• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is A100 worth buying?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The wifi sensitivity is fantastic, the gps not so much so far. I got a solid 5+ hours browsing, playing video and using the camera etc. However I played Baseball Pro on it and with the vibration going off constantly, it sucked battery pretty fast. I think disabling some off the lights and especially the vibrating feedback would be very helpful to the battery.

I'm having next to no luck with my gps while other devices I have are fast so that's not good.
    Acer Iconia A100 8gb
    Apple iPad 2 3G 64gb Jailbreak
    Motorola Xoom 32gb wifi

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What is the problem with the gps?

I read some a500 users say that turning off discovering location from wifi helps the gps lock on better.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    It's A-GPS so the first time you use it, you must be on wi-fi and it will take some time to come up. It first downloads orbital data over Wi-Fi and uses that to locate satellites. On the A500, the first time took about 30 minutes to get a fix. After that, GPS came up within 1 minute and didn't need Wi-Fi.

There are several good GPS utility apps on the Android Market. They show a graphical view of which satellites being tracked, where in the sky, signal strength for each, current position & altitude & accuracy.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I can see the satellites, so its there, but I can't get a fix using just GPS.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
    Acer Iconia A100 8gb
    Apple iPad 2 3G 64gb Jailbreak
    Motorola Xoom 32gb wifi

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. It sounds that A100 can actually keep running in 5 hrs, that may be enough or only slightly inadequate for daily use. Now I am eager to have one.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guthrien View Post
    I can see the satellites, so its there, but I can't get a fix using just GPS.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
    Is WiFi on? Did you try turning off determine location from wifi?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Battery life

Has anyone found an external battery booster? My old IQ3600 Garmin GPS has miserable battery life. I found an external case that held rechargable AA batteries and a connecting cable. The IQ sees it as external power and is happy. Should work for a tablet. I'm traveling and won't be able to test it on my A 500 for a couple of weeks.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm planning on getting this:

Amazon.com: Premium Solar Charger - Ultra Thin Solar Powered Backup Battery and Charger for Cell Phones, iPhone, iPod, and Most USB Powered Device - Also Includes Built-in LED Reading Light and Window / Windshield Suction Cups: Electronics

I don't think I will be using it on a daily basis, but something that I don't have to worry about keeping it charged if I just keep it in my car sucking in sunlight.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guthrien View Post
    I can see the satellites, so its there, but I can't get a fix using just GPS. ...
    Did you let it sit for 30+ minutes under clear unobstructed sky while connected to Wi-Fi?
    When I did this on the A500 for the first time, monitoring it with a GPS app from the Android Market, it saw several satellites within 5 minutes. I thought, "this is great, it works". But 15 minutes later it still didn't have a fix. I thought, "darn, it's broken". But I let it sit there longer and it took yet another 15 minutes or so for it to finally lock on and get a fix.
    After that it was quick - but that first time was incredibly slow.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I tethered it to my Sensation in the car on my way home, and it just sat there searching and searching. I turned on the GPS on the Sensation, and within 10 seconds, it got a lock, and another 10 seconds later the A100 had a lock. It really needs that helper, initially. It takes about 5 seconds to reacquire and reposition me after a screen wake, in GMaps.

Ads