• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: External battery for A100

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Car Charger

Hi There.

I've never owned a tablet, and am considering the A100 because it seems like the best value for a 7", with all the features I want. I'm a contractor, and want to be able to take it with me to job sites, which are mainly commercial and multi-family residential (apartment complexes) buildings under construction.

The battery life seems to be my only concern, and I stumbled upon this thread while googling "extended battery Acer A100". I guess nobody makes one?

Would this $8 car charger on ebay be ok to use?

I could charge it when needed in between jobs I suppose.

I'm looking for a 7" tablet to open a floor plan of the building (PDF), and be able to insert text into the PDF, take some pictures, attach them to a email and send it off, using my cell phone as a wifi hot spot.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    Matt

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog808 View Post
    Hi There.

I've never owned a tablet, and am considering the A100 because it seems like the best value for a 7", with all the features I want. I'm a contractor, and want to be able to take it with me to job sites, which are mainly commercial and multi-family residential (apartment complexes) buildings under construction.

The battery life seems to be my only concern, and I stumbled upon this thread while googling "extended battery Acer A100". I guess nobody makes one?

Would this $8 car charger on ebay be ok to use?

I could charge it when needed in between jobs I suppose.

I'm looking for a 7" tablet to open a floor plan of the building (PDF), and be able to insert text into the PDF, take some pictures, attach them to a email and send it off, using my cell phone as a wifi hot spot.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    Matt
    The big thing with the car chargers is you have to get one that is regulated at 12v output. Other wise it won't work. And obviously the proper connector.

It will be fine if your running your hotspot in infrastructure, but not if your running adhoc.

I'm not sure about editing pdf's, I know viewing is no problem. But I have never edited them. Hopefully someone else can say.
    ASK For Help In The Rescue Squad Forum ______
    Guide HOW TO: Perform A Factory Reset
    [ROM] A100 Stock ICS firmware
    Acer Support Website

Acer A100 -- CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    LG Nexus4 - ASOPA Kit Kat 4.4 -- LTE enabled
    i7 920 @4.2ghz - Evga X58 Classy - 8gb GSkill DDR3-1600 - HD6950 2gb @1ghz -1tb WD - Win7 Pro 64

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog808 View Post
    I use my phone as a Hot Spot without any problems. There are a number of apps available that let you easily insert text into a pdf file. I have done that with ezPDF Reader, so I know it works. Attaching a photo or other file to an email is simple using GMail or K-9.

Search for car chargers and you'll find plenty of discussions about which ones work.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spadilla View Post
    Thanks Chaos, it does require a cable with the correct adapter, and the one from bixmart was the best I could find without having to solder. It is possible to use radioshack adaptaplugs and a cable in between as well. The bixmart cable is about $10 less shipped.
    I got this setup and I'm wondering if you have the same problem as me. The part of the cable that fits into the battery is just a teeeeeny bit different than the DC cable that came with the battery. The result is that I have to keep pressure on the cable I got from Bixmart to make it work or the connection doesn't complete.

Do you have this problem as well?

Edit:

I fixed the issue by ordering this tip: http://www.bixmart.com/C31--30-x-11m...-D2_p_293.html and then just using the DC cable that came with the battery. As a bonus, the tip is angled and makes it easier to use the tablet while powering up!
    Last edited by Caelrie; 07-16-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I ordered one of these Amazon.com: Rechargeable 3800mah li-ion 12v Battery 1A Pack with DC Connector: Electronics and that bixmart angled adaptor
    Hopefully it will work, going camping in the shadow of Mt Hood this weekend. I cached a map of the area and would like to use the wee tabby's gps to make sure I don't get lost.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ... and the dc cable for the battery I got is 5.5x2.1... hopefully radio shack will have a 5.5x2.2 male - 5.5x2.1 male barrel connector...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ramil, I know this is a old post but, hopefully you or others will see it. Did you get this ext. charger, if so how did it work you? If not what did you eventually use? Thanks

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DalekG View Post
    I ordered one of these Amazon.com: Rechargeable 3800mah li-ion 12v Battery 1A Pack with DC Connector: Electronics and that bixmart angled adaptor
    Hopefully it will work, going camping in the shadow of Mt Hood this weekend. I cached a map of the area and would like to use the wee tabby's gps to make sure I don't get lost.
    How did the external battery work out for you?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Everything connected up and it works... if I get the angled connector *just right*. I might use some sugru on the tip to get the position right without having to hold it... or just get another Acer power supply and splice the cables together. If anyone is planning on getting one of these China-made 12v batteries, check the polarity with a multimeter first, before trying to use it with the tablet. Nowhere on the battery or wall wart is an indication of the polarity, and yeah its probably standard polarity but why risk it?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am jealous. I love the mountians but, no more for me since my back injury. How much extra time did you get from this external supply? And why did you have to keep moving the plug around? Did the plug from bixmart not fit correctly?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links