried to playback the movie, I received an onscreen error indicating that the movie cannot be play on a rooted device.
    If I go into settings/privacy/factory data reset, will that restore the device back to factory defaults, including removing the rooting?
    Thanks!

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Does anyone know for sure if I have a rooted a100 using this method, and I update it OTA, not via a custom cooked rom, will I still have root access, or if I lose root steps to obtain it again, like maybe updating the su binary or something?

I know it sounds weird, but I'm wanting to be ready to either deny the update or allow it, if I don't have root access I'm not updating to ics, unless there's a fix. Just curious to see what some of the guys who have upgraded to ics by either a cooked rom or a stock rom a from another tab.
    Last edited by ND4SPDN; 02-15-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    After reading all this I'm not sure I want to root my a100. Not a good idea for me to void my warranty.
    I want to copy songs from my a100 to my pc and other iconias. Tried usb but that no longer works
    for any of my devices. It used to work but now I have driver problems. I'm too old and tired to try to
    figure it out. I wish we could move stuff to the sd without rooting. I thought ics was going to fix that.
    NOT.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I would do this and not worry too much. It only takes a few minutes to unroot it again. I rooted mine about 2 weeks ago and wished I had done it sooner. I only had my 100 for about 3 weeks but was pretty sick of all the tabvert popups as well as not being able to do some things. I read a whole bunch of articles and instructions figured I,d wait till I cs came out then got sick of the adverts to the point about two days later I just went and did it. I downloaded the su file and I had versions of the terminal to use. Ran through the instructions and was done maybe two minutes later. I was expecting a real battle for an hour from all I had read but it really did only take about two minutes. Run su then permissions and reboot. The reboot takes the longest. I can't recall the nam the ad killer app but I changes the hosts files and all of a sudden no,more spamverts ! These adverts are so annoying had I known it was like this before I bought it I probably would not have bought it. When the ICS he comes out in march it will revert back to normal and from what I read no one is sure if this can just be. applied again. Anyway do it and don't worry about it, it works or it doesn't. It won't brick it and you can undo it.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Super easy root took all of ten seconds one button push.For ICS leak rw permissions work
    Full root for A100 ICS. Simple method. - xda-developers
    mamawm likes this.

Ads